Reload this Page >

SUNSHINE or GOLD COAST?????

SUNSHINE or GOLD COAST?????

Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:36 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SUNSHINE or GOLD COAST?????

Originally Posted by themerlin
I'm not so sure about that anymore, my wife just finished her Nursing degree and most people on her course didn't get jobs. There was hundreds of people going for about 30 jobs.
They where going for graduate positions so might be different if you have experience.

I think the gov has no clue whats going on in the real world when it makes it occupation in demand lists.
and there was me thinking that nurses and doctors WOULD find it easy!

Ok, maybe experienced like you say, but still ...
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:19 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You're not far wrong

In all honesty MrsE, my opinion counts for nothing. The southern end is perfect for us but it all comes down to work, school, aspirations, needs, what you're leaving behind etc etc.

The coast as a whole is a child friendly city but I wouldn't dream of bringing children up in places like Surfers, Broadbeach etc. What works for one is totally unsuitable for another. Stacks on here love the likes of Robina, Varsity, Pac Pines etc but they are our idea of hell.

When you get here stay flexible, don't assume that because someone on here eulogises about one suburb that that's going to be the one for you. We were fairly sure we were going to settle around Helensvale, got here and ended up as far away as is possible whilst staying on the coast Get a rental fairly central and spend a good couple of weeks searching the coast. Don't worry about getting kids in school, a month or so off won't hurt and you all want and need to be happy with any decision.

If you decide that you are going to have to commute to Brissie then imo that rules out the bottom two thirds of the coast but if the work is going to be on the coast then you have greater options. Once you find the suburb, then look at schools. People put too much pressure on themselves finding the 'right' school and then possibly finding that either they can't afford that suburb or that they hate that suburb but are stuck because of the school.

Imo the primary schools here are excellent but that's not to say that your children will fit in anywhere so someone saying XXX is the best school and you can't beat it is irrelevant to your children, it may not be for them.

Basically it's all common sense but in the planning of this massive move, common sense can fly out of the window because you're so desperate to get things sorted. Get here, take a deep breath and you'll find the right place for you and yours.
superb post Pen
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:08 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy©
superb post Pen
Don't worry, it's only a small relapse.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:11 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Don't worry, it's only a small relapse.
im sure she will be back to normal soon

did i call pen normal

i need help
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:30 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Pen always touts for the southern end of the coast. she gets a nose bleed if she drives past benowa
LOL!!!!

Can't blame her though the Southern end is the best!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:38 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by shiels
LOL!!!!

Can't blame her though the Southern end is the best!
you took yir time
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You're not far wrong

In all honesty MrsE, my opinion counts for nothing. The southern end is perfect for us but it all comes down to work, school, aspirations, needs, what you're leaving behind etc etc.

The coast as a whole is a child friendly city but I wouldn't dream of bringing children up in places like Surfers, Broadbeach etc. What works for one is totally unsuitable for another. Stacks on here love the likes of Robina, Varsity, Pac Pines etc but they are our idea of hell.

When you get here stay flexible, don't assume that because someone on here eulogises about one suburb that that's going to be the one for you. We were fairly sure we were going to settle around Helensvale, got here and ended up as far away as is possible whilst staying on the coast Get a rental fairly central and spend a good couple of weeks searching the coast. Don't worry about getting kids in school, a month or so off won't hurt and you all want and need to be happy with any decision.

If you decide that you are going to have to commute to Brissie then imo that rules out the bottom two thirds of the coast but if the work is going to be on the coast then you have greater options. Once you find the suburb, then look at schools. People put too much pressure on themselves finding the 'right' school and then possibly finding that either they can't afford that suburb or that they hate that suburb but are stuck because of the school.

Imo the primary schools here are excellent but that's not to say that your children will fit in anywhere so someone saying XXX is the best school and you can't beat it is irrelevant to your children, it may not be for them.

Basically it's all common sense but in the planning of this massive move, common sense can fly out of the window because you're so desperate to get things sorted. Get here, take a deep breath and you'll find the right place for you and yours.

Thanks for the great advice - karma sent your way
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:55 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by MrsE
Thanks for the great advice - karma sent your way
ah SEE, theres yir first mistake, you read it!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

ah SEE, theres yir first mistake, you read it!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 10:23 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about doctors.

There is a shortage in remote aeras so the gov pushes for more staff only problem is everyone want to live in the big cities.

I think if you can work in the bush for a year you can take your pic of location after. Maybe an option if your young enough.

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
and there was me thinking that nurses and doctors WOULD find it easy!
Ok, maybe experienced like you say, but still ...
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:42 am
Just Joined

McCurry Clan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
I'd live in the Hinterland on the Goldie.....giving you the beautiful scenery, rural community feel, easy access to Nerang for Silkwood, hopefully exposure to lots of job opportunities on the ever developing Coast and many Hospitals/Clinics(Gold Coast Hospital,Southport Medical Precinct, Robina, Parklands plus many more)

But if possible it's a good idea to spend a lengthy amount of time in each area...treat it as a holiday when you first arrive and there's really no rush to get kids into school straight away FAAAR more relaxed here (unless you are about to murder them lol!)

Good Luck in your decision making
Hi Tried to private message you but wouldn't work! Hope you dont mind me contacting you but I notice from your profile that you lived in Adelaide before moving to the Gold Coast! We have been in Adelaide since May 2009 and are now looking at moving to the Gold Coast next year. I was hoping for some advice on removals, jobs, areas etc etc. We did come to the Gold Coast in Dec 06 but I am sure things have changed since then. My husband is a brickie and is currently sub contracting for housing companies. Is there much if any new or future housing developments happening around the Gold Coast? Obviously work for hubby is the most important factor before we make the move! We have 2 boys aged 5 & 2 so looking for a nice family friendly area with good schools...any suggestions? If you could PM me that would be great. Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:57 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by McCurry Clan
Hi Tried to private message you but wouldn't work! Hope you dont mind me contacting you but I notice from your profile that you lived in Adelaide before moving to the Gold Coast! We have been in Adelaide since May 2009 and are now looking at moving to the Gold Coast next year. I was hoping for some advice on removals, jobs, areas etc etc. We did come to the Gold Coast in Dec 06 but I am sure things have changed since then. My husband is a brickie and is currently sub contracting for housing companies. Is there much if any new or future housing developments happening around the Gold Coast? Obviously work for hubby is the most important factor before we make the move! We have 2 boys aged 5 & 2 so looking for a nice family friendly area with good schools...any suggestions? If you could PM me that would be great. Thanks
you wont be able to PM till you have something like 3-5 posts
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:22 am
Just Joined

McCurry Clan is an unknown quantity at this point

you wont be able to PM till you have something like 3-5 posts
Thanks have just realised that.....didnt read the small print!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:24 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

you took yir time
I've bin busy!! ...... with lingerie!!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:36 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by McCurry Clan
Thanks have just realised that.....didnt read the small print!
lol
your welcome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.