Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast areas

Sunshine Coast areas

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:46 am
Just Joined

ajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunshine Coast areas

Originally Posted by CarolineHancock
Just another thought, we never did a recce when coming to Nz we just chanced it and were lucky enough to love where we are.

We are a bit dubious about doing it this way again as we are sure we will not be that lucky twice.

What do you reccoment seeing/doing on a recce.

I am thinking so far:

schools
housing (We are in no rush to buy, in fact I quite like the idea of renting and not being stuck to a place) (we still own property in the UK that we earn an income from)
General feel (I go a lot with how I feel in a place)
Traffic
Shopping (Though not really important if one town so close to the next)
A good wine shop (not really, yes really LOL)
Dance schools
Swimming pools (For squad teams)
Things to do/parks/walking/biking etc

Anything else?
I would definitely feel out what area you would like to live in. Some good mentions in this thread, mountain creek, buderim are both good choices in my opinion based on the life style you are after. Although buderim depending on which side you are can be a good 15-20 minute drive to the beach and it can be up some pretty steep hills depending on what street you live in.

I would recommend checking out a new housing estate called 'brightwater' in the suburb of mountain creek, it is a 5 minute drive to mooloolaba beach and is a very child friendly place with several new parks, a school, shops and a really good tavern that serves nice food and drink. We are hoping to buy a house there in the coming months. Mountain creek also has a nice out door pool which you could check out.

Check out Sunshine Plaza in maroochydore (next town to mooloolaba) for shopping, it is massive with load shops and a nice river walk way with restaurants etc..

For walks I would check out buderim falls and mount coolum (great view from the top).
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajhanna18
I would definitely feel out what area you would like to live in. Some good mentions in this thread, mountain creek, buderim are both good choices in my opinion based on the life style you are after. Although buderim depending on which side you are can be a good 15-20 minute drive to the beach and it can be up some pretty steep hills depending on what street you live in.

I would recommend checking out a new housing estate called 'brightwater' in the suburb of mountain creek, it is a 5 minute drive to mooloolaba beach and is a very child friendly place with several new parks, a school, shops and a really good tavern that serves nice food and drink. We are hoping to buy a house there in the coming months. Mountain creek also has a nice out door pool which you could check out.

Check out Sunshine Plaza in maroochydore (next town to mooloolaba) for shopping, it is massive with load shops and a nice river walk way with restaurants etc..

For walks I would check out buderim falls and mount coolum (great view from the top).
The more I am hearing about Mountain Creek the more I like the sound of it, 5 minute drive to the beach is nothing, I am about 25 depending on traffic lights right now. i saw a few rentals that looked nice and I think could be in that area you are talking about. I like to look at what is on offer rental wise as it helps get a good feel for the area too.

I need to sit and write a list of everything I need to organise, I am going to get a list of schools and email them to see if we can go in etc.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

If you lived there would you send your kids to Brightwater State school or Mountain Creek?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Buderim really sounds lovely, just the kind of place we are looking for, right now we in a little town of 3000 outside the bigger city and it is perfect. Doesn't have a uni though or many restaurants but a small village feel.

Does it take you long to drive to beach?
From buderim main street you could be on the beach at alex in 7 minutes same for mooloolaba. These are white sand patrolled surf beaches, mooloolaba can be very crowded in school hols.

Traffic on the sunshine coast is really limited to the main streets at peak hour. Parking problem is going one street back from where you want to be.

The only serious traffic is the commute to brisbane mon to friday, it can be awful, like any regional to city commute weekday.

We now live between melbourne mainly but retain secluded acerage on sunshine coast, and a business. After going back to a city of 4 million and its associated problems coming back to the sunshine coast house is like going to some luxury retreat, the teens call our old home the resort now Pity I have to work when I come up.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jad n rich
From buderim main street you could be on the beach at alex in 7 minutes same for mooloolaba. These are white sand patrolled surf beaches, mooloolaba can be very crowded in school hols.

Traffic on the sunshine coast is really limited to the main streets at peak hour. Parking problem is going one street back from where you want to be.

The only serious traffic is the commute to brisbane mon to friday, it can be awful, like any regional to city commute weekday.

We now live between melbourne mainly but retain secluded acerage on sunshine coast, and a business. After going back to a city of 4 million and its associated problems coming back to the sunshine coast house is like going to some luxury retreat, the teens call our old home the resort now Pity I have to work when I come up.
Funny as Melbourne is a city I love, but I just have never felt I could live there, I do love to visit it every year though, I do my own thing while my husband spend the week at the F1 with his mates. I just love how easy it is to get around the CBD and love the shopping.

I think I really just prefer a quieter place, I could not stay in Brisbane and have been caught in rush hour traffic there OMG it was like being in Glasgow again, crazy busy. However it is nice to have it close by for shopping. (not putting it down, just not what I am after right now)

Last edited by CarolineSwan; Jun 23rd 2015 at 5:41 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Parkers has a reputation beyond reputeParkers has a reputation beyond reputeParkers has a reputation beyond reputeParkers has a reputation beyond reputeParkers has a reputation beyond reputeParkers has a reputation beyond reputeParkers has a reputation beyond reputeParkers has a reputation beyond reputeParkers has a reputation beyond reputeParkers has a reputation beyond reputeParkers has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask what the classes hold roughly? my daughters school now is on average of around 30. Will google the school and the place you living now, it sounds lovely. So nice to hear you have settled
Jak's class has 30 kids in it 😊
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Well that is my flights and hotel booked. We arrive on July 10th for 7 nights and we staying at the Coco Mooloolaba.

Can not wait
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:53 am
Just Joined

ajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond reputeajhanna18 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that is my flights and hotel booked. We arrive on July 10th for 7 nights and we staying at the Coco Mooloolaba.

Can not wait

The coco looks nice have walked past it a few times, a nice bar right beside the entrance.

Hopefully the weather is good for you, usually nice clear sunny days in winter but been a bit up and down the past couple of weeks.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

The coco looks nice have walked past it a few times, a nice bar right beside the entrance.

Hopefully the weather is good for you, usually nice clear sunny days in winter but been a bit up and down the past couple of weeks.
Yea I am not sure what to pack to be honest, hate going away at this time of year and needing hot and cold stuff LOL

What have you been wearing? Im assuming no sun dresses?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Yea I am not sure what to pack to be honest, hate going away at this time of year and needing hot and cold stuff LOL

What have you been wearing? Im assuming no sun dresses?
I'm male so definitely no sun dresses I wear shorts and t-shirt every day, the day's are still pleasant temperatures, anywhere from around 19-24 degrees, today for instance was 22 degrees. If you are out earlier on in the morning or after the sun goes down then you will definitely need a jacket, night time temps have getting quite cold down to 8 or 9 degrees.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm male so definitely no sun dresses I wear shorts and t-shirt every day, the day's are still pleasant temperatures, anywhere from around 19-24 degrees, today for instance was 22 degrees. If you are out earlier on in the morning or after the sun goes down then you will definitely need a jacket, night time temps have getting quite cold down to 8 or 9 degrees.

hmmmm yea sundresses may look funny LOL

good to know, dresses and cardis it is then with a pair of jeans flun in just in case
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:18 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I think Buderim reached saturation point some time ago. It's no longer the sleepy suburb of it's previous reputation.

I agree with AJH that Brightwater is certainly worth checking out if you don't want to be in walking distance to the beach. It's a new and expanding development around a man made lake with plenty of cycle and walking tracks and green areas. The small shopping centre has an Aldi and a British fish and chip shop who do Scottish specials and the Italian pizza shop next door is really good to.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bix
I think Buderim reached saturation point some time ago. It's no longer the sleepy suburb of it's previous reputation.

I agree with AJH that Brightwater is certainly worth checking out if you don't want to be in walking distance to the beach. It's a new and expanding development around a man made lake with plenty of cycle and walking tracks and green areas. The small shopping centre has an Aldi and a British fish and chip shop who do Scottish specials and the Italian pizza shop next door is really good to.

Oh I would love a scottish special and will need to check that out

I would really prefer to be closer to a beach, I guess I am going to have to see what area I like best and then decide what will be compromised on.

Really would love to be able to walk to beaches though.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:10 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I would love a scottish special and will need to check that out

I would really prefer to be closer to a beach, I guess I am going to have to see what area I like best and then decide what will be compromised on.

Really would love to be able to walk to beaches though.
It's the Fryer of Whitby. They do a night of Scottish fare e.g. fried Mars bar anyone?

The Buddina / Parrearra area beach side of the highway does offer everything in close vicinity and a lot of it walkable. Forgot to say there are also public tennis courts and a big council library there too. The Kawana Aquatic centre is within 10 minutes drive.

Look up Sportsmans Parade, Bokarina on Google as all sports are being centred there. In fact if the aquatic centre is very high up your list for the daughter then check out the Kawana Waters State College which is right next door. You could then perhaps live beachside in Bokarina / Warana area. Still an excellent location near everything.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Just as an aside Caroline are you planning on using your NZ citizenship to live in Australia ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.