Reload this Page >

Support from Australian government for the new immigrants

Support from Australian government for the new immigrants

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

geraldine2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Support from Australian government for the new immigrants

Dear all

Iam presently in australia working on pr visa with my family.(one wife and two school going girls)

Presently iam receiving some payment from centrelink for my kids.

What dolls or payment i received if i loose my job after three years.

for example my monthly salary is aus dollars 5000.

I will be gratefull if all of you reply.

Many Thanks

Gerald

Last edited by geraldine2; Jul 23rd 2009 at 12:43 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:49 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabe in oz
what does he do for a living? that sort of money i'd retrain aswell
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by geraldine2
Dear all

Iam presently in australia working on pr visa with my family.(one wife and two school going girls)

Presently iam receiving some payment from centrelink for my kids.

What dolls or payment i received if i loose my job after three years.

for example my monthly salary is aus dollars 5000.

I will be gratefull if all of you reply.

Many Thanks

Gerald
$204.50 per week, but you also have to pass an Income and assets test, and lodge an application for payment form every two weeks.

You may also need to enter an Employment Pathway Plan and participate in a Work for the Dole project.

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by trainee_pilot
Nothing legally I suppose, but imagine the hoo har it would cause if all new migrants first question was 'what benefits am i entitled to?' rather than, 'where is the nearest job centre so I can try and secure a job so that myself and my family can contribute to australian society before the money I brought over from my country of origin runs out?'

Of course they will ask this question sooner or later. I do not think anybody can live comfortably on Centerlink's assistance, atleast not migrants (I mean skilled migrants here).

And for this they ultimately they have to go out and earn something for sure.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
Of course they will ask this question sooner or later. I do not think anybody can live comfortably on Centerlink's assistance, atleast not migrants (I mean skilled migrants here).

And for this they ultimately they have to go out and earn something for sure.
Studies revealed that migrants' productivity is generally higher in Australia and they bring about positive results for the Oz economy. Some perceive that Asians tend to be the most competitive and efficient at work and they rely the least on social payments. Anecdotal evidences suggest that its the people of Arab origin that generally have a higher tendency to seek or rely on dole money.

Anyways, I think the OP has all the good intentions and will be as hardworking a migrant as anyone. However, given the uncertainty around moving to a new market and finding a job, he also wants to explore the support structure available for downside protection. There's nothing wrong with that, we all do worry on the face of uncertainty.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabe in oz
what does he do for a living? that sort of money i'd retrain aswell
In IT (no idea what!)....however, previous qualifications account for a lot too

BTech, MTech from IIT Kharagpur then studied further (think Monash) in IT.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Has the OP tried the UK, I believe they have a better assortment of benefits available to the newly arrived immigrant.

What kind of mentality does a person have to ask this sort of question. And then people complain about the Aussies that have the "F*** off, we're full' stickers. It just doesn't compute for me. I've never claimed a benefit in my life, lucky enough not to need to, but certainly if I was emigrating (and I have lived in a few countries) I would never even think about benefits. I would be going 100% based on my own ability to work and produce my income.

Last edited by sr71; Jul 24th 2009 at 3:33 am.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Has the OP tried the UK, I believe they have a better assortment of benefits available to the newly arrived immigrant.

What kind of mentality does a person have to ask this sort of question. And then people complain about the Aussies that have the "F*** off, we're full' stickers. It just doesn't compute for me. I've never claimed a benefit in my life, lucky enough not to need to, but certainly if I was emigrating (and I have lived in a few countries) I would never even think about benefits. I would be going 100% based on my own ability to work and produce my income.
So, as an immigrant who has never claimed a benefit I gather you turned down the first homebuyers grant, child benefits from Centrelink, Medicare, etc?
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:11 am
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

geez this site is really getting annoying, what gives people the right to judge others, wages are low over here and without family assistance we would never have survived im glad i asked the question what we were entitled to when we were moving here people have a right to enquire about anything if you are moving to a new country you need to know the rules and if god forbid you lose your jobs like we have you need to know if you will be entitled to any help, so fair play for asking, if you dont like it dont bloody reply to the thread
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by collybabe24
geez this site is really getting annoying, what gives people the right to judge others, wages are low over here and without family assistance we would never have survived im glad i asked the question what we were entitled to when we were moving here people have a right to enquire about anything if you are moving to a new country you need to know the rules and if god forbid you lose your jobs like we have you need to know if you will be entitled to any help, so fair play for asking, if you dont like it dont bloody reply to the thread
Couldn't agree more. Most of us come here with the intention of working hard and paying our own way, but sometimes due to unforseen circumstances things don't work out the way we planned. Thank God for rent assistance and the child benefit during our first year here or we would have been in very deep trouble. (Savings last only so long when the main breadwinner is unemployed)
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trainee_pilot
Nothing legally I suppose, but imagine the hoo har it would cause if all new migrants first question was 'what benefits am i entitled to?'
Plenty of people who post on here do ask 'how do I get the first home owner's grant?' - before they even arrive in Australia & regardless of how 'cashed up' they are. Strangely no one seems to have a problem with that. Sometimes the threads are even started by ardent Daily Mail readers who spend the rest of their time whinging about the UK benefits system (you shall remain nameless - I bit my tongue! ). Ironic don't you think?

The amount of free Australian taxpayers money available to new immigrants who have contributed nothing to the Australian purse (and need never) is equivalent to many years worth of dole payments. Chuck in a baby bonus as well for good measure if you like (half a years worth of dole payments).

Before I get jumped on - I have no problem with new migrants claiming the benefits they are eligble for - only a problem with hypocrites!

Last edited by bcworld; Jul 24th 2009 at 4:38 am.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
So, as an immigrant who has never claimed a benefit I gather you turned down the first homebuyers grant, child benefits from Centrelink, Medicare, etc?
Still renting, not entitled to child benefits and have private medical insurance that I've never used yet anyway.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
$204.50 per week, but you also have to pass an Income and assets test, and lodge an application for payment form every two weeks.

You may also need to enter an Employment Pathway Plan and participate in a Work for the Dole project.
Would you mind telling how you derived at $ 204.50 ( based on 5k pm )

thanks
Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by shafanm
Would you mind telling how you derived at $ 204.50 ( based on 5k pm )

thanks
Because that is the figure that Centrelink quote. Your earnings have no relationship to unemployment benefit.

Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:33 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71

nob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.