Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Superbug - surgical masks for travel?

Superbug - surgical masks for travel?

Old Mar 17th 2003, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Superbug - surgical masks for travel?

News of a influenza type 'Superbug' killer, has hit parts of Asia.

As we're passing through Singapore on our way over to Australia, we're considering wearing surgical masks - no, seriously! and spraying ourselves with Tea Tree oil. anyone else considered this?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...613911,00.html
Old Mar 17th 2003, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Superbug - surgical masks for travel?

Printed out version, in case the Times clear the link.

Mystery bug patient admitted to British hospital
By AP in BEIJING

A patient suspected of having the mystery pneumonia bug has been admitted to a British hospital, the Chief Medical Officer for England said today.

Nine people have now died from the pneumonia strain which experts say cannot be stopped by standard drugs and has already reached three continents due to air travel.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) had labelled the illness a "world health threat" in a rare emergency travel advisory.

Today the Chief Medical Officer for England, Professor Sir Liam Donaldson, said a suspected case had come into the UK.

"We are watching this outbreak extremely closely," he told the BBC. "But the latest development is this morning a patient has been admitted to hospital who came in on a plane yesterday from Hong Kong.

"At the moment we are not sure whether the case is linked but we are treating it as a possible link to the outbreak in the Far East."

The first cases of the acute respiratory illness were reported in south China and Vietnam but outbreaks have since been reported across south east Asia and even in Canada.

A Department of Health spokeswoman said: "Travellers returning to the UK from any of these areas since February 23 with sudden onset of high fever and one other symptom of pneumonia including cough, sore throat or shortness of breath or muscle aches should seek medical advice."

Earlier today a Chinese Health Ministry report released by the WHO said that patients with the bug in China "are being cured one by one." But it gave no further details.

Hank Bekedam, another WHO representative in Beijing, said that the number of cases reported by the Chinese Government had not changed since mid-February when 305 were reported ill.

Nine deaths from atypical pneumonia have been reported in China, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Canada. The WHO is treating the cases as one emergency, although it is not clear if they are related. The first cases were reported in southern China late last year.

Mr Bekedam said: "At the moment, there is no proof of a clear linkage."

The WHO said on Saturday that 150 new suspected cases had been reported over the past week. It said that they occurred in Indonesia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
Old Mar 17th 2003, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Shikse
News of a influenza type 'Superbug' killer, has hit parts of Asia.

As we're passing through Singapore on our way over to Australia, we're considering wearing surgical masks - no, seriously! and spraying ourselves with Tea Tree oil. anyone else considered this?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...613911,00.html
I must admit it has been worrying me as we're flying out to Aus on 30 March and stopping over in Hong Kong for 2 nights and then 2 nights in Singapore on the way home. Somebody at work who always picks up illnesses on planes said to put vaseline round your nostrils!! Stops the bugs getting in?! Works for her apparently. Seriously I'm just going to keep an eye on the Foreign Office advice and keep my fingers crossed they'll have it under control in the next 2 weeks. I'm also going to take lots of Echinacea!

Nicola
Old Mar 17th 2003, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

kizkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Protect your precious bodily fluids.

I reccommend zinc, and C. Lots of both. Never heard of the vaseline idea..maybe it works? Could also bring antibacterial handwipes to breathe through like they were scented hankies.
And drink lots of alcohol to kill the germs.:lecture:
Old Mar 17th 2003, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nicstids
I must admit it has been worrying me as we're flying out to Aus on 30 March and stopping over in Hong Kong for 2 nights and then 2 nights in Singapore on the way home. Somebody at work who always picks up illnesses on planes said to put vaseline round your nostrils!! Stops the bugs getting in?! Works for her apparently. Seriously I'm just going to keep an eye on the Foreign Office advice and keep my fingers crossed they'll have it under control in the next 2 weeks. I'm also going to take lots of Echinacea!

Nicola

yeah, isn't this all a bit scary nicola! we go in april and stop over in singapore i just spent half an hour reading up about it on the net - not a cheery thought especially as we are travelling with the kids!! let's hope, as you say that they get to the bottom of it very soon.

will keep an eye on this for any more tips or news updates.
Old Mar 17th 2003, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by jajpe
yeah, isn't this all a bit scary nicola! we go in april and stop over in singapore i just spent half an hour reading up about it on the net - not a cheery thought especially as we are travelling with the kids!! let's hope, as you say that they get to the bottom of it very soon.

will keep an eye on this for any more tips or news updates.
Know what you mean. Even if I got some surgical masks I can't see my 7 year old keeping his on for more than 2 minutes!!

Nicola
Old Mar 18th 2003, 8:40 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by sully4441
Have a go on the lottery before you go, I wager you will have more chance of winning the jackpot than of catching the bug. Blimey, you'll be saying there are poisonous spiders in Australia that can kill a man next!
Actually I'm more worried about the fact that Mark has a stinking cold at the moment. If he gives it to me and Tom (our son) then, from what I can gather, they'll turn us away at check-in just in case we have the dreaded bug!! We've had this holiday booked for a year now and I will be well pissed off if we can't go!!
Old Mar 18th 2003, 11:24 am
Vaidated member

JayneTee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nicstids
Actually I'm more worried about the fact that Mark has a stinking cold at the moment. If he gives it to me and Tom (our son) then, from what I can gather, they'll turn us away at check-in just in case we have the dreaded bug!! We've had this holiday booked for a year now and I will be well pissed off if we can't go!!
I always swear by Contac 400 capsules which will dry up your cold and will get you past check-in staff who might think you've got the 'bug !!!!!

Jayne & Efty
Old Mar 18th 2003, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleW is an unknown quantity at this point

Surgical masks are no good - you need tb masks as they protect you from your surroundings unlike the surgical mask which protects people around you from your bugs!
Old Mar 18th 2003, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Why not go one stage further and help protect against chemical warfare as well. Found gas masks for sale on line for £99.99 each!

Loopy
Old Mar 18th 2003, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by Loopy
Why not go one stage further and help protect against chemical warfare as well. Found gas masks for sale on line for £99.99 each!

Loopy
Seriously I'm thinking that if things don't improve by this time next week I'll speak to Travelmood to see if they can route us a different way. Anybody ever done that? Does it cost a lot?
Old Mar 18th 2003, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

guyguy2003 is on a distinguished road
Default |:O

I get a gaz mask for free from the military in Israel.. maybe i should use it? i actually caught a flu from a friend i shagged.. :O i hope its not that!!!