Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine's not so bad after all ...

Sunshine's not so bad after all ...

Old May 28th 2006, 10:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sunshine's not so bad after all ...

Very interesting article in The Observer titled Sunshine is good for you (again). It's not suggesting we all spend every waking moment soaking up the sunshine and getting red and burnt, but that as human beings our bodys need a certain amount to survive and be healthy. Some snippets:
Experts are saying the Draconian anti-sun message needs to be altered. The shift comes after new evidence that suggests too little sunshine leaves us deficient in a vital nutrient, vitamin D.
Some 60 per cent of people in the UK have insufficient amounts of the nutrient in their blood, so they are almost certainly at a higher than average risk of developing cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis and a number of other diseases.'
In Britain, for six months of the year the sun is too weak for skin to synthesise vitamin D. A lifestyle spent in offices and cars exacerbates the problem, as does air pollution, which means less of the sun's UV radiation reaches the ground.
Old May 28th 2006, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunshine's not so bad after all ...

Originally Posted by Hutch
Very interesting article in The Observer titled Sunshine is good for you (again). It's not suggesting we all spend every waking moment soaking up the sunshine and getting red and burnt, but that as human beings our bodys need a certain amount to survive and be healthy. Some snippets:
Experts are saying the Draconian anti-sun message needs to be altered. The shift comes after new evidence that suggests too little sunshine leaves us deficient in a vital nutrient, vitamin D.
Some 60 per cent of people in the UK have insufficient amounts of the nutrient in their blood, so they are almost certainly at a higher than average risk of developing cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis and a number of other diseases.'
In Britain, for six months of the year the sun is too weak for skin to synthesise vitamin D. A lifestyle spent in offices and cars exacerbates the problem, as does air pollution, which means less of the sun's UV radiation reaches the ground.
Have to admit I have never been a sun junkie. I wear a hat outside when mowing and avoid the beach. Seeing as I have always used cream, and have not copped a whole lifetime of sun, if I can now catch a few rays and Vitamin D, enough to outweigh the skin cancer risk - there's bound to be some balance somewhere- I'll be happy. We'll see.

It's funny the way sick people used to be sent to the South of France for recuperation - got to be a benefit in the sun somewhere. It does sustain life on earth at the end of the day.

Just got to avoid sun baking.
Old May 28th 2006, 11:07 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly feel better for 2 months of sun Hutch, pity it's pissing it down here in the city this morning. Off to New Norcia today....................hope it clears up
Old May 28th 2006, 11:24 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia has quite a high rate of diabetes and also cancer so Australia as a whole may not have read the article... .
Old May 29th 2006, 12:49 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

I can't understand why they are calling this "new" evidence. I learned about this in my "Food & Nutrition" O' Level a long long time ago. People who live in aged care facilities are particularly vulnerable because they don't go out into the sunshine enough.

Jane
Old May 29th 2006, 12:53 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

The thread title made me think this thread was about the Melbourne suburb :scared:
Old May 29th 2006, 1:11 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

This is very true. British people should supplement their diet with Vit D... You can get it in health food shops. Lack of Vit D causes all sorts of basic nasties that you want to avoid.

Those in Australia, 10 minutes of sun without sunscreen per day... so eat breakfast outside before you put your make-up on ...especially you blokes.
Old May 29th 2006, 8:37 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is a type of winter depression that affects an estimated half a million people every Winter between September and April, in particular during December, January and February.

It is caused by a biochemical imbalance in the hypothalamus due to the shortening of daylight hours and the lack of sunlight in winter.

For many people SAD is a seriously disabling illness, preventing them from functioning normally without continuous medical treatment.

For others, it is a mild but debilitating condition causing discomfort but not severe suffering. We call this subsyndromal SAD or 'winter blues.'

http://www.sada.org.uk/whatis.htm
Old May 29th 2006, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
The thread title made me think this thread was about the Melbourne suburb :scared:
My thoughts exactly! I was wondering what had redeemed the rather strange suburb...
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 10:42 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We had SAD in UK that's why we came to Aus... .
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Sunshine's not so bad after all ...

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is a type of winter depression that affects an estimated half a million people every Winter between September and April, in particular during December, January and February.

It is caused by a biochemical imbalance in the hypothalamus due to the shortening of daylight hours and the lack of sunlight in winter.

For many people SAD is a seriously disabling illness, preventing them from functioning normally without continuous medical treatment.

For others, it is a mild but debilitating condition causing discomfort but not severe suffering. We call this subsyndromal SAD or 'winter blues.'

http://www.sada.org.uk/whatis.htm
I have been looking at this site too. My husband suffers from it severely and I am dreading next winter if we haven't sold our house and got the hell out of here. My birthday is at the end of January which is his absolute worst time and my 40th birthday was a total disaster. He was absolutely horrible and brought up all sorts of stupid issues that are long gone in the past and despite the slight change in the weather here it is still going on. This is not the right place to air my personal problems but I agree 100% that SAD is a serious condition and I am convinced that this form of depression he suffers from has not helped our marriage, but I don't even know if a move to Oz where there's more sunlight will now solve his problems. (I was going to buy him a lightbox for his birthday but I don't think I'll bother now).
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 11:35 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
I have been looking at this site too. My husband suffers from it severely and I am dreading next winter if we haven't sold our house and got the hell out of here. My birthday is at the end of January which is his absolute worst time and my 40th birthday was a total disaster. He was absolutely horrible and brought up all sorts of stupid issues that are long gone in the past and despite the slight change in the weather here it is still going on. This is not the right place to air my personal problems but I agree 100% that SAD is a serious condition and I am convinced that this form of depression he suffers from has not helped our marriage, but I don't even know if a move to Oz where there's more sunlight will now solve his problems. (I was going to buy him a lightbox for his birthday but I don't think I'll bother now).
Well to be honest one of the major reasons we're here is because the Nic part of Paul&Nic is a SAD sufferer and HATED the Winters in the UK.

It's very early days for us over here as only been here 10 weeks or so, but we are now into the Winter in Oz and to be honest she's NEVER been happier! ...

EVERY day she'll say about how lovely the weather is. Don't get me wrong, it DOES get a bit chilly in the evenings, but it's how the days are glorious sunshine (pretty much all of the time) that I'm sure is making all of the difference!

I was a London cabbie in the UK and I would often talk to Aussies in the cab. You know out of all that I talked to about SAD, I think it was just one person who had heard of it!

I wonder why! ...
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 11:52 am
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the info Hutch ,now I have a real excuse to get my ass outside and revise .