Reload this Page >

Supply Teaching / Cover Supervisor in Brisbane

Supply Teaching / Cover Supervisor in Brisbane

Old Jan 20th 2013, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

rjpow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Supply Teaching / Cover Supervisor in Brisbane

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend are looking to go to Brisbane in August to live and work for at least 6 months then potentially move on to Perth unless everything goes very well in Brisbane.

By August I will have completed my GTP training year in Physical education here in the UK. In order to give myself a fighting chance of getting an NQT job on my return from Oz I want to remain in education when I'm there.

I know I won't be able to get a full teaching job when I get there due to a number of reasons. However I have heard that getting a job in supply teaching / cover supervisor or even teaching assistant is more realistic.

I already have quite a lot of experience as a cover supervisor in a school across all subjects so am very confident in teaching a number of subjects, which I have also heard may be beneficial.

What I want to know is what kind of steps do I need to take in order to enable myself to do this when I get there?

I have seen that I should register with Queensland college of teachers then get an employee number?

Also...I saw that I should go onto the Teacher Applicant Centre (TAC) site and register with TRACER (Teacher Relief and Contract Employment Register).

Are those the two things I should sign up to and sort out in order to start the search and enable myself to do cover work over there? Or Is there something else I should do as well as / instead of?

Any suggestions or guidance will be great! Thanks!

rjpow
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

lc77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Supply Teaching / Cover Supervisor in Brisbane

Hi there
First thing you should do is get registered with the QCT. I'd get on to this as soon as you can as I think it can be a bit of a process. Check out the QCT website if you haven't done so already. I was registered in NZ so it was easy as there is a reciprocal agreement but I think there's more to it if you're coming from another country.
https://www.qct.edu.au/registration/index.html

Then you need to apply to Education Queensland - this is where you get your employee number which you need to do supply teaching in state schools. Application form is here http://education.qld.gov.au/hr/recru...ms-guides.html
Don't panic about all the stuff to do with professional portfolio and interview - you don't need to do that if you're just looking for supply teaching.

Tracer is the Ed QLD agency which deals with supply teaching - however, I found that there weren't that many high schools in my area that used Tracer. No harm in registering with them though. http://education.qld.gov.au/hr/recru...oin/index.html

Once you've done all of that and you're in the country, you need to get in touch with schools in your area and let them know that you're available for supply teaching. Contact all the schools that are in easy travelling distance and drop off your CV to them. If you can meet the person who deals with supply teachers, that's helpful but sometimes it can be hard getting past the front office! Bear in mind that there a lot of private schools in Brisbane who are nothing to do with Ed QLd - you don't need the employee number for them but you will need QCT registration.

It's also worth remembering that from about mid-November a lot of supply teaching dries up as the Year 12 students leave and schools tend to use their own teachers who have been freed up.

Hope that info is useful. I found it a bit of a mission when I first got here but it would have been easier if I'd know all of this in advance!

Good luck!
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rjpow
Hi,

Me and my girlfriend are looking to go to Brisbane in August to live and work for at least 6 months then potentially move on to Perth unless everything goes very well in Brisbane.

By August I will have completed my GTP training year in Physical education here in the UK. In order to give myself a fighting chance of getting an NQT job on my return from Oz I want to remain in education when I'm there.

I know I won't be able to get a full teaching job when I get there due to a number of reasons. However I have heard that getting a job in supply teaching / cover supervisor or even teaching assistant is more realistic.

I already have quite a lot of experience as a cover supervisor in a school across all subjects so am very confident in teaching a number of subjects, which I have also heard may be beneficial.

What I want to know is what kind of steps do I need to take in order to enable myself to do this when I get there?

I have seen that I should register with Queensland college of teachers then get an employee number?

Also...I saw that I should go onto the Teacher Applicant Centre (TAC) site and register with TRACER (Teacher Relief and Contract Employment Register).

Are those the two things I should sign up to and sort out in order to start the search and enable myself to do cover work over there? Or Is there something else I should do as well as / instead of?

Any suggestions or guidance will be great! Thanks!

rjpow
What visa are you planning on coming on?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You may well find that you aren't qualified to teach at all as the GTP isn't recognised as a fourth year and teachers in all states have to have 4yrs of training. PGCE is accepted, GTP is not. You might find a Teacher aide position but they are very poorly paid and in high demand often from mums who want school hour jobs while their kids are small and often the way in to such positions is by prior volunteering in schools - which isn't ideal for you on a WHV.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

What Quoll said!
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lc77
Hi there
First thing you should do is get registered with the QCT. I'd get on to this as soon as you can as I think it can be a bit of a process. Check out the QCT website if you haven't done so already. I was registered in NZ so it was easy as there is a reciprocal agreement but I think there's more to it if you're coming from another country.

Then you need to apply to Education Queensland - this is where you get your employee number which you need to do supply teaching in state schools. Application form is here http://education.qld.gov.au/hr/recru...ms-guides.html
Don't panic about all the stuff to do with professional portfolio and interview - you don't need to do that if you're just looking for supply teaching.

Tracer is the Ed QLD agency which deals with supply teaching - however, I found that there weren't that many high schools in my area that used Tracer. No harm in registering with them though. http://education.qld.gov.au/hr/recru...oin/index.html

Once you've done all of that and you're in the country, you need to get in touch with schools in your area and let them know that you're available for supply teaching. Contact all the schools that are in easy travelling distance and drop off your CV to them. If you can meet the person who deals with supply teachers, that's helpful but sometimes it can be hard getting past the front office! Bear in mind that there a lot of private schools in Brisbane who are nothing to do with Ed QLd - you don't need the employee number for them but you will need QCT registration.

It's also worth remembering that from about mid-November a lot of supply teaching dries up as the Year 12 students leave and schools tend to use their own teachers who have been freed up.

Hope that info is useful. I found it a bit of a mission when I first got here but it would have been easier if I'd know all of this in advance!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Everything regarding where and who to register with is exactly what I was looking to find out and get sorted before we head out.

I do have a few contacts over there so I will get a list of local schools and will hopefully speak to some people already in Brisbane schools about finding a way in!

I have seen that they don't really acknowledge the GTP over there (unless you have a few years experience under your belt). But from what I have heard, to do cover/supply work over there it doesn't matter, as (like here) it is an unqualified teaching position.

Please correct me if I am wrong?

rjpow
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What visa are you planning on coming on?
We're looking to go on a Working Holiday Visa (WHV).

My girlfriend works in travel so she is sorting that side of things!! My brother was living and working there a year ago and that's what he went over on too.

Is there any kind of alternative to this?

rjpow
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lc77
Hi there

Good luck!

Everything regarding where and who to register with is exactly what I was looking to find out and get sorted before we head out.

I do have a few contacts over there so I will get a list of local schools and will hopefully speak to some people already in Brisbane schools about finding a way in!

I have seen that they don't really acknowledge the GTP over there (unless you have a few years experience under your belt). But from what I have heard, to do cover/supply work over there it doesn't matter, as (like here) it is an unqualified teaching position.

Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

rjpow
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you are wrong, sorry. In order to be a teacher in Australia you have to be registered and that includes the 4 year training for which GTP is not accepted no matter how many years experience you have under your belt. In order to do CRT (supply) you have to be registered as a teacher - ie 4 year trained.

AFAIK paraprofessionals like "cover supervisors" haven't yet hit Australis's schools partly because of the strong unions who have fought against them, the "duty of care" legislation and the fact that teachers in Australia are 10 a penny so there are always enough to pick up the CRT roles if, indeed, the schools decide they want to employ cover at all.

The only untrained cohort are STA(Special Teacher Assistant) roles and even they one often require a cert iii but usually those positions (very lowly paid) are, as I said, in high demand usually from mums who want to do school hours work while their kids are small and who have often scored a role because they have volunteered at the school and got their face known. Basic requirements for that are a clean police record and a first aid certificate (and a working with children card, the colour of which varies from state to state).

You might get something in Youth work but for YW case management they would usually prefer a bit more than the max 6 months you can give them