British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sunshine Coast meet up -update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sunshine-coast-meet-up-update-229655/)

tinaj May 10th 2004 1:20 am

Sunshine Coast meet up -update

The meet up yesterday was a great success- apart from the fact that over half the barbies were shut for renovation!

It didn't look promising as 2 families had taken over the single barbie, until a bloke came up to us in true Aussie fashion as said ' were be gone in half hour'. (you wouldn't get that in England) They even cleaned the barbie before they left, then sent a child over to say they were leaving.

The sun shone and the sea glistened in the background. Carriann was there talking about her lists, Pollyana brought the bloke, I droned on about how much we loved it. Foggies brought their 2 happy kids along and 3 other families came - sorry I can't remember their names.

Interestingly though all of us said we had no intention of going back and everyone was happy with their new lifestyles. Di said she fancied a change but agreed she got bored easily! Everyone agreed that the Queensland climate was hard to beat as we sat there in 25c in the middle of Autumn!

Great to meet up with you all and hope we can do it again soon.

:)

Pollyana May 10th 2004 9:08 am

Twas a good day out! I can't remember all the names either, though I remember Sarn said she is loving it and trying to convince hubby he loves it here just as much!!
Beautiful setting, must be even better when they aren't working on the place. I'm sure we'll have another one up there sometime!!

I remembered one thing though - anyone on the forum know a good plumber in reasonable reach of the Redcliffe peninsula????:)

artep May 10th 2004 9:16 am

Glad to hear you all had a good time.........hopefully we'll be there in time for your 100th meet :rolleyes: ;).....if my house ever sells..

Got any pics???

sarn May 10th 2004 10:26 am

good to meet you all

It was good to meet you all. We obviously made a good impression as only Pollyanna remembered us!!!! We found Carrianne was bubbly, friendly,probably a real scream at a party. Mo gave us some useful advice about this and that! Tina was bursting with encouraging thoughts about OZ. Di has been here a while and sounded to us as if she has the Aussie accent already. Two other families that we didn't really get to chat to. All in all a nice bunch of people who we would like to meet up with again!!!
Thanks

whisky May 10th 2004 10:54 am

Really pleased that you all had a good day.
The weathersounded great. We were working all day with it being Mothers Day but had 110kms winds and gales and had to keep locking the door on the restaurant to keep the weather out and the people in.
My Sister lives on the Gold coast and I am definately going to be over for one of your meets.

Whisky

jad n rich May 10th 2004 11:01 am

Re: good to meet you all

Thanks to those who organised it, my boys had a great time, those kids playgrounds would have to be the best I have seen out here, when we walked to the car they spent another half hour on a flying fox and another park, began to wonder if we would ever get home. Glad I went along was a bit worried about it after my kids thought I had flipped meeting people off the net! Nice people and I remember you Sarn you saved my son from his slack mother who didnt pack a BBQ lunch. Next time I shall be more organised :)

Andy_Hanrahan May 10th 2004 11:12 am

Re: Sunshine Coast meet up -update

Glad to hear everyone enjoyed themselves. Sorry we missed it.

So come on then, when's the next one?!

Andy

Originally posted by tinaj
The meet up yesterday was a great success- apart from the fact that over half the barbies were shut for renovation!

It didn't look promising as 2 families had taken over the single barbie, until a bloke came up to us in true Aussie fashion as said ' were be gone in half hour'. (you wouldn't get that in England) They even cleaned the barbie before they left, then sent a child over to say they were leaving.

The sun shone and the sea glistened in the background. Carriann was there talking about her lists, Pollyana brought the bloke, I droned on about how much we loved it. Foggies brought their 2 happy kids along and 3 other families came - sorry I can't remember their names.

Interestingly though all of us said we had no intention of going back and everyone was happy with their new lifestyles. Di said she fancied a change but agreed she got bored easily! Everyone agreed that the Queensland climate was hard to beat as we sat there in 25c in the middle of Autumn!

Great to meet up with you all and hope we can do it again soon.

:)

Pollyana May 10th 2004 12:44 pm

Jad n Rich! I couldn't remember the username, just that you said you didn't post much! Sounds like the kids had a great time - bet they can't wait for the next one - and now you know, people you meet on the net are all crackers!!
Foggies, I haven't tracked down that plumber yet, but I know theres one out there somewhere.......

Whisky - soon as you know when you're coming across, give us a yell, and we'll organise something:) Sudden thought - after you said you might come to our girls night out, Dotty packed her bags and left for the UK........hmmmm!!!!:eek:

tinaj May 10th 2004 12:51 pm

Sorry Sarn for not remebering your name! We should have stuck those sticky labels on us, then we would have looked really wacko:D

JadnRich- the playgrounds on all the beaches around there are fab, now you all know why I like it so much - free childcare! Sod paying for a babysitter, we just go down to Moffat or King's beach and the kids play happily for hours, while we have a few bevvies and stare at the sea.:)

By the way the next meet up is a GIRLS NIGHT ONLY

Pollyana May 10th 2004 12:59 pm

Should be a good one too Tina, shouldn't it! We certainly can't post any pictures of that one:)

Foggies May 11th 2004 1:09 am

It was good to meet everyone although I fear we may have appeared anti-social at first! The friends we brought along have only been here 5 weeks and we suspect that as they are expats virgins they wondered about our sanity, driving for an hour to have a BBQ with a load of people we've never met before:confused:
Anyway, it was very enjoyable and good to put names to faces. Sorry we were pathetic and brought a picnic, this stems from the Coochiemudlo meet when we had 1 tired BBQ with the output of a 20W light bulb to cook meat for 25+ people, our kids don't deal well with hunger:D :D
Thanks to Pollyanna for her sterling work at trying to find us a plumber who can do some work for us before January 2006!!!!!!! We'll keep on trying and we'll be ok so long as we get something sorted out before the storms start, our drains don't deal well with torrential rain:scared:
Enjoy "Penis puppetry" so sorry I can't be there!!!!

Love
Claire
XXXX