Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast here we come-soon

Sunshine Coast here we come-soon

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:04 pm
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sunshine Coast here we come-soon

We have just exchanged contracts on our house-quick sale and went very smoothly(amazingly).

We (me, wife and two kids 10 and 7) are heading for the Sunshine Coast around the Mountain Creek area, as the school seems to have a good name, on Sep the 5th.
We visited the area in April and were very impressed, although from what I have seen the work side may be a little difficult to get. I am a qualified fitter by trade but can turn my hand to most things so am prepared to do anything really.

The kids are a bit nervous about leaving their friends and family but will hopefully settle quickly, probably more so than us.

Does anyone know what the rental situation is like around that area, I have looked on realestate.com but there doesn't seem to be loads of choice.

How do others like the area, especially Buderim,Mountain Creek,Maroochydore and if anyone has kids at Mountain Creek School what do they think of it?

Well I will need to get back to my list of things to do before we go now-only 200 more to go
Dave
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:44 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sunshine Coast here we come-soon

excellent stuff good luck with the move
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Shell & Ash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happy chappy
We have just exchanged contracts on our house-quick sale and went very smoothly(amazingly).

We (me, wife and two kids 10 and 7) are heading for the Sunshine Coast around the Mountain Creek area, as the school seems to have a good name, on Sep the 5th.
We visited the area in April and were very impressed, although from what I have seen the work side may be a little difficult to get. I am a qualified fitter by trade but can turn my hand to most things so am prepared to do anything really.

The kids are a bit nervous about leaving their friends and family but will hopefully settle quickly, probably more so than us.

Does anyone know what the rental situation is like around that area, I have looked on realestate.com but there doesn't seem to be loads of choice.

How do others like the area, especially Buderim,Mountain Creek,Maroochydore and if anyone has kids at Mountain Creek School what do they think of it?

Well I will need to get back to my list of things to do before we go now-only 200 more to go
Dave
Hi Dave

We live in Buderim and have been here nearly four months. We love it and all the surrounding areas too. Our little boy (7) goes to the school in Buderim which is really nice. He has settled quite well for someone who has never liked school! Only trouble we had with him was that, unlike in the UK, he is always out playing and after a month of being here fell and broke his arm. He needed two operations and it has taken over 8 weeks to sort. He has finally got the cast off now, and he is back on his bike! (you can't tell him - I've tried). Apart from that we have had no problems. Hubby is a spark and he is working in Buderim and has found work easily. I don't work (yet) and youngest is trying out the playgroups. We are leaving our rental in a couple of weeks, so there is one up for grabs if you fancy it!

Good luck with your move.

Shelley
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

Dave
Hi Dave.
Good luck with the move! we've been hear 8mths now and we love it, when we first arrived we rented in Chancellor Park, we've since moved into our own place in Buderim. have a look at www.toprentals.com.au they are a rental company in Buderim, and sometimes the local papers have private rentals too.
My two kids go to Chancellor school and have settled in really well.
Paula.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:44 pm
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shell & Ash
Hi Dave

We live in Buderim and have been here nearly four months. We love it and all the surrounding areas too. Our little boy (7) goes to the school in Buderim which is really nice. He has settled quite well for someone who has never liked school! Only trouble we had with him was that, unlike in the UK, he is always out playing and after a month of being here fell and broke his arm. He needed two operations and it has taken over 8 weeks to sort. He has finally got the cast off now, and he is back on his bike! (you can't tell him - I've tried). Apart from that we have had no problems. Hubby is a spark and he is working in Buderim and has found work easily. I don't work (yet) and youngest is trying out the playgroups. We are leaving our rental in a couple of weeks, so there is one up for grabs if you fancy it!
Shelley

Hi Shelly
Glad you like Buderim. Did you compare Schools when you were out there or just go to your nearest one? We are looking at Mountain Creek but would be interested to know how the two compare.
Does your Hubby think getting work in the construction industry would be easy even though I don't have qualifications in that area (I have been self employed as a plasterer and general handyman).
Is there plenty of building going on there?
Thanks for the replies
Dave
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:51 pm
Live it not dream it!!

Originally Posted by cantwait
Hi Dave.
Good luck with the move! we've been hear 8mths now and we love it, when we first arrived we rented in Chancellor Park, we've since moved into our own place in Buderim. have a look at www.toprentals.com.au they are a rental company in Buderim, and sometimes the local papers have private rentals too.
My two kids go to Chancellor school and have settled in really well.
Paula.
Thanks for the advice Paula I will have a look at the website you mentioned. Is there a catchment area for Chancellor Park, as there is for the Mountain Creek School. It may be easier for us if we don't have to worry about catchment area.

We are coming for the lifestyle so initially I am just happy to do any job that pays the bills.

How are property prices doing over there as I see alot of places have been on the market a while now?
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 1:47 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We too are heading out to Brisbane at the beginning of September and we are going to settle somewhere between Mount Cotton (south of Brisbane) and Townsville.

My husband is also a maintenance fitter and he currently works in a quarry in the uk. We are not sure about work either but at least it is a skill in demand!

I think he is going to target the quarries in the area but also see what manufacturing there is as he did his apprenticeship with Westland Helicopters. What is your plan of action?

Good luck with it all, maybe see you there!
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Good luck with the move. I hope it all goes well and you settle in quickly.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:41 pm
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Nice.! Good luck with everything.See you out there late September
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice Paula I will have a look at the website you mentioned. Is there a catchment area for Chancellor Park, as there is for the Mountain Creek School. It may be easier for us if we don't have to worry about catchment area.

We are coming for the lifestyle so initially I am just happy to do any job that pays the bills.

How are property prices doing over there as I see alot of places have been on the market a while now?
Hi Dave

We've just got back from our rekkie trip to the same area. Whilst there we made appointments to visit both those schools and were very impressed with them. Both schools have strict catchment areas, so you have to be careful especially on some streets where you may just fall out. We picked up the prospectus for both schools which contains the catchment maps. Websites are: www.chancellorsc.eq.edu.au and www.mtncreekss.eq.edu.au

We made several enquiries at local real estates agents and the prices I'm told are remaining stable.

Let me know if you need any more information about the schools and I'll see if it's in the prospectus. Well done on your house sale, mine will be on the market next week, so we hope for a quick sale and then we'll be right behind you!

Regards

Bosshogg
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:23 pm
Live it not dream it!!

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi
We too are heading out to Brisbane at the beginning of September and we are going to settle somewhere between Mount Cotton (south of Brisbane) and Townsville.

My husband is also a maintenance fitter and he currently works in a quarry in the uk. We are not sure about work either but at least it is a skill in demand!

I think he is going to target the quarries in the area but also see what manufacturing there is as he did his apprenticeship with Westland Helicopters. What is your plan of action?

Good luck with it all, maybe see you there!
Working in a quarry will be an advantage as it's heavy industry which is in demand. I worked for Gillette for 16 years in a manufacturing environment so it may be harder to fing that type of work. I was told from a contact in Brisbane that I would have no problem getting a job as a fitter aparrently there is lots of contract work as well which pays well.

We loved Brisbane I would live there if I couldn't get work on the Sunshine Coast.
All the best
Dave
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 5:28 pm
Live it not dream it!!

Originally Posted by Bosshogg
Hi Dave

We've just got back from our rekkie trip to the same area. Whilst there we made appointments to visit both those schools and were very impressed with them. Both schools have strict catchment areas, so you have to be careful especially on some streets where you may just fall out. We picked up the prospectus for both schools which contains the catchment maps. Websites are: www.chancellorsc.eq.edu.au and www.mtncreekss.eq.edu.au

We made several enquiries at local real estates agents and the prices I'm told are remaining stable.

Let me know if you need any more information about the schools and I'll see if it's in the prospectus. Well done on your house sale, mine will be on the market next week, so we hope for a quick sale and then we'll be right behind you!

Regards

Bosshogg
Thanks for the info on the schools I know that the catchment area is strict, we picked up a map when we were out there in April.

We were set on Mountain Creek but thought we better look at other schools incase we couldn't get a rental in the area.

Did you look at rental availability while there?
Where are you hoping to settle?
Dave
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 6:11 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Dave,
Just wanted to say congratulations on the house sale

Julie. x
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info on the schools I know that the catchment area is strict, we picked up a map when we were out there in April.

We were set on Mountain Creek but thought we better look at other schools incase we couldn't get a rental in the area.

Did you look at rental availability while there?
Where are you hoping to settle?
Dave
Hi again
I have some rental lists in front of me, in the areas of Mountain Creek:
Pam Court Realty had 2, Remax had 1 and Ray White had 5. Chancellor Park Realty had 9 for their area. I got the feeling rentals turned over quickly but there was always new ones coming on. You'll find something pretty quick I'm sure.
We are hoping to go to Mountain Creek.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Shell & Ash is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shelly
Glad you like Buderim. Did you compare Schools when you were out there or just go to your nearest one? We are looking at Mountain Creek but would be interested to know how the two compare.
Does your Hubby think getting work in the construction industry would be easy even though I don't have qualifications in that area (I have been self employed as a plasterer and general handyman).
Is there plenty of building going on there?
Thanks for the replies
Dave

Hi Dave

We did compare schools but both had a really good reputation. We did want to be in Buderim, so that really decided the school. When we found our rental it was just outside of the zone. We had to fill out an extra form, saying why you wanted that school and then it was put before the principal. It was only just outside so it was accepted. Technically it is in the zone for Kuluin State School.

There is lots of building going on at the moment, wouldn't have thought you would have much trouble getting work (will ask hubby though when he gets back from work). Don't expect high wages though - its pretty crap pay!

Shelley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.