Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Superannuation Fees in Oz

Superannuation Fees in Oz

Old May 1st 2007, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

electricbaby27 will become famous soon enoughelectricbaby27 will become famous soon enough
Default Superannuation Fees in Oz

Hi
We have been in Oz for 4 months now and we are loving it so far.

We met with a finacial consultant prior to arriving and they recommended that we transfer our pensions to Oz and started the process off.

They refered us to a financial planner here who has planned a suppernnuation scheme for us. Looking at the fees we were shocked to see the upfront fee was 1.94% and then a yearly maintanance fee of around 0.62% for both of us Is this normal?

We both have a good pension to move over, I have worked in the NHS for 20 odd years and my Oh has a similiar size pension- which amounts up to a good % being taken away in fees.
Please could anyone help, its causing me sleep less nights We really don't know what to do next.

Caz
Old May 1st 2007, 2:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Superannuation Fees in Oz

Originally Posted by electricbaby27
Hi

We met with a finacial consultant prior to arriving and they recommended that we transfer our pensions to Oz and started the process off.

They refered us to a financial planner here who has planned a suppernnuation scheme for us. Looking at the fees we were shocked to see the upfront fee was 1.94% and then a yearly maintanance fee of around 0.62% for both of us Is this normal?

We both have a good pension to move over, I have worked in the NHS for 20 odd years and my Oh has a similiar size pension- which amounts up to a good % being taken away in fees.
Please could anyone help, its causing me sleep less nights We really don't know what to do next.

Caz
Many super schemes do charge fees - some of them are pretty outrageous. Shop around for the best deal for you. I took a handful of the most recommended schemes and put together a cost comparison spreadsheet which calculated the fees over a 5 year period.

In the end I chose Virgin Super, as they are fund managed by Macquarie bank, and they only charge a 1% fee. According to my spreadsheet, assuming zero growth, just standard contributions, they will remain the most efficient fee option for four years, then I need to rethink, and move on elsewhere.

S
Old May 1st 2007, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

electricbaby27 will become famous soon enoughelectricbaby27 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your reply S -Looks like we'll be doing some homework tonight!

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Many super schemes do charge fees - some of them are pretty outrageous. Shop around for the best deal for you. I took a handful of the most recommended schemes and put together a cost comparison spreadsheet which calculated the fees over a 5 year period.

In the end I chose Virgin Super, as they are fund managed by Macquarie bank, and they only charge a 1% fee. According to my spreadsheet, assuming zero growth, just standard contributions, they will remain the most efficient fee option for four years, then I need to rethink, and move on elsewhere.

S
Old May 1st 2007, 3:20 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply S -Looks like we'll be doing some homework tonight!
If you PM me your Email address, I can send you my super calculator...

S
Old May 1st 2007, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Caz
Are these the fees of the Planner or the Super Fund or both combined? I pay my Planner 1% of the value of each contribution and I have seen it as high as 5% for some clients.(I used to work there
It depends on what you are able to negotiate. I pay 0.5% of the value of the Fund as an annual fee to the Planner. Quite often it's 0.75%.

The Super Fund's fees are on top of this. (I'm with Asgard)

What you have to remember with the planner is that you are paying for their expertise. They will review your Super performance annually and advise whether you should be selling down any investments within your Super and investing elsewhere. I am happy to pay for that expertise on the basis of the returns I have seen them get
Old May 1st 2007, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Are these the fees of the Planner or the Super Fund or both combined? I pay my Planner 1% of the value of each contribution and I have seen it as high as 5% for some clients.(I used to work there
It depends on what you are able to negotiate. I pay 0.5% of the value of the Fund as an annual fee to the Planner. Quite often it's 0.75%.

The Super Fund's fees are on top of this. (I'm with Asgard)

What you have to remember with the planner is that you are paying for their expertise. They will review your Super performance annually and advise whether you should be selling down any investments within your Super and investing elsewhere. I am happy to pay for that expertise on the basis of the returns I have seen them get

Thanks for pointing that out.
It looks like an admin fee of 1.03% for investment managers, 0.96% for management expense Ratio and 0.62% for the financial planner that is setting it all up.
Old May 1st 2007, 4:37 am
Account Closed

Thanks for pointing that out.
It looks like an admin fee of 1.03% for investment managers, 0.96% for management expense Ratio and 0.62% for the financial planner that is setting it all up.
Sounds about right to me

What super fund are they recommending?
Old May 1st 2007, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Sounds about right to me

What super fund are they recommending?

Does that sound right to you? There must be scottish blood in me, I dont like to spend if I dont have to and hate the fear of being ripped Off.

They are recommending The Navigator Personal retirement Plan,.

Caz
Old May 1st 2007, 5:08 am
Account Closed

Does that sound right to you? There must be scottish blood in me, I dont like to spend if I dont have to and hate the fear of being ripped Off.

They are recommending The Navigator Personal retirement Plan,.

Caz
I don't think you are being ripped off. From memory, Navigator are an Aviva company (i.e. Norwich Union) so a reputable company.

Remember that there is nothing stopping you transferring over to another Super fund in due course if you are unhappy with its performance. (Do check whether there will be any exit fees though.)

Have a look at this website
http://www.chantwest.com.au/cwPublic...MenuItemID=124

You'll see they give the Navigator one a 4 apple rating (highest being 5)
http://www.chantwest.com.au/cwPublic...MenuItemID=453

Hope that helps
Old May 1st 2007, 7:28 am
Just Joined

chrisinperth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Caz
Will you and or your partner still be working in healthcare?
If so you should consider transferring to whichever Industry super fund your Hospital or group is associated with. Industry funds have low fees and do not tend to charge for transferring in or out. I am in healthcare and my super fund is HESTA,"www.hesta.com.au". There are several large indistry funds not just HESTA have a look around. My returns so far have been good and a good choice of asset classes. You should at least look into this before you pay the FA for the transfer.
Best wishes
Chris
Old May 1st 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Caz
Keep well away from financial planners and commission based sales advice.

As the OP said the industry funds are the best,HESTA is one of them.The top performing funds are always the industry ones .Motor traders is the best one .As they pay no commission a financial planner is never going to recommend them to you,nothing in it for him/her.

There are no %age costs or trailing costs,the only cost should be the $1-$1.50 a week for management fees.
Check out selecting super.com.au or put ASFA into google (australian super funds assoc,if my memory is correct.)

There will probably be zero entry fees to transfer to an industry fund.
Old May 1st 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
Keep well away from financial planners and commission based sales advice.

As the OP said the industry funds are the best,HESTA is one of them.The top performing funds are always the industry ones .Motor traders is the best one .As they pay no commission a financial planner is never going to recommend them to you,nothing in it for him/her.

There are no %age costs or trailing costs,the only cost should be the $1-$1.50 a week for management fees.
Check out selecting super.com.au or put ASFA into google (australian super funds assoc,if my memory is correct.)

There will probably be zero entry fees to transfer to an industry fund.
Forgot,if you are not familiar with the financial jargon you will be in the default selection of an industry fund.This is the diversification they like to preach,OZ shares, US and world shares ,fixed interest and cash.

The info on selecting super is rainmaker,they will give you the 1,3 and 5 yr return of each fund,go into default section.Hesta should be in the top 10,it is a decent fund.The Hesta web site should give you the costs and if it is a good one a breakdown of where they have put your money,EG OZ shares 40%,world and US 30%,fixed interest 20% etc.If it is a really good one they will give you a breakdown on shares you will hold too.Your oz shares will be heavily tilted towards the banks as they make up around 26% of the index.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

Remember that there is nothing stopping you transferring over to another Super fund in due course if you are unhappy with its performance. (Do check whether there will be any exit fees though.)
Forget what I said here

If you're transferring a UK Pension, the Aussie fund will have to be a QROPS fund and you won't be able to transfer out again.

You will also need to check whether any industry funds such as HESTA are QROPS approved.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:56 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Forget what I said here

If you're transferring a UK Pension, the Aussie fund will have to be a QROPS fund and you won't be able to transfer out again.

You will also need to check whether any industry funds such as HESTA are QROPS approved.
qrops list is here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensionschemes/qrops.pdf
Old May 1st 2007, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by datamile

Doen't look like many, if any, industry funds on there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.