Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast areas

Sunshine Coast areas

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunshine Coast areas

Originally Posted by fish.01
Just as an aside Caroline are you planning on using your NZ citizenship to live in Australia ?
For now until we decide what we want to do, we may not like it and move back.

I will still need to look into the visas etc that I need.

I have been a citizen for a couple years now, and we never got that just to move to Australia, but because we love NZ. I just want to try something different, not sure if it is forever.

To be honest Gary was always worried about the spiders, he is happy living where we are, but with his job right now, in the next year or so it could end up being based in Australia, he does have his licences etc to work there. It just feels like the time is right to make the move.

Last edited by CarolineSwan; Jun 23rd 2015 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Mountain creek is a flat area, most houses were built between 10 and 30 years ago, largish blocks. A good suburb for facilites it contains a large Tafe college, Childcare 1000 kid primary school and 2000kid high school. I was in there every day for years with our kids did some primary there and one did IB at the High school. School classes between 30 and 38 in our time, but the upper streams of the high school do have bigger classes as they maintained they were the better behaved kids Early primary was occasionally only 26 or so. Very handy location but nothing special.

Buderim. There is real Buderim the area around the village and down the mountain and a lot of housing estates that tacked Buderim on their name for the prestige. The areas 15 mins from the beach are actually Forest Glen and Mons or North buderim ( maroochydore really ) but even that is only 10 mins from maroochy alex beach. If you are looking at real buderim it will be very very green, lots of trees or ocean views, large land, quiet, private and if your lucky walk to the village and school area.

More costly than Mt creek, but older houses can be bargains, pockets of Doctors and lawyers acerage around the private schools and some houses in rainforest that you cant even see your neighbours once in the property, like being in the Daintree ( google it for images ) amazing. There are a couple of streets on the side slopes to avoid due to slip, but thats a few houses not the entire area.

Brightwater. It was originally called hideaway waters but was then marketed as Mountain creek or it probably would have been hard to sell. The man made lake like many (lake, waters, fields estates ..... ) is excavated to raise the land, the roads still cut in there in a big way just after it was first developed, but the blocks of course have to meet the 1 in 100 flood levels so should not flood but drainage could be an issue.

All new housing but houses V close together. Usual estate facilites, pub, shops, childcare, kids parks. Very handy location for getting places it has highway on 2 sides. During the construction faze it was called a less flattering name (swampwater ) by the tradies due to the sandflies, a real problem in that entire area New estates are a love/hate thing, some love, some hate.

Kawana and buddina, off the highway to caloundra, new old and waterfront houses. Useful area, everything from trade park retail, to updated shopping centre, beaches beautiful but swim only on patrolled beaches, many people unaware of the severe currents and rips. Walk in the national park there its a beautiful beach/park area.

Mooloolaba, more residents would be young renters, the nightlife area, and very very busy patrolled beach in school hols/summer.

ALexandra headland. Lovely area, can be expensive, loads of competition for rentals or for sale houses. Loads of restaurants, walk to beaches or the largest shops on the coast. New town centre going in at Maroochydore just up the road but I think it will be coast pace, take years in other words.

Airports as you need them, brisbane, about an hour run in good traffic and maroochydore 10 mins at mudjimba which is south of coolum, which is beautiful but a bit out the way for jobs.

Noosa and surrounds, is about 40 north.

The amazing ranges of mapleton and montville, flaxton etc, are about a 40 min drive from the beaches, can be amazingly cheap, acerage land still in the 200's if you really look cooler by a few degrees day and night) lovely but was too far to drive for us with 3 kids.

Sunshine coast is humid from dec to march, jan an feb can be stonkin! but the coast is way cooler than brisbane, I have never not been to brisbane and felt the heat more. Sea breezes if you are within a K or so of the beach or on top of the mountain in buderim which can also be a degree or so cooler in summer.

Weather now is 22ish+ day time and about teens at night. Plenty of people in shorts and singlets out yesterday! summer dresses too, but I was in jeans and a light cotton sweater as after too many aussie summers I find 22 coolish Bring sweater at night for june/july.

Hire a car when you come out, you can see so much in a week that way.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Mountain creek is a flat area, most houses were built between 10 and 30 years ago, largish blocks. A good suburb for facilites it contains a large Tafe college, Childcare 1000 kid primary school and 2000kid high school. I was in there every day for years with our kids did some primary there and one did IB at the High school. School classes between 30 and 38 in our time, but the upper streams of the high school do have bigger classes as they maintained they were the better behaved kids Early primary was occasionally only 26 or so. Very handy location but nothing special.

Buderim. There is real Buderim the area around the village and down the mountain and a lot of housing estates that tacked Buderim on their name for the prestige. The areas 15 mins from the beach are actually Forest Glen and Mons or North buderim ( maroochydore really ) but even that is only 10 mins from maroochy alex beach. If you are looking at real buderim it will be very very green, lots of trees or ocean views, large land, quiet, private and if your lucky walk to the village and school area.

More costly than Mt creek, but older houses can be bargains, pockets of Doctors and lawyers acerage around the private schools and some houses in rainforest that you cant even see your neighbours once in the property, like being in the Daintree ( google it for images ) amazing. There are a couple of streets on the side slopes to avoid due to slip, but thats a few houses not the entire area.

Brightwater. It was originally called hideaway waters but was then marketed as Mountain creek or it probably would have been hard to sell. The man made lake like many (lake, waters, fields estates ..... ) is excavated to raise the land, the roads still cut in there in a big way just after it was first developed, but the blocks of course have to meet the 1 in 100 flood levels so should not flood but drainage could be an issue.

All new housing but houses V close together. Usual estate facilites, pub, shops, childcare, kids parks. Very handy location for getting places it has highway on 2 sides. During the construction faze it was called a less flattering name (swampwater ) by the tradies due to the sandflies, a real problem in that entire area New estates are a love/hate thing, some love, some hate.

Kawana and buddina, off the highway to caloundra, new old and waterfront houses. Useful area, everything from trade park retail, to updated shopping centre, beaches beautiful but swim only on patrolled beaches, many people unaware of the severe currents and rips. Walk in the national park there its a beautiful beach/park area.

Mooloolaba, more residents would be young renters, the nightlife area, and very very busy patrolled beach in school hols/summer.

ALexandra headland. Lovely area, can be expensive, loads of competition for rentals or for sale houses. Loads of restaurants, walk to beaches or the largest shops on the coast. New town centre going in at Maroochydore just up the road but I think it will be coast pace, take years in other words.

Airports as you need them, brisbane, about an hour run in good traffic and maroochydore 10 mins at mudjimba which is south of coolum, which is beautiful but a bit out the way for jobs.

Noosa and surrounds, is about 40 north.

The amazing ranges of mapleton and montville, flaxton etc, are about a 40 min drive from the beaches, can be amazingly cheap, acerage land still in the 200's if you really look cooler by a few degrees day and night) lovely but was too far to drive for us with 3 kids.

Sunshine coast is humid from dec to march, jan an feb can be stonkin! but the coast is way cooler than brisbane, I have never not been to brisbane and felt the heat more. Sea breezes if you are within a K or so of the beach or on top of the mountain in buderim which can also be a degree or so cooler in summer.

Weather now is 22ish+ day time and about teens at night. Plenty of people in shorts and singlets out yesterday! summer dresses too, but I was in jeans and a light cotton sweater as after too many aussie summers I find 22 coolish Bring sweater at night for june/july.

Hire a car when you come out, you can see so much in a week that way.
Thanks so much for all of that, lots of interesting reading for sure.

I was in Brisbane this March and it was awful, drove to the Gold Coast for a week and it was like being in another planet, crazy how the humidity changed.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarolineHancock
Thanks so much for all of that, lots of interesting reading for sure.

I was in Brisbane this March and it was awful, drove to the Gold Coast for a week and it was like being in another planet, crazy how the humidity changed.
Thats fine I was lazing round drinking coffee so just had a typing moment

We built in most of those areas for a decade! so more than happy to pass on our experience of the nitty gritty

Oh and bum! its just started raining! you would need a sweater this morning for sure.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Thats fine I was lazing round drinking coffee so just had a typing moment

We built in most of those areas for a decade! so more than happy to pass on our experience of the nitty gritty

Oh and bum! its just started raining! you would need a sweater this morning for sure.
Will hire a car for sure
Old Jun 24th 2015, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

I am just sitting emailing all the schools to ask if we can visit while we over. (Fingers crossed a few agree)

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about Matthew Flinders college?
Old Jun 27th 2015, 11:01 am
Just Joined

robstar487 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, we have been on the SSC for approx. 8 months, initially we stayed in Alexandra headland with family, but now we are renting in Mooloolaba. We have 2 children ( age 5 and 6) and they both go to Mooloolaba school, which is conveniently 2 minute's walk to the beach afterwards. The school is very welcoming, and encourage parents contribution, and our kids love it...
the follow on school is mountain creek high, and it is easy to get to from area without having to drive, as there is an under pass for kids walk/ cycle to get from mooloolaba to MC...

Unless you husband works in residential/ commercial building or tourism then work is difficult to find here, i'm in mechanical engineering and struggling... so hopefully his work is long term in ME. other thing to consider is income tax for other half, as if resident he will have to pay tax on oversea earnings, which I think you don't in NZ according my wife parents who are both kiwis.

hope the above help, enjoy your time on the coast and bring a jumper, as it a bit cooler in the evenings...
Old Jun 28th 2015, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robstar487
Hi there, we have been on the SSC for approx. 8 months, initially we stayed in Alexandra headland with family, but now we are renting in Mooloolaba. We have 2 children ( age 5 and 6) and they both go to Mooloolaba school, which is conveniently 2 minute's walk to the beach afterwards. The school is very welcoming, and encourage parents contribution, and our kids love it...
the follow on school is mountain creek high, and it is easy to get to from area without having to drive, as there is an under pass for kids walk/ cycle to get from mooloolaba to MC...

Unless you husband works in residential/ commercial building or tourism then work is difficult to find here, i'm in mechanical engineering and struggling... so hopefully his work is long term in ME. other thing to consider is income tax for other half, as if resident he will have to pay tax on oversea earnings, which I think you don't in NZ according my wife parents who are both kiwis.

hope the above help, enjoy your time on the coast and bring a jumper, as it a bit cooler in the evenings...
Thanks for that, I have an interview with Mooloolaba, they were the first to reply and seemed nice (Though it is hard to judge tone sometimes on line)

I also have an interview set up for Buderim.

My husband is lucky as it looks like they want him long term, he is leading a project just now and they already have him down to head one after this one.

Yep tax a killer, he is being taxed in NZ just now too, but it is just what needs to be done.

There is a school right behind the hotel we are staying in when we get there, I think that will be Mooloolaba as it is only minutes from the beach.

How did you find Alexandria Headland? It is an area I wanted to check out too. Also Mooloolaba, do you find it OK with young kids or do you find it too busy? Are you walking distance to school etc?
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:04 am
Just Joined

robstar487 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes the principles Mr Turner and Taylor are nice people, always engaging with the students... You should ask if you could attend school parade on a Wednesday, parents sit at back of hall and listen to what going on, achieved within the school. that's good work wise for husband..

Coco is on first ave, and school directly behind, walking to school is easy as it quite flat with plenty of houses situated in the area, depending on budget... Alex on the other hand is quieter, very hilly closer to shopping mall, but in general more expensive to buy. We couldn't really let our kids out on bikes.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robstar487
Yes the principles Mr Turner and Taylor are nice people, always engaging with the students... You should ask if you could attend school parade on a Wednesday, parents sit at back of hall and listen to what going on, achieved within the school. that's good work wise for husband..

Coco is on first ave, and school directly behind, walking to school is easy as it quite flat with plenty of houses situated in the area, depending on budget... Alex on the other hand is quieter, very hilly closer to shopping mall, but in general more expensive to buy. We couldn't really let our kids out on bikes.
That is awesome, I am very excited about this school just from what I have been told be various people.

Being able to bike about is a must for Lucy, she bikes to school here unless it like now and icy/wet etc.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

For now until we decide what we want to do, we may not like it and move back.

I will still need to look into the visas etc that I need.

I have been a citizen for a couple years now, and we never got that just to move to Australia, but because we love NZ. I just want to try something different, not sure if it is forever.

To be honest Gary was always worried about the spiders, he is happy living where we are, but with his job right now, in the next year or so it could end up being based in Australia, he does have his licences etc to work there. It just feels like the time is right to make the move.
You probably already know, but just in case I thought I would mention that moving over using your NZ citizenship (Special Category Visa) can have some long term downsides as you are treated as a temporary resident forever.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

...I was in Brisbane this March and it was awful, drove to the Gold Coast for a week and it was like being in another planet, crazy how the humidity changed.
Trust me, it was awful for us locals as well last summer...the worst one I can remember. Probably the same on the Gold Coast though, just depends how far from the water you are in either.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

You probably already know, but just in case I thought I would mention that moving over using your NZ citizenship (Special Category Visa) can have some long term downsides as you are treated as a temporary resident forever.
Yes, I have discovered that, bit of a bummer but then right now I chose not to work and do not claim anything as it is our choice (also due to Garys work and not having a family support system here)

So I will do the same there too, though I may try get something in school hours to help me meet people.

If we love it, we will have to look in to getting residence for sure, if not for us but for Lucy long term.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Trust me, it was awful for us locals as well last summer...the worst one I can remember. Probably the same on the Gold Coast though, just depends how far from the water you are in either.
We were in Palm beach so right at the water which helped a lot.
Been watching the Mooloolaba web cams with my daughter, so jealous of all the people on the beach sunbathing, we are freezing here right now lol.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:41 am
Just Joined

ajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Palm beach so right at the water which helped a lot.
Been watching the Mooloolaba web cams with my daughter, so jealous of all the people on the beach sunbathing, we are freezing here right now lol.
Been very nice in Mooloolaba the past week, 24 yesterday, 23 today, saying that I read it is meant to be the coldest temperatures in 39 years at the start of next week in south east Queensland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.