Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast Dog Kennels

Sunshine Coast Dog Kennels

Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Sunshine Coast Dog Kennels

Can anyone recommend one that they were happy with ?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:30 am
Just Joined

ey up 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sunshine Coast Dog Kennels

We used the one at Kunda Park last week & all good.
Think its called Maroochy Kennels, 1 pike st. 54451786
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:32 am
Just Joined

TheDillys is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, we have used Maroochy Boarding Kennels before and all seemed fine.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Thanks ! We went to look at the Maroochy kennels but they would not show us around and show us where the dogs will be sleeping for 'health and safety reasons' Not sending my dogs to board somewhere if I can not see what it is like.
Checked out Nambour Pet Resort also but was horrified to learn that they use electric shock collars to stop the dogs from barking !
The search continues....
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:33 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Most boarding kennels in the world, will not allow the public in !

FACT !

Get over it, you have 2 recommendations, what more do you want?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice one Steve but I don't wish to get into an arguement with anyone over this. Am just feeding back what I saw in case other people also want a recommendation. Run a kennel do you ?

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Most boarding kennels in the world, will not allow the public in !

FACT !

Get over it, you have 2 recommendations, what more do you want?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:44 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
Nice one Steve but I don't wish to get into an arguement with anyone over this. Am just feeding back what I saw in case other people also want a recommendation. Run a kennel do you ?
Soz Mel, I wasnt having a go ! Trust me on that.

Many kennels all over the world, uk, usa, oz, etc etc etc will not allow the public into the kennel area.

It upsets dogs, and can cause fights to break out between dogs as they vie for attention.
Furthermore, not many kennels, allow you in with the dog, when they take him/her thru to the kennels.

I have 7 dogs, and a new person coming in, sets them off big time.

They jump up the fences in the kennel block, and can or could do themselves serious injury.

Why jeopardise someone elses pooch, cos you wanna see where the dog is gonna sleep etc.

However....

I do agree, that it does sound suspect.. what have they got to hise etc, but a busy kennels can have 50-100 animals.. which could cause absolute pandemonium.

Most good boarding kennels, have common areas, fully dog proofed, for you to interact with your dog, or indeed to say goodbye.. rather than dropping them off at the door, and driving off into the sunset !

Dont take my comment to seriously, as I wasnt having a dig...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:48 am
Banned

Regarding electric shock collars...

They can only be used as part of a training program, for behavioural reasons, and control.

The dog must be trained over a gradual period of time, to understand how the collar works, and must be trained by an experienced person.

We have had a great deal to do with these type dog collars, and anti barking stuff.. we were very close to buying into a franchise...

You cannot just drop a dog off, whack a collar on and thats that ! I would report that kennel to the RSPCA.

It takes about 4 weeks , of gradual training to accustomize the dog to the collar, and get used to Zoning.

That is a seriously dubious OUTFIT !
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

Hi there

I'm still in the UK and looking for dog kennels here so I can visit Australia. Went to visit two at the weekend, and both allowed us to see where the days stay and theire sleeping area.

If they are good and have nothing to hide they are more than happy for you to see them. One guy had restricted hours though as he said he can't have people coming and going all day long, A) it upsets the dogs and B) he can't get on with his job of looking after them, (made sense to me). He knew all the dogs by their first names, and had the radio playing for them.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by andreak
Hi there

I'm still in the UK and looking for dog kennels here so I can visit Australia. Went to visit two at the weekend, and both allowed us to see where the days stay and theire sleeping area.

If they are good and have nothing to hide they are more than happy for you to see them. One guy had restricted hours though as he said he can't have people coming and going all day long, A) it upsets the dogs and B) he can't get on with his job of looking after them, (made sense to me). He knew all the dogs by their first names, and had the radio playing for them.
Not necessarily true.

Some of the finest Kennels, will not let you thru to the kennel area.

I think its a good idea, that there are set times.

Most kennels, will let dogs out at say 6am-7am for exercise, in main yards, whilst its cooler ( australia )
This possibly is a good time, to have a quick glancing visit around the kennels.

Some good kennels, have as previously said, day yards, where you can visit your dog and interact with them. Supervised.

This is generally away from the main kennel area.

But to say ( not you , but in general ) that Good kennels let you see the kennels, which implies bad kennels dont let you see the kennels, is unfounded, and quite biased.

In my Opinion

Ste
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:55 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I have visited all of the kennels my whippet bitch Rema went to in the UK.

The first were in Paignton in Devon, I was shown the kennels, the runs and the exercise areas.

The second were in Berkshire, but I didnt like them - the sawdust on the floor made her paws red raw. They would also mix 20 dogs together in the run, there were frequent fights and my pet insurance at the time said that they would not cover for a dog fight injury from boarding kennels as they didnt recommend mixing the dogs due to cross infection/fight risk.

She went to some other kennels, and again they would allow packs of dogs to run/race/chase each other. Despite me telling them not to let her off the lead as she had a leg injury, they ignored the advice and let her off with other dogs and Rema was badly injured.

They did pay the vet bill though after admitting what they did, I was annoyed as it was an uncalled for injury that need not have happened had they listened to me. A fractured hock and torn ligament is quite serious and has long recovery time and as Rema was nervous agressive, letting her out with 15 or so other dogs was not a good idea - especially when they were warned.

Rema also went to a pet hotel in cambridge as it was the same price as the other place in Hatton.

That went to the other extreme, it was the lap of luxury, seperate runs and individual walks or at the most, walked on the lead with one other dog for company.

My whippet never did well in kennels Im afraid, she dropped loads of weight and would be quite ill. A very highly strung and sensitive bitch and in the end, the only thing left was to board her in my friends house and that worked.

But all of the kennels were happy to show me around - at agreed viewing times.

With electric shock collars, the RCVS don't recommend them at all now - I don't even know if they ever did but there was an article about it a few months ago and I think the general opinion amongst the veterinary profession is not to use them.

Ive not known of any of our clients using them on their dogs, I have never seen one, only what I have read in our journals.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Feb 4th 2008 at 9:57 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I have visited all of the kennels my whippet bitch Rema went to in the UK.

The first were in Paignton in Devon, I was shown the kennels, the runs and the exercise areas.

The second were in Berkshire, but I didnt like them - the sawdust on the floor made her paws red raw. They would also mix 20 dogs together in the run, there were frequent fights and my pet insurance at the time said that they would not cover for a dog fight injury from boarding kennels as they didnt recommend mixing the dogs due to cross infection/fight risk.

She went to some other kennels, and again they would allow packs of dogs to run/race/chase each other. Despite me telling them not to let her off the lead as she had a leg injury, they ignored the advice and let her off with other dogs and Rema was badly injured.

They did pay the vet bill though after admitting what they did, I was annoyed as it was an uncalled for injury that need not have happened had they listened to me. A fractured hock and torn ligament is quite serious and has long recovery time and as Rema was nervous agressive, letting her out with 15 or so other dogs was not a good idea - especially when they were warned.

Rema also went to a pet hotel in cambridge as it was the same price as the other place in Hatton.

That went to the other extreme, it was the lap of luxury, seperate runs and individual walks or at the most, walked on the lead with one other dog for company.

My whippet never did well in kennels Im afraid, she dropped loads of weight and would be quite ill. A very highly strung and sensitive bitch and in the end, the only thing left was to board her in my friends house and that worked.

But all of the kennels were happy to show me around - at agreed viewing times.

With electric shock collars, the RCVS don't recommend them at all now - I don't even know if they ever did but there was an article about it a few months ago and I think the general opinion amongst the veterinary profession is not to use them.

Ive not known of any of our clients using them on their dogs, I have never seen one, only what I have read in our journals.

Hi there

we live just outside Cambridge and are looking for somewhere to take our border terrier while we vist Aus, have you got the name of the place you took your dog to in Cambridge. Would you recommend it? still not sure who to go with.
cheers
Andrea
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:44 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andreak
Hi there

we live just outside Cambridge and are looking for somewhere to take our border terrier while we vist Aus, have you got the name of the place you took your dog to in Cambridge. Would you recommend it? still not sure who to go with.
cheers
Andrea
I would recommend it for sure.

Now I dont think personally that all the perks are necessary but I had it on good authority that my Rema enjoyed the TV in her room

The owner tries to mimic the home routine that many house dogs have such as having the TV on a certain time of the day.

Some owners will for instanct have 'Eastenders' on at half seven and that even small things like a TV/radio will assist a dog in settling.

All dogs have their own rooms with camp beds off the floor and their own individual run.

It is purely snob value that famous people bring their dogs there and the owner has pictures of various famous clients on the wall.

We always left a radio/TV on for Rema as she sometimes got anxious when left on her own (badly treated by previous owners) and it was something that even a canine behavioural consultant couldnt get her out of.

The owner of the kennels asked me about Remas routine and what we normally watched on TV in the evening and he tried his best to mimic that.

When I went to QLD, Rema spent 6 weeks in those kennels and came back incredibly spoilt, although she still lost weight - stress I suppose and greyhounds/whippets can lose weight very quickly. But she was very demanding and it was quite amusing to watch.

When we came to collect her, my little dog howled when she was taken away from the kennel owner, she was literally distraught as she had built up a bond with him and once we got her home, she refused to eat for 3 days.

The kennel owner had to speak to her on the phone, it was hilarious how Rema cocked her head to the side when she heard his voice.

The bond that guy has with the dogs is quite incredible. Many breeds do not respond nor care for such pampering and fair enough.

But for elderly or sensitive breeds of dog then it is a godsend. The guy takes pride in his establishment, he is kind, he loves animals and never takes a day off.

And considering the price of his kennels was the same as the places where I live, I know where I would choose.

Here is the link for you and yes, I would recommend the place without second thought.

http://sitebuilder.yell.com/sb/show....01577621000020
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I would recommend it for sure.

Now I dont think personally that all the perks are necessary but I had it on good authority that my Rema enjoyed the TV in her room

The owner tries to mimic the home routine that many house dogs have such as having the TV on a certain time of the day.

Some owners will for instanct have 'Eastenders' on at half seven and that even small things like a TV/radio will assist a dog in settling.

All dogs have their own rooms with camp beds off the floor and their own individual run.

It is purely snob value that famous people bring their dogs there and the owner has pictures of various famous clients on the wall.

We always left a radio/TV on for Rema as she sometimes got anxious when left on her own (badly treated by previous owners) and it was something that even a canine behavioural consultant couldnt get her out of.

The owner of the kennels asked me about Remas routine and what we normally watched on TV in the evening and he tried his best to mimic that.

When I went to QLD, Rema spent 6 weeks in those kennels and came back incredibly spoilt, although she still lost weight - stress I suppose and greyhounds/whippets can lose weight very quickly. But she was very demanding and it was quite amusing to watch.

When we came to collect her, my little dog howled when she was taken away from the kennel owner, she was literally distraught as she had built up a bond with him and once we got her home, she refused to eat for 3 days.

The kennel owner had to speak to her on the phone, it was hilarious how Rema cocked her head to the side when she heard his voice.

The bond that guy has with the dogs is quite incredible. Many breeds do not respond nor care for such pampering and fair enough.

But for elderly or sensitive breeds of dog then it is a godsend. The guy takes pride in his establishment, he is kind, he loves animals and never takes a day off.

And considering the price of his kennels was the same as the places where I live, I know where I would choose.

Here is the link for you and yes, I would recommend the place without second thought.

http://sitebuilder.yell.com/sb/show....01577621000020
Thanks for this, rang them straight away going round Sunday to have a look, but seems very reasonable, better than the £18 I have been quoted. I might book a stay myself, the tv/radio rooms look lovely.
Cheers
Andrea
x
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glad we sorted that Steve but this is the only kennel I have been to with that attitude. As far as I am concerned, if they don't let me see everywhere they have something to hide. My personal opinion but I am not letting my dogs go and stay somewhere where I am not allowed to see. They don't get my business, end of story. And they don't get recommendations

As for the collars, I thought that they weren't allowed to be used at all in QLD ?

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Soz Mel, I wasnt having a go ! Trust me on that.

Many kennels all over the world, uk, usa, oz, etc etc etc will not allow the public into the kennel area.

It upsets dogs, and can cause fights to break out between dogs as they vie for attention.
Furthermore, not many kennels, allow you in with the dog, when they take him/her thru to the kennels.

I have 7 dogs, and a new person coming in, sets them off big time.

They jump up the fences in the kennel block, and can or could do themselves serious injury.

Why jeopardise someone elses pooch, cos you wanna see where the dog is gonna sleep etc.

However....

I do agree, that it does sound suspect.. what have they got to hise etc, but a busy kennels can have 50-100 animals.. which could cause absolute pandemonium.

Most good boarding kennels, have common areas, fully dog proofed, for you to interact with your dog, or indeed to say goodbye.. rather than dropping them off at the door, and driving off into the sunset !

Dont take my comment to seriously, as I wasnt having a dig...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.