Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast or WA

Sunshine Coast or WA

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunshine Coast or WA

Originally Posted by steve99

I havent lived in the Sunshine coast but have visited and its a lovely area, for a holiday... unless your There would be a lot more work in and around Perth than in the Sunshine coast...

Steve

I really have to disagree with that, we do live here and just thinking of english/scottish people we know here and where they work.

Teaching
Nursing
Midwifery
Bank employee
Receptionist
Real estate agent
Air condiition mechanic
Plasterer
Brickie
Carpenter
Childcare worker
Carpet layer
Printer
Engineer
IT but working from home
Site manager
Salesman
Shop assistant
Manager of retail plumbing store
Shop display consultant
Swimming pool builder
Concretor
Hairdresser
Advertising account manager for radio station
Electrician
Chef
Tiler
Accountancy
Doctor

You could extend that list if I could be bothered to type all the own business people or those that commute to brisbane.

Of course there will not be as many jobs as if you moved to the CBD sydney, but then would you compare Brighton jobs to London My guess is job opportunites one hour from brissie are much better than one hour from Perth tho, and I know the wages are higher here.

Average house price is $357,000 I think as someone said thats probably $100,000 more than perth, probably due to position, one hour flight to sydney etc.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jun 2nd 2005 at 7:15 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:40 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I really have to disagree with that, we do live here and just thinking of english/scottish people we know here and where they work.

Teaching
Nursing
Midwifery
Bank employee
Receptionist
Real estate agent
Air condiition mechanic
Plasterer
Brickie
Carpenter
Childcare worker
Carpet layer
Printer
Engineer
IT but working from home
Site manager
Salesman
Shop assistant
Manager of retail plumbing store
Shop display consultant
Swimming pool builder
Concretor
Hairdresser
Advertising account manager for radio station
Electrician
Chef
Tiler
Accountancy
Doctor

You could extend that list if I could be bothered to type all the own business people or those that commute to brisbane.

Of course there will not be as many jobs as if you moved to the CBD sydney, but then would you compare Brighton jobs to London My guess is job opportunites one hour from brissie are much better than one hour from Perth tho, and I know the wages are higher here.

Average house price is $357,000 I think as someone said thats probably $100,000 more than perth, probably due to position, one hour flight to sydney etc.
I dont disagree that there are these jobs there in the sunshine coast, but nowhere near the volume of each of them that would exist in Perth.
There may be as many in Brisbane, but its a lot further to Brisbane from the SC than it is from the coastal areas being compared in over here to Perth. WA (10KM)

I never mentioned Sydney so I think you've yourself there, Im comparing the SC to the Perth coastal suburbs and without a doubt there is a much greater volume of work within a closer proximity to the Perth coastal suburbs than the Sunshine coast.
If the average house price for the Sunshine coast is only $357 then its way way down on the coastal suburbs in Perth,
eg:
Cottesloe $980K
Trigg $550
City Beach $875K
Scarborough$415
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:44 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a lot more to WA than just Perth though, what about Bunbury and some of the smaller places up and down the coast (Margarets River etc)
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:52 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
There's a lot more to WA than just Perth though, what about Bunbury and some of the smaller places up and down the coast (Margarets River etc)
I agree, there some lovely towns up and down the coast over here, but there not really comparable to those over around the Sunshine coast, there more like sleepy underdeveloped versions, (and lets hope some of them stay that way) Mandurah, Busselton, Bunbury, Margaret River and Rockingham are the most comparable outside the Perth Metro areas.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies, although I don't want to start a war between WA and SC. (I've seen all the other threads that turn into a war of words)

Our plans are to buy / rent a small restaurant or coffee shop somewhere near the coast (perhaps Buderim), I also want to be self employed running an IT business (fixing PC's, laptops etc and setting up business networks), this is what I do at the moment in the UK.

Neither myself or the wife wants to work for anyone else if we can help it

I suppose what we really need is somewhere with plenty of people who want to eat in our restaurant and have their PC's fixed

Anyone know what I could charge for fixing PC's (hourly rate) and what a coffee costs?

Last edited by kevinbloomfield; Jun 2nd 2005 at 8:27 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Thanks for all the replies, although I don't want to start a war between WA and SC. (I've seen all the other threads that turn into a war of words)

Our plans are to buy / rent a small restaurant or coffee shop somewhere near the coast (perhaps Buderim), I also want to be self employed running an IT business (fixing PC's, laptops etc and setting up business networks), this is what I do at the moment in the UK.

I suppose what we really need is somewhere with plenty of people who want to eat in our restaurant and have their PC's fixed

Anyone know what I could charge for fixing PC's (hourly rate) and what a coffee costs?

Hi Kevin
have just flicked through our free community newspaper (Perth northern suburbs) and there are 28 adverts for PC services (onsite or mobile) troubleshooting/upgrades/installation /repairs/virus removal- all that type of stuff. The ones who put a cost are round about $25 to $30 an hour. There seems to ba a fair bit of competition because there are so many of them and so most seem to be offering special deals eg pensioner discounts, no call out fee, 9am-midnight 7 days etc. Sorry don't know how this will compare to the sunshine coast.
How's Bury St Edmunds? Thought we'd miss it heaps but haven't so far. No regrets at all.
Cheers Yvonne
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YFitz
Hi Kevin
have just flicked through our free community newspaper (Perth northern suburbs) and there are 28 adverts for PC services (onsite or mobile) troubleshooting/upgrades/installation /repairs/virus removal- all that type of stuff. The ones who put a cost are round about $25 to $30 an hour. There seems to ba a fair bit of competition because there are so many of them and so most seem to be offering special deals eg pensioner discounts, no call out fee, 9am-midnight 7 days etc. Sorry don't know how this will compare to the sunshine coast.
How's Bury St Edmunds? Thought we'd miss it heaps but haven't so far. No regrets at all.
Cheers Yvonne
Thanks for that Yvonne

Bury St Edmunds is fine, sunny at the moment but I expect it will pour down later.
Those rates seem quite low, the rate over here ranges from £25 - £60 per hour. I suppose that is to be expected though considering lower wages etc.

Any idea on the coffee house culture?, loads in the UK now making loads of money
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

We have two guys we call out for PC help and they charge between $50 and $70 an hour. Coffee shops in buderim, some girls from this site went up there about 3 weeks ago, the one next to Brown Realty for those who know it, every table was full, we also know a scottish couple who run the pizzeria seems to be doing well too. Buderim has local trade too, less seasonal than mooloolaba which can be all or nothing.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

We have two guys we call out for PC help and they charge between $50 and $70 an hour. Coffee shops in buderim, some girls from this site went up there about 3 weeks ago, the one next to Brown Realty for those who know it, every table was full, we also know a scottish couple who run the pizzeria seems to be doing well too. Buderim has local trade too, less seasonal than mooloolaba which can be all or nothing.
That sounds a bit better than Perth!
So I reckon if we bought a coffee house and I ran an IT company we should be OK (we will not be having a mortgage on our house)
Not particulary interested in getting rich, just want enough cash so we can go out now and then and have a half decent car for both of us
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:59 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

We are still undecided on Sunshine Coast or WA, property seems a lot cheaper ($100k less) in WA but is there a reason for this?

All well and good buying a cheap house but not a lot of use if there is no work!!

Anyone been to both areas?

Any opinions would be appreciated

don't be fooled about house prices, WA is still booming comared to the rest of Oz.

WA's median house price has overtaken Adelaide and is about 20k below Melbourne and not that much further behind Brisbane, according to last weeks Sunday Times.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:11 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Yvonne

Bury St Edmunds is fine, sunny at the moment but I expect it will pour down later.
Those rates seem quite low, the rate over here ranges from £25 - £60 per hour. I suppose that is to be expected though considering lower wages etc.

Any idea on the coffee house culture?, loads in the UK now making loads of money
the average oz wage is actually greater than the average uk wage. the average house prices are comparable also, you just get a lot more for your money here.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:28 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I looked at one of the accountancy agents websites there were well over 100 jobs in Perth and none on the Sunshine Coast.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:37 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Jobs: (Anywhere)

The shock to most is australias way of employing people, often casually or short term contracts the job security of the UK is not guaranteed anywhere here.

This bit I dont see unless the person is wanting a casual or part time job. Maybe its cos I am in WA, but when the better half started looking for workl and was really wanting something part time could find nothing but fulltime work. Obviously all depends on what line of work, but as I am in the building industry all there is fulltime with shit loads of overtime available.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:53 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
This bit I dont see unless the person is wanting a casual or part time job. Maybe its cos I am in WA, but when the better half started looking for workl and was really wanting something part time could find nothing but fulltime work. Obviously all depends on what line of work, but as I am in the building industry all there is fulltime with shit loads of overtime available.
from personal experience I agree with you about part time v full time, not much part time about...

and another thing WA has it's lowest employment in 25 years so there is, as you say, a shit load of jobs.

depends on what industry one works in I suppose as to which state one settles in.