British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   SUNSHINE or GOLD COAST????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sunshine-gold-coast-685794/)

flowerinrose Sep 17th 2010 2:15 am

SUNSHINE or GOLD COAST?????

PLEASE PLEASE help..:)
We are due to move to QLD next month..BUT we cant decide where to live!!
I am a nurse and my hubby is a plumber, so work wise we will find it quite easy. Our children are 7 and 9 years old, they have attended Steiner education prior to our move, which we love. I know that there is a Steiner school on each Coast which we love equally..(also open to suggestions of any other holistic schools on either Coast).
BUT I love the Gold Coast and my husband prefers the Sunshine Coast..we have done list after list of pros and cons and still cant make up our minds as we have valid points.
Please could you guys who live there help with some day to day things that you love or hate of either Coast!!!

Thank you xxxxxxxxx:D

DeadVim Sep 17th 2010 2:18 am

Re: SUNSHINE or GOLD COAST?????

Originally Posted by flowerinrose (Post 8854358)
PLEASE PLEASE help..:)
We are due to move to QLD next month..BUT we cant decide where to live!!
I am a nurse and my hubby is a plumber, so work wise we will find it quite easy. Our children are 7 and 9 years old, they have attended Steiner education prior to our move, which we love. I know that there is a Steiner school on each Coast which we love equally..(also open to suggestions of any other holistic schools on either Coast).
BUT I love the Gold Coast and my husband prefers the Sunshine Coast..we have done list after list of pros and cons and still cant make up our minds as we have valid points.
Please could you guys who live there help with some day to day things that you love or hate of either Coast!!!

Thank you xxxxxxxxx:D

Based on my limited experience (living on The Gold Coast...ish and having friends up on the Sunshine Coast):

Gold Coast - Livelier, More Job Opportunities

Sunshine Coast - Sleepier but easier to find affordable rural property if that is what you are after. I'd imagine if you can find a nice spot and a job close by it is very pleasant if you don't want constant 'action'.

Maybe? :o

joeyballantyne Sep 21st 2010 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8854360)
Based on my limited experience (living on The Gold Coast...ish and having friends up on the Sunshine Coast):

Gold Coast - Livelier, More Job Opportunities

Sunshine Coast - Sleepier but easier to find affordable rural property if that is what you are after. I'd imagine if you can find a nice spot and a job close by it is very pleasant if you don't want constant 'action'.

Maybe? :o

yep i'm in agreement with dead...

i live on the sunny coast and its beautiful and perfect, but it is also very quiet. i go to the gold coast for breaks and like that it has a bit more life, and some beautiful hinterland areas - although i personally prefer the sunshine coast. i think you really have to make your way to each coast and spend maybe a couple of weeks at each exploring the areas...both have so much to offer but you'll know which is more suited if you can 'try them out' first. the other BIG thing is which area will give you the work you want - checking out hospitals in both areas and plumber or related work too (i'm not so sure you'll walk into a plumbers job on the sunshine coast? - need to check with someone more knowledgeable than me)

anyway hope that helps, any q's about the sunny coast ask away! :)

PaulandNic Sep 21st 2010 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by flowerinrose (Post 8854358)
I am a nurse and my hubby is a plumber, so work wise we will find it quite easy

Big mistake in your thinking there i'm afraid.

You will find it easy, but wouldn't be so sure with the hubby. I've known carpenters who've been out of work here for months!!

Just thought i'd say as finding work here can be hard. A friend on here left the Sunshine Coast because her hubby (plumber) couldn't get any work. They then tried Cairns, and is now in Mount Isa!

Don't ever think finding a job here is easy, as for most it isn't.

Nice weather tho.

Oh and if it's the Silkwood school on the Goldie then I do their phones and can prob vouch for them and say it's a lovely school. As far as I can go, but yeah set on nice grounds and even has snakes under the cabins, can vouch for that too! ... :eek:

Jan4kids Sep 22nd 2010 2:31 am

I'd live in the Hinterland on the Goldie.....giving you the beautiful scenery, rural community feel, easy access to Nerang for Silkwood, hopefully exposure to lots of job opportunities on the ever developing Coast and many Hospitals/Clinics(Gold Coast Hospital,Southport Medical Precinct, Robina, Parklands plus many more)

But if possible it's a good idea to spend a lengthy amount of time in each area...treat it as a holiday when you first arrive and there's really no rush to get kids into school straight away FAAAR more relaxed here (unless you are about to murder them lol!:unsure:)

Good Luck in your decision making :fingerscrossed:

goldcoastlife Oct 2nd 2010 8:26 pm

Hi :)
Sunshine Coast...I've never really fancied it. :thumbdown: Its very sleepy, and while it can be nice to take a break and relax, I find I get bored eaisly. So do the children!

Gold Coast is definatley the place to go. :thumbup: Its got places to relax and places to have fun. If you've got kids you wont have a problem keeping them entertained. :thumbsup:

I live on the GC and absolutley love it. The temperature is perfect, and there is actually alot to do for free ie beaches!
The theme parks are just down the road and everything is within arms reach. The only exciting thing i can think of on the Sunshine Coast is the Crocodille Hunter Zoo. And you've got Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary among other on the GC.

From my POV, there is no argument. GC wins hands down!

Good luck in your move, by the way :fingerscrossed:

MrsE Oct 2nd 2010 8:34 pm

Hi

We went for a reccie earlier this year and tried both the sunshine and Goldcoast. We preferred the Goldcoast :thumbsup: We have 8 and 7 year old girls and they loved it there :D There seemed to be more to do on the Goldcoast - we stayed in Pacific Pines whilst we were there which was about 20 mins from the beach and 35 mins from the rainforest. Although when we come out we are thinking about being halfway between Brisbane and the Goldcoast if hubby gets work in Brissie as we don't want the commute.

Good luck with your decision.

goldcoastlife Oct 2nd 2010 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by MrsE (Post 8891781)
Hi

We went for a reccie earlier this year and tried both the sunshine and Goldcoast. We preferred the Goldcoast :thumbsup: We have 8 and 7 year old girls and they loved it there :D There seemed to be more to do on the Goldcoast - we stayed in Pacific Pines whilst we were there which was about 20 mins from the beach and 35 mins from the rainforest. Although when we come out we are thinking about being halfway between Brisbane and the Goldcoast if hubby gets work in Brissie as we don't want the commute.

Good luck with your decision.

20 minutes from the beach?!!?!?!?!?
I couldnt cope!!! lol
I love the beach we go there so much it would kill us to have to drive 20 mins just to get there.
my advice - buy close to the beach

GoldCoastMag Oct 2nd 2010 9:07 pm

Both places are beautiful. Work wise it may need a little research as its no good living in a beautiful spot if there is no work.

As far as things to do, children will make friends wherever they are and find things to do locally.

The things like theme parks and entertainment may be more plentiful on the Gold Coast but at the same time they are costly.

Given your circumstances I would be guided by the work situation and Brisbane would also be worth looking at as it is within an easy drive of either coast for the day, short breaks and holidays.

MrsE Oct 2nd 2010 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by goldcoastlife (Post 8891786)
20 minutes from the beach?!!?!?!?!?
I couldnt cope!!! lol
I love the beach we go there so much it would kill us to have to drive 20 mins just to get there.
my advice - buy close to the beach

I do know what you mean - I would live right on the beach if I had the choice but unfortunately work will dictate where we live as we don't want hubby having a big commute. Who knows though eh may be lucky and get a job right on the Goldcoast ;) Then we can have a house right on the bachfront :thumbsup:

Are you guys out there already? If not where are you in the process?

Kapri Oct 2nd 2010 9:42 pm

It's been a long time since I've been to either so probably best to disregard my opinion .....but I'll give it anyway :D

I thought the sunshine coast was lovely for a break but I don't think it would suit me to live there as I like a bit more action.
I loved the gold coast...tacky bits and all :D

I have friends that absolutely loved the sunshine coast and wouldn't consider the gold coast ...so basically, it's horses for courses. Good luck :thumbup:

soapy© Oct 3rd 2010 12:10 am

looks like the goldie wins hands down

yir hubby will read the first few posts on this thread and find some reason to discard the rest lol :lol:

you wont really know until you get here. its hard to go by what others think about an area. its like asking about schools in an area, everyone had an opinion. but its down to whether your kids settle

my advice is. get short term digs in either then travel to the other. they are about 2 hours apart.
seems like a long drive, but most people here have done it plenty of times and its just a day out.

before you move out find work first, as paul says. its not as easy as people think.
that will decide where you live to start with.

i like the gold coast
love sydney
the sunny coast is ok for a holiday
but im sure i will end my days in cairns

good luck:thumbsup:

R00ksie Oct 3rd 2010 7:05 am

Originally Posted by PaulandNic (Post 8864933)
Big mistake in your thinking there i'm afraid.

You will find it easy, but wouldn't be so sure with the hubby. I've known carpenters who've been out of work here for months!!

Just thought i'd say as finding work here can be hard. A friend on here left the Sunshine Coast because her hubby (plumber) couldn't get any work. They then tried Cairns, and is now in Mount Isa!

Don't ever think finding a job here is easy, as for most it isn't.

Nice weather tho.

Oh and if it's the Silkwood school on the Goldie then I do their phones and can prob vouch for them and say it's a lovely school. As far as I can go, but yeah set on nice grounds and even has snakes under the cabins, can vouch for that too! ... :eek:

Have to agree with that comment!! Husband has been a plumber for 20+ years, Corgi reg in UK, contract work for Brit Gas and Armed Forces - glowing references. Still found it hard to land work, especially gas. Would say Brisbane would be more fruitful for plumbing work.

soapy© Oct 3rd 2010 7:19 am

Originally Posted by R00ksie (Post 8892400)
Have to agree with that comment!! Husband has been a plumber for 20+ years, Corgi reg in UK, contract work for Brit Gas and Armed Forces - glowing references. Still found it hard to land work, especially gas. Would say Brisbane would be more fruitful for plumbing work.

im sure it was you guys paul was talking about ;)

R00ksie Oct 3rd 2010 8:10 am

Originally Posted by soapy© (Post 8892416)
im sure it was you guys paul was talking about ;)

You think so mate....????