Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine or Gold Coast ?????

Sunshine or Gold Coast ?????

Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunshine or Gold Coast ?????

Originally Posted by Grayling
Chermside is not Central Brisbane and is not Albion either where the OP will be working.

I also suspect you would be hard pushed to make Chermside in an hour in heavy traffic. Gympie road can get pretty clogged.....I have sat still on it a few times
We used to commute down Gympie Road, far end of Aspley to Kedron in the rush hour. That could take 30-40 minutes some days, just that bit, with Chermside about halfway. Get a good day, 10minutes, but a bad day.....:curse:
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

Firstly congratulations and good luck with the move,

I have not lived on the SC, but I live on the GC with my young family. (6 & 2)

We live in Broadbeach and its not as bad as people would think, yes we get tourists, but they are what keep most of the people that are lucky to call the GC home in a job.
The beaches are great, we live one block from the beach and the kids love it, we live within walking distance to my sons school, which is a nice walk along the beach also and the school even has a surf programme for the older kids.

The hinterland is about 20 minute drive and is beautiful. We lived in Cairns before moving to the GC so we go to the hinterland for our rainforest fix.

It all depends on what lifestyle you want, here is great for a young family as there is the theme parks on the North end and then the fantastic beaches all the way down to tweed, there is something going on every weekend,

Good luck with your decision.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:04 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Consider Redcliffe as a compromise...beaches not as nice (bay beaches) but closer to Brisbane.
I like Redcliffe, I'd live there if I wasn't here

Bit more expensive than Boganville I'd imagine ...

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We used to commute down Gympie Road, far end of Aspley to Kedron in the rush hour. That could take 30-40 minutes some days, just that bit, with Chermside about halfway. Get a good day, 10minutes, but a bad day.....:curse:
I see they are extending the busway, no idea if this is a viable option in the future. I know it's going up past Marchant Park and endangering my main focus north-side ... a cricket pitch

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/N...ken-Ridge.aspx
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Craig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to all

I have lived both Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and Gold Coast. Sunshine Coast is hands down one of the most beautiful places you could live.

Travel to Brisbane is certainly quicker from Gold Coast as the M1 makes the trip very quick. - traffic from Sunshine Coast in morning is a nightmare.

As someone else has suggested, Redcliffe is probably somewhere you should consider - almost the best of both worlds and cheaper than both Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Robbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really nice

How long would it take to drive from say paciffic pines into brissy say where the mayer hopsital is ? anyone know that would be great and cleveland too
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Craig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Robbie37Michelle32
How long would it take to drive from say paciffic pines into brissy say where the mayer hopsital is ? anyone know that would be great and cleveland too
takes 25 minutes to from Pac Pines to Springwood, Springwood being where the traffic starts to get heavy generally. If its not peak hour then Springwood to the Mater would be about 15 minutes. If its peak hour then probably double that.

So looking at 40 minutes to 1 hour depending on time of day.

Cleveland i would think about 30 minutes
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:17 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig Vaughan
I have lived both Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and Gold Coast. Sunshine Coast is hands down one of the most beautiful places you could live.

Travel to Brisbane is certainly quicker from Gold Coast as the M1 makes the trip very quick. - traffic from Sunshine Coast in morning is a nightmare.

As someone else has suggested, Redcliffe is probably somewhere you should consider - almost the best of both worlds and cheaper than both Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast.
First time I've seen M1 and quick used in a commuting scenario ... it's all relative I guess.

My next job won't be in the CBD, I'm over commuting for 3+ hours a day.

There is a Red Rooster close by I'm sure ...
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DeadVim
First time I've seen M1 and quick used in a commuting scenario ... it's all relative I guess.

My next job won't be in the CBD, I'm over commuting for 3+ hours a day.

There is a Red Rooster close by I'm sure ...
Good point! I guess im saying M1 commute lots quicker than negotiating the Bruce Highway of a morning. Dont know how people do that every day.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:33 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Craig Vaughan
Good point! I guess im saying M1 commute lots quicker than negotiating the Bruce Highway of a morning. Dont know how people do that every day.
I shall take your word for it, I've only ever gone North ... I like this area but the prospect of the grind home watching people who can't merge try to is not an appealing one.

I could drive to the trains I guess but that doesn't fit in well with the school run routine we have.

In the end I'll take less dosh and a saner working day.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Sunshine Coast is way better if you can afford to live there (home and job).