Reload this Page >

Superannuation transfer from Oz to UK

Superannuation transfer from Oz to UK

Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:34 am
Just Joined

ClareandAlan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Superannuation transfer from Oz to UK

Hi
I'm trying to find out the tax implications regarding my Australian superannuation fund.

I would like to return to the UK early next year. I have been in Oz for 4 year's now and I transferred my UK pension here within 6 month's of moving here. I understand I can't transfer it back as I'm an Australian citizen.

I have been told that I cannot freeze my superannuation in Oz without tax implications in the UK. I have also been told that the tax implications will be better, if I stay here for a total of 5 years. I'm totally confused.

Can anyone offer me any advice regarding my options.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Superannuation transfer from Oz to UK

I wouldnt have thought it would have mattered if you just stopped paying into it, gave them a UK resident address and headed off. Why would you be paying UK tax on it? It isnt income. I havent heard of anything magical about being here for 5 years but with the government's desire to get its grubby mitts on our super funds I wouldnt be in the least bit surprised.

My son has a couple of super accounts here - he now lives in UK and who knows if he will be here in time to recoup them in retirement. As far as I know they just linger there.

Get a good financial adviser!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:33 am
Just Joined

ClareandAlan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Superannuation transfer from Oz to UK

Originally Posted by quoll
I wouldnt have thought it would have mattered if you just stopped paying into it, gave them a UK resident address and headed off. Why would you be paying UK tax on it? It isnt income. I havent heard of anything magical about being here for 5 years but with the government's desire to get its grubby mitts on our super funds I wouldnt be in the least bit surprised.

My son has a couple of super accounts here - he now lives in UK and who knows if he will be here in time to recoup them in retirement. As far as I know they just linger there.

Get a good financial adviser!
Hi

Thanks for your message, I think I need to seek financial advice!!!