Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Surely that can't be right!!!????

Surely that can't be right!!!????

Old Aug 26th 2008, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Paula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nice
Default Surely that can't be right!!!????

Just out of curiosity I was checking flight prices for next year when we move, I'd heard a lot on here about Cathay so I thought Id check them out....but!!!!!!!!! over £12000...one way!! to Australia!!!!!! surely that cant be right! and thats economy too
Old Aug 26th 2008, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Surely that can't be right!!!????

We have just paid £1800 one way with a 2 night stay in Singapore - that is for 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

SilverH is an unknown quantity at this point

We are looking to go at the same time... yes its right... I was horrified as well...
Old Aug 26th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I booked singapore airlines 1 way for 900 yo yos. Clubtravel.ie got me the best deal I could find.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 4:30 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

12 thousand!!! you taking the whole of Peterlee with ya?
Search for cheap flights on here, there have been some good sites recommended.

Good luck
Old Aug 26th 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

Emirates one way 1st Sept cost us £630 each..then we used our airmiles from our trip last year to upgrade to business class from Dubai to Brisbane
Woo Hoo nearly there...
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:21 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

We had to book four adult seats and it cost £2,400 one-way.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Paula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nice

well I think its safe to say we wont be booking with Cathay We were expecting about £2500/£3000 but jeeeez I nearly fell through the floor when they quoted 12!!!!!!! lol for that Id want at least business class all the way

We booked through opodo when we went out there in 2006 and it only cost us £3500 for 2 adults, 2 kids but we flew air france to paris and then to singapore and they were horrendous...we flew qantas from singapore to perth and they were brilliant!
Will deffo be shopping around methinks lol
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Just wanted to say hello to a fellow 'Peterlee'er'. We moved out to the Gold Coast nearly three years ago. I have just booked to come back for 10 days (on my own without my family) for y best friends wedding (set off tomorrow night. I paid over the odds because it was booked at short notice, but I spent hours shopping around and there is often a big difference depending on the particular day you put in.

It is best if you view the flexible options to see all of the dates available.

Julia
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

SilverH is an unknown quantity at this point

Good god - I thought you made a mistake typing 12k - i thought you meant 1200 each...!!!
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I've had that happen when checking prices on the airlines website, nearly gave me a heart attack.

Airlines are constantly changing prices, classes to book in etc. Probably means they haven't released any cheap seats yet.

On a recent return from the UK we wanted another night in Singapore, was told no seats available so were wait-listed, kept checking and checking but nothing. Arrived in Singapore and went to the ticket desk and hey presto a seat for the next night was available. Then on the flight there were several seats free. As OH used to work as a travel agent he said because of our ticket restrictions the computer would show no seats available in our class, if we had a flexible ticket at more cost then we would have got it instantly. It's all very complicated! You would think in light of the current financial crisis they'd be glad to get bums on seats!

Try checking back in a few days or if not try going through an agent who might have access to the cheap seats.

Having said that I got our one-ways on Singapore directly through them and the seats were available through any agent I called.

Booking tickets is a very time consuming job these days.

Kim

p.s. Singapore want A$3k each for a round trip from Oz for next June - arghhh.

p.p.s anyone considering returning to the UK within the year for a holiday will be better off booking a return from the UK and continue to buy in the UK if you are going to make the trip regularly. Airfares from Oz are a complete rip off. One way from Mel to London = £800, the other way = £600 for a family that adds up.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paula_lou
Just out of curiosity I was checking flight prices for next year when we move, I'd heard a lot on here about Cathay so I thought Id check them out....but!!!!!!!!! over £12000...one way!! to Australia!!!!!! surely that cant be right! and thats economy too
Hi. It very much depends on the time of year, the day of the week and even down to the time of day. I just did 3 random date selections over the next 12 months, and one way fares from Heathrow to Sydney with Cathay ranged from $850.00 to $3,600.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

The reason it’s so much is because it’s too far ahead 12,000 is the full fare price, they airline has not released their prices yet, so it will stay at full fare until they do (which is a silly amount that no one pays).

I’m having the same problem looking for one way flight to Europe for July next year and it was $9,000.00 to book it last month, now when I look it’s down to $3,000 for the same date. Come October it will be down to about $1,300 so that’s when I’ll book.

You are just too early, wait a little and keep checking.

Mikey
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
Hi,

Just wanted to say hello to a fellow 'Peterlee'er'. We moved out to the Gold Coast nearly three years ago. I have just booked to come back for 10 days (on my own without my family) for y best friends wedding (set off tomorrow night. I paid over the odds because it was booked at short notice, but I spent hours shopping around and there is often a big difference depending on the particular day you put in.

It is best if you view the flexible options to see all of the dates available.

Julia
Oh wow, hello!!! How r u finding life in Oz?? I suppose anything is better than Peterlee huh??? It hasnt changed any in the last 3 years I can tell you
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much everyone! Its scary the difference in prices with different airlines isnt it!! Dont have a deffo date to go or anything yet so have plenty of time to wait

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.