Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast schools advice please.

Sunshine Coast schools advice please.

Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

wooah will become famous soon enough
Default Sunshine Coast schools advice please.

I need some input in to a bit of an issue I have about schools.

We (me, wife, 3 kids- 6/4/2) have been living here on the Sunshine Coast of Queensland for a few months now and we all love the beaches and lifestyle. The issue is the schools. My eldest is in year 1 (should be in Prep but he had already completed 2 years of a UK school and as a July birthday only just missed the cut off age so was put into year 1) in a state school and the work he is getting is similar to the stuff he was doing at pre school in the UK, colouring, cutting and pasting mostly, he says he is bored and that school is easy and we have noticed a behavioural change in him. We have been looking at loads of private schools here but the work we have seen has also been very basic. A lot of the English people here say the same, and many locals say the Queensland state school system in general is rubbish.

We have looked at schools in NSW and they are better but the areas we have been looking at do not offer the lifestyle we want. We don't want to live in a city or away from the coast or anywhere where I won't be able to get a job.

I would be keen to hear from any families who have been in the school system longer who could give their opinions on schools in Qld/Sunshine Coast or anywhere.

Thanks.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sunshine Coast schools advice please.

I have a child in year one and one in prep. It seems that school is easier here but then I compare my yr 1 with her same aged friends at home and actually they seem to be doing the same work. Except in the UK the projects seem a lot more comprehensive. My prep child is not doing the same level as back home.

In terms of school - I have stopped worrying about it at all - I dont live in the uk and don't intend to ever again and so what matters to me is my children getting the best education that I can offer them here at their home. I plan to round that off with life experiences and wider education from travel etc. Children have a funny way of ending up on their own path anyway so all I can do is offer them the best choices that I can

In terms of schools, I have looked into it in great detail. Flinders is the top of the pack. followed it seems by Suncoast and perhaps the grammar. I havent heard great things about Immanuel. State school wise everyone talks of Mountain Creek - mine went to Kuluin for a while and I quite liked it. The marks at Mountain Creek on the myschool website are nowhere near the private schools but there are arguments for and against the comparison methods.

My children go to Stella Maris Catholic school in Maroochydore - I have 3 and cant afford to send them all private from prep and for me this was an excellent trade off. I like the family values, the school ideals. I get lots of feedback on syllabus and there are extra lessons such as piano available for a fee. The environment is well managed and presentation is considered. I am not a catholic. I do however want morals/ethics to be part of school as well as home so it works quite well.

The cost is far less than the private schools at under 4k a year for 3 children. I moved from state this last year and I am very happy with the decision. I also do 30 minutes per day of add on teaching (not homework but outside of curriculum).

I think there is a lot of snobbery/judgements made on the school system here and in the uk - its different yes. Its a different country, with different standards and different life models. On the international league tables though the UK isnt doing so great either and at least my kids arent being exposed to the grow-up at 12 mentality and the downturn in standards that they would have had in Wales. My friends from Herts didnt see this as much as they didnt get a lot of exposure to crime at home but again its down to the area you came from originally.

I know a lot of very bright Australians that I worked with in the UK and I cant say I ever considered them to be less educated than me.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sunshine Coast schools advice please.

I am going to wales in 3 weeks and the children are going for a month into school there - it will be interesting to see what we come up with !