Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Superannuation and Tax

Superannuation and Tax

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice
Default Superannuation and Tax

Hi,
I am trying to estimate tax on my husband's proposed salary (he got offered a job in Australia) and I note that the employer has included the 9% Employer superannuation contribution as part of the salary package. Will the superannuation portion be treated as a taxable benefit in the hands of my husband or do I exclude this amount to calculate tax. The reason I ask is that I noted from reading another site that the employer gets a tax deduction for superannuation contributions so some poor person has to pay the tax?

Any feedback appreciated
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:39 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Superannuation and Tax

Originally Posted by honeybee
Hi,
I am trying to estimate tax on my husband's proposed salary (he got offered a job in Australia) and I note that the employer has included the 9% Employer superannuation contribution as part of the salary package. Will the superannuation portion be treated as a taxable benefit in the hands of my husband or do I exclude this amount to calculate tax. The reason I ask is that I noted from reading another site that the employer gets a tax deduction for superannuation contributions so some poor person has to pay the tax?

Any feedback appreciated
You don't include the super contribution for your personal tax.

The super contribution is taxed at 15% and is paid by the super fund out of the contribution.