Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Supply teaching in Oz.

Supply teaching in Oz.

Old May 24th 2004, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road
Default Supply teaching in Oz.

I have started working last week doing supply teaching in some of the Catholic primary schools in Cairns. I don't get paid until next Friday and was wondering does anyone know how much the rate of pay is?
I know the state schools pay a flat rate per day which is $240 (before tax), but the Catholic schools go on your experience. This is my 4th year in teaching.
Any information appreciated! :lecture:
Old May 24th 2004, 6:08 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supply teaching in Oz.

Originally posted by leejo
I have started working last week doing supply teaching in some of the Catholic primary schools in Cairns. I don't get paid until next Friday and was wondering does anyone know how much the rate of pay is?
I know the state schools pay a flat rate per day which is $240 (before tax), but the Catholic schools go on your experience. This is my 4th year in teaching.
Any information appreciated! :lecture:

Bloody Hell, am obviously in the wrong state! It's only $192 a day here in Melly based on 4yrs training!
Old May 24th 2004, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I don't know what your rate would be but here in SE Queensland it is around $250 a day, so your estimate is about right.

How are you finding it?
Old May 24th 2004, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tinaj
I don't know what your rate would be but here in SE Queensland it is around $250 a day, so your estimate is about right.

How are you finding it?

I am finding it OK so far. The schools are so relaxed and very easy going compared to what I'm used to. The teachers seem really laid back, maybe its the weather!!
Most schools are not very well resourced, I didn't appreciate the amount of resources I had back home.
I have only worked in Catholic schools so far so I don't know if the state school differ. There seems to be a fair amount of supply work available though which is the main thing!
Joanne
Old May 24th 2004, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

bryoak is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you have to take any further training before you started supply or can you go straight into it. We are going to Victoria and my wife is a primary school teacher hoping to get a bit of supply work when we get there.

Is there plenty of work out there for teachers?

Thanks

bryoak
Old May 24th 2004, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bryoak
Did you have to take any further training before you started supply or can you go straight into it. We are going to Victoria and my wife is a primary school teacher hoping to get a bit of supply work when we get there.

Is there plenty of work out there for teachers?

Thanks

bryoak
http://www.teaching.vic.gov.au/careeropp/default.htm

Click on Casual Relief Teachers (often called emergency teaching)

OzTennis
Old May 24th 2004, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

leejo,

What school are you working in? I need to find a nice school for my lad aged 10.

Mandy
Old May 25th 2004, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by scrawni
leejo,

What school are you working in? I need to find a nice school for my lad aged 10.

Mandy

Hi Mandy,
Because I am doing supply teaching, I have worked in a few different Catholic schools. I am still not registered to work in the state schools yet. There are a lot of schools in Cairns and so far the ones I have been in have been of a similar standard. The curriculum is not as prescriptive as the UK and things seem a lot more relaxed in general.
Joanne