Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast's Greatest Hits

Sunshine Coast's Greatest Hits

Old Jan 28th 2006, 5:03 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of
Default Sunshine Coast's Greatest Hits

Have been here 18 months and trying many eateries, shops, places to visit etc etc I thought I would post this thread either for the newly arrived or for those who have other recommendations.

1. Best Thai - Thai Street, Buderim Pines (for takeaway or eat in)
2. Best Kebab house - still searching! The dog food here isn't the same.
3. Best pies - Bakery next to Ettamogah Pub isn't bad
4. Best Fish 'n' Chips - Maroochydore Seafoods, Aerodrome Road (proper chips not frozen - also do mushy peas) but one on Brisbane road, nr Surf & turf not bad either. Also, Mooloolaba fish market at The Spit
4. Best Fruit 'n Veg shop - Nikos on Aerodrome Road (and cheapest!)
5. Best Butcher - Meat World, Wises Road (also comprises Fish World for fish)
6. Best Indian - still searching - help!!!!!!! have heard Curry Bowl at kawana is good????????
7. Best walk - Noosa National park coastal track
8. Best coastal views - From top of Mount Coolum
9. Best buy to date - my $2000 2nd hand Vespa
10. Best pub/bar - still searching for that 'atmosphere'....
11. Best radio station - Triple J (89.5). Sorry, can't stand the local Hot 91 or Sea FM
12. Best ice cream - Massimo's on Hastings Street
13. Best weekend break - 3 day stay at Bunya Mountains (www.bunyamountains.com.au)
14. Best thing(s) about living here - too many to pinpoint down to one...working part time, the sunshine, slower pace, haven't had so much as a sniff or sneeze in 18 months, friendly people..................most of which money can't buy (apart from the $000's of dollars to get here!)
Old Jan 28th 2006, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

LauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really niceLauraJ is just really nice
Default Re: Sunshine Coast's Greatest Hits

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
Have been here 18 months and trying many eateries, shops, places to visit etc etc I thought I would post this thread either for the newly arrived or for those who have other recommendations.

4. Best Fish 'n' Chips - Maroochydore Seafoods, Aerodrome Road (proper chips not frozen - also do mushy peas) but one on Brisbane road, nr Surf & turf not bad either. Also, Mooloolaba fish market at The Spit
6. Best Indian - still searching - help!!!!!!! have heard Curry Bowl at kawana is good????????
11. Best radio station - Triple J (89.5). Sorry, can't stand the local Hot 91 or Sea FM
13. Best weekend break - 3 day stay at Bunya Mountains (www.bunyamountains.com.au)
14. Best thing(s) about living here - too many to pinpoint down to one...working part time, the sunshine, slower pace, haven't had so much as a sniff or sneeze in 18 months, friendly people..................most of which money can't buy (apart from the $000's of dollars to get here!)
Thanks for all the info As a newbie to the area it's great to hear where other's fav places are..you found a fish n chip shop that does mushy peas!! Gonna have to suggest a drive up to Maroochydore tomorra

If up Bribie way there's a fab chinese just left after crossing the bridge called Sun Lai 9-13 Benabrow Avenue, Bellara great take away and eat in and also "anything you can eat" seafood buffet on saturday nights

We haven't managed to find a decent kebab (or should I say keebaaarb) either, nor a good indian

Got hooked on 4KQ radio before comin over! Good if, like me, you like the oldies but goodies
Old Jan 28th 2006, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

sunshine sarah, i would agree with everything on your list, when we were over in 2003 we did almost the identical stuff and I agree about mount coolum. Its a bit of a steep treck mind to get the view.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sarah I shall print off the list and take it with me.
Sounds great cannot wait to get over there.
Dreamaway
Old Jan 28th 2006, 7:02 am
At last! We're here!!!

alison_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Can we include Steve and Catherines new Bakery which has just opened in Kuluin!! lovely french pastries as well as 'english' custard tarts and too many other yummy things to mention!!

Curry Bowl is about the best curry we've found too!!!
Good Post - I'll now work my way down your list!!
Alison
Old Jan 29th 2006, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Sydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really nice

The Best curry is found at India Today on Aerodrome Rd Maroochydore!!

For a special night out try the Boat Shed at Cotton Tree!! Bloody Great!!

For a nice weekend away drive up to 1770 and spend a day at Lady Musgrave Island. THE BEST SNORKELING!!!

Fish & Chips my vote goes to Salt & Battered at Alex.

If you have a 4WD go to Double Island point, Brilliant.

But The Sunny Coast for me is a 10 out of 10.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 5:27 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

[Steep but WELL worth it. A swim at Coolum beach followed by brunch somewhere is a must.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 5:30 am
sunshinesarah

You will not be disappointed Dreamaway. I've also just noticed you're from Nottingham. We lived in Bingham then Bottesford. From what I hear we got out at the best time. Anyway I don't want to turn this into another 'How bad is nottingham now' thread.

Focus on what you're coming to not what you're leaving behind. I can't rave about the place enough.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 5:32 am
sunshinesarah

Do Steve and Catherine give discounts to fellow POMS?
I have read about their bakery on this site now several times but can't think where the frig Kuluin is.... Will endeavour to check the map
Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

brasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant future

Hi Just had a curry tonight from The Curry Bowl at Kawana...just ACE!!!! we have tried the two on Aerodrome Road Maroochydore but not a patch on The Curry Bowl..they obviously do well they only open from 5pm till last order at 8.30pm...and if you want to go on a weekend you need to book...see you there....
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:35 am
At last! We're here!!!

alison_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Do Steve and Catherine give discounts to fellow POMS?
I have read about their bakery on this site now several times but can't think where the frig Kuluin is.... Will endeavour to check the map
Hi
Just down the hill from Buderim!! toward the Pot Place (there is one either side of the bridge) and MacDonalds.... new set of units alongside McDonalds....Can't miss it really..happy hunting!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Smile Re: Sunshine Coast's Greatest Hits

This will come in very handy(in Buderim too). I think the fish and chip shop in Buderims main street is pretty tasty but havent tried that many yet as only been here a few weeks.