Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast Meet Ups

Sunshine Coast Meet Ups

Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:24 am
Just Joined

wadhamsfamily is on a distinguished road
Default Sunshine Coast Meet Ups

Hi all we have been on the Sunshine Coast (Pelican Waters) for 3 weeks since arriving from the UK on the 11/11. Wondering if there any meet ups we can attend with our 9 yr Old Ben.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:50 am
Just Joined

kiran m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sunshine Coast Meet Ups

Hi there, we are coming to live in Little Mountain in April !! Our 2 girls 8yrs & 3 yrs ll be going to Caloundra city school on Pelican Waters !!! Whats like living there???
Many thanks
KIRY
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi Kiran, Don't know much about Little Mountain although Agents do tell me that it's very nice and property there seems lovely in the property magazines. Have visited Caloundra City School and was impressed. The staff were lovely and although it is still quite a small school (benefits in class sizes) it does seem to have big plans for the near future as it develops. Each child is given a lap top, not sure in what year, but our son would have been going into year 5 and he would have had one. Had we decided to stay in Pelican Waters or thereabouts we would have enrolled our son - can't say much more than that really.

We've been here a month on Tuesday. It really is a beautiful area. The beaches are great and the hinterland ie Buderim and Montville are lovely.

Usually we feel like the luckiest people on the planet and it's only occasionally we get a little homesick for family and friends. Had a large circle of buddies in the UK, have yet to make a single friend here. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Once you arrive get in touch and we'll chat further. Anything else I can help you with, let me know. Good luck with all the goodbyes, but trust me all the heartache is worth it.

Angela
Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:06 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Theres a wine o clock group for women (not just from UK) and they meet once a month for drinks and a catch up - help each other in business etc. Everyone is really nice. they also all go camping etc with families every now and again.

For the mum of the 3 year old - there is a play group on Mons Road Buderim which is huge - a different crowd every day, lots for children to do, quite a lot of women from the UK go there too.

I love the coast - its really friendly and just perfect with kids I think.

I miss people from home but never really miss the place. I really miss Marks, TEscos and Sainsbury though, never thought i would be saying that. I miss the choice of things to buy but the lifestyle is too good for the kids to go back.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Sunshine Coast Meet Ups

Originally Posted by wadhamsfamily
Hi Kiran, Don't know much about Little Mountain although Agents do tell me that it's very nice and property there seems lovely in the property magazines. Have visited Caloundra City School and was impressed. The staff were lovely and although it is still quite a small school (benefits in class sizes) it does seem to have big plans for the near future as it develops. Each child is given a lap top, not sure in what year, but our son would have been going into year 5 and he would have had one. Had we decided to stay in Pelican Waters or thereabouts we would have enrolled our son - can't say much more than that really.

We've been here a month on Tuesday. It really is a beautiful area. The beaches are great and the hinterland ie Buderim and Montville are lovely.

Usually we feel like the luckiest people on the planet and it's only occasionally we get a little homesick for family and friends. Had a large circle of buddies in the UK, have yet to make a single friend here. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Once you arrive get in touch and we'll chat further. Anything else I can help you with, let me know. Good luck with all the goodbyes, but trust me all the heartache is worth it.

Angela
Thank u soo much Angela , would love to meet up once we are there !!!We wanted to go to Maleny & Mountville but schools had waiting lists & C C School looked just right & both are girls got places there!!!
Are u loving the hot weather ??? its snowing here & cud be kids last snowy X-mas !! So u wont be sitting by the log fire eating mince pies & mulled wine (M& S) next few wks ???
Did u find the rentals easy ?? Which agent did u use & how quickly can u get the house ??? We ll be staying in a hotel for 3 wks on pelican waters ((Crown Plaza) & hoping to pre book the appointments with agents from here!!!
Have fun & enjoy the sunny weather !
spk tu soon
Kiran
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by viviennef
Theres a wine o clock group for women (not just from UK) and they meet once a month for drinks and a catch up - help each other in business etc. Everyone is really nice. they also all go camping etc with families every now and again.

For the mum of the 3 year old - there is a play group on Mons Road Buderim which is huge - a different crowd every day, lots for children to do, quite a lot of women from the UK go there too.

I love the coast - its really friendly and just perfect with kids I think.

I miss people from home but never really miss the place. I really miss Marks, TEscos and Sainsbury though, never thought i would be saying that. I miss the choice of things to buy but the lifestyle is too good for the kids to go back.
Hello there !! How far is Buderim from Caloundra ? Are there any big stores for sofas,beds, kitchen stuff etc in Caloundra??? Do they offer store cards, buy now & pay later options etc ???
Many thanks
Kiran
Many thanks
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:03 pm

I go to Caloundra all the time because my friend lives there - it takes maybe 10 minutes - I live near the sunshine coast motorway.

Most stores do interest free through GE finance, you find lots on Nicklin way and there is HOME in kawana that has furniture shops. Its just up the road 5 mins from you - I don't usually shop actually in Caloundra itself but I am guessing there is stuff there but not the big furniture shops.

Maroochydore is where the main shopping centre is - I live just behind there on the bottom of Buderim.

If you want to go for coffee one morning, I meet an english friend regularly when I should be working so could give you a shout.

Vivienne
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the info Viv !!! Did'nt think Buderim wud be that close to Caloundra ??? I;m really pleased with our choice of place !! We are in Caloundra 16th April 09, still some time to go, Love to get in touch once we are there!!
Kiran:
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

[

Maroochydore is where the main shopping centre is - I live just behind there on the bottom of Buderim.

If you want to go for coffee one morning, I meet an english friend regularly when I should be working so could give you a shout.

Vivienne[/QUOTE]

Hi Vivienne,

Do you live in the Buderim Pines area or the north end? We live in Buderim Pines, maybe we could arrange to meet up sometime?

Lynn xx
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi Kiran

Sorry I havn't been on the blog for a couple of days, been too busy sunning ourselves on the beach this weekend!! Really hot and muggy at the moment, but so far bearable. If you're staying in the hotel on Pelican Waters it will be the Crowne Plaza? We've been 'on occasion' using the gym there and it seems really nice. Rentals won't be a problem. We were panicking a bit as we had to vacate our current house on 11/12 and until about 5 days ago didn't like anything we'd seen so far. When your planning on spending more that just a couple of weeks somewhere you want it to be just right (I'm a bit fussy like that). We used a website a lot called realestate.com.au to check purchases and rentals in the area. The house we're in now is gorgeous, but a little expensive (about $900 a week) that was from Raine and Horne at Caloundra if you're interested. It's a show home so everything is brand new (apparently was a raffle prize for some lucky lady!!)

Seems that others have hijacked my thread!! Hands off I need as many friends as I can get at the moment!! Only kidding Vivienne and Lynne??? I too would be very pleased to meet up with 'anyone' pleassssssse

Furniture again won't be an issue. Nicklin Highway has it all and the Sunshine Plaza in Maroochydore (25 minutes from Caloundra) has the rest!
Sofas etc seem much cheaper here (same in dollars as pounds!) but white goods seem a little more expensive.

Move out of here on 12th into new pad and our stuff arrives from UK on 13th - how exciting, I can put a Christmas tree up and make the place feel like home.

Spent the evening last night at Caloundra City School where they had Carols by Candlelight. It was a massive event - TV crew and guest stars etc. Fantastic show - very professional. It was actually really nice to spread out on a blanket on the floor in the warm evening air and be entertained by the likes of 'Bing Crosby' and White Christmas.

We are doing an online diary, so if you would like to put a face to the name and read about how we are getting along, take a look at web.me.com/wadhamsfamily.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Angela
Old Dec 7th 2008, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi Angela !!! Hows ur house move going??? We really love the show house u've stayed, we have asked for the same house from agents if its available in April to rent !!! Which removals did u hire ?? Let me know if they did good job ?? We have very little to take,( no beds, no cupboards, no garden stuff,) few sofas, dinning table , chairs, loads of kids toys,cloths, shoes, books, Cd collections, Fridge, kitchen stuff etc.. Husband not very keen to take anything except cloths but Emirates only allowing 27 kg each.Did u take ur T.V & does it work there???
We are in Bromsgrove, worcestershire , where was ur house here ??
My husband (Peg) is keeping his business here so ll be coming back few times a year!!! Are u happy with ur work / business etc...?
Good luck for everything & spk tu soon.
Kiran
Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:13 pm

Sorry Angela I forget where the thread begins sometimes.

Be great to all meet up and say hi - Do you work in the daytime?

Vivienne
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Hi Kiran

Glad you like the house and good luck with getting the rental. We moved out from Lichfield, Staffordshire, so not too far from you guys (about 45mins). The removal company we used was a local firm called Charles Hines. We've used them a couple of times in the UK and hopefully all our stuff will arrive in one piece on Saturday. Looking forward to having a few familiar things around us and it will be great to put up our tree! We had a 20ft container and sounds like we brought a similar amount of stuff as your suggesting. We did include our TVs, and as far as we know they will work (as long as they're not more than a couple of years old), not sure that you can bring fridges etc - you'd need to check that. Went shopping for fridge/freezer, washing machine and sofas today so credit card taken a real bashing!!! Stay in touch.

Angela

Hi Vivienne,

It would be lovely to meet up some time. I'm not working at the moment, having only been here 4 weeks today. We arrived on a business visa so need to set up a business. My husband had a mortgage brockerage in the UK but not sure whether that's what we'll do here. It's been so frantic the last 4 weeks with organising housing, schools, furniture etc that we've not yet given it much thought.

We love Buderim, and have viewed several houses in and around that area. Have decided to rent for a while to see what the market is going to do and to give us time to have a really good look around. My son's enrolled in Immanuel Lutheran College so we'll need to be within 15 minutes of the school.

What do you do for work?

Speak soon - mums calling on skype.

Angela
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:14 am

I live just up the road from the Lutheran, on the bottom end of Buderim. My children have their swimming lessons there (too young yet for school - they don't start until Jan 2010). we are thinking of Flinders school but will maybe put them in Buderim State primary and then move for secondary. Not sure yet.

Work - where do I start I work for myself doing about 5 different things - all in their infancy. I take contracts as a programmer (well my last one ended last November and I hope not to do any more), run my husbands bookings/business (he does sign installations plus I use 4 other teams), take on online marketing customers and am launching a range of animal products. I also have 3 children under 4 and run two animal welfare sites plus a scheme to help children with mild disabilities take part in outside school activities. Kinda full on at the moment. I am trying to cut back though slowly.

I spend a bit of time in Brisbane but am back on the coast tomorrow probably. I will pm you my contact details. Maybe we could all meet for coffee somewhere

Vivienne
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi Vivienne,

Wow, what a busy schedule you have - you put me to shame!! I had the majority of my boys very early (21 when I had my first). We have 4 between us, having both been married before. Sadly 2 of the older boys have remained in the UK. Mark's son stayed with his mum and my eldest (21 now) felt that he had too much to give up just yet . Hoping he'll come for a holiday and decide to stay! So we're here with my 9 year old and 18 year old (big gap!!)who is travelling in a 'hippie camper' to Cairns with his buddy.

I tried to get a place for my son at Matthew Flinders, but they have a waiting list for his year group (5). I am still considering applying (having a tour on Wednesday) and going on the list with a view to moving him either in year 7 or sooner if he doesn't settle at Immanuel. Not really considered state schools. He was in a good state school at home, but didn't reach his potential. I know a lot of that is due to age and maturity, and being a boy, but hope that independent school works better for him. Obviously it does help that we only have the one to pay for although Oliver's (my 18 year old) applied to QU (oooch that hurts!!) No better investment though!

Sorry I'm going on a bit! Hope you find time to reply

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.