British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   sunshine coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sunshine-coast-520722/)

susanf Mar 11th 2008 2:01 am

sunshine coast

Hi we have just moved to sunshine coast - Maroochydore at the minute in a unit. until we work out the right area for us. There is me and hubby and our 16 year old daughter. Is there anyone else out there who has just arrived or been in our situation ? Does anyone have a 16 year old and how its going for you ?
Sue x

Sunny Devon Mar 11th 2008 2:46 am

Re: sunshine coast

hi
we moved to Caloundra 6 months ago and have 2 children one who is now 16 and have to say that we have all settled in really well. Both children are doing well at school and their out of school clubs.
How have you all settled in? Any real problems? are you looking at moving into another area or just trying to get a rental where you are?

egghead4 Mar 11th 2008 10:14 pm

hi susanf and sunny devon

my name is bec, OH is chris. we are heading to the SC in june, hopefully for good if we manage to sell the house:curse:
I am looking at holiday lets for the moment, but wondered if you knew of any good places to rent short term before we find a long term property. like you, i think we will settle for a unit for the time being - whats the damage on something like this?
thanks for any advice, its really appreciated:thumbsup:
bec

minibelle Mar 11th 2008 10:24 pm

Hi all

We will be with you soon, just started to look myself and info would be great. We will end up in a hostel at this rate :thumbdown:

minibelle

Not long now bec :D

Sunny Devon Mar 12th 2008 3:17 am

Originally Posted by egghead4 (Post 6049965)

my name is bec, OH is chris. we are heading to the SC in june, hopefully for good if we manage to sell the house:curse:
I am looking at holiday lets for the moment, but wondered if you knew of any good places to rent short term before we find a long term property. like you, i think we will settle for a unit for the time being - whats the damage on something like this?
bec

Hi Bec and Chris

You should be able to pick up a fully furnished holiday let and not a hostel once you know exactly when you will be arriving will try and find the names of some in the local paper which comes out on Saturday (send me a PM and i will send you the info when i get it) when we arrived we were going to do this but with a house as we have children and a dog it also coincided with the school 2 week holiday and was going to be $3800 for 4 weeks!! so we went for a rental instead but you should be ok in June as the main holidays seem to be easter (march/april) and summer (christmas/new year!) again more idea on cost when paper comes out or go on to caloundra holiday rental web page. Bet you are really both excited.:thumbsup:

susanf Mar 12th 2008 4:12 am

thanks for getting back to me
Yeh we are looking to settle in caloundra or chancellor park we really cant decide. Which school do your children go to ? I have been lokking at all the schools in the area its a big decision finding the right one. Settled in quite well OH managed to get a job straight away and I start a job next week so things good that way.

Originally Posted by Sunny Devon (Post 6045684)
hi
we moved to Caloundra 6 months ago and have 2 children one who is now 16 and have to say that we have all settled in really well. Both children are doing well at school and their out of school clubs.
How have you all settled in? Any real problems? are you looking at moving into another area or just trying to get a rental where you are?

Sunny Devon Mar 12th 2008 4:36 am

Originally Posted by susanf (Post 6051061)
thanks for getting back to me
Yeh we are looking to settle in caloundra or chancellor park we really cant decide. Which school do your children go to ? I have been lokking at all the schools in the area its a big decision finding the right one. Settled in quite well OH managed to get a job straight away and I start a job next week so things good that way.

Both children go to Kawana State High school as I said previously we looked at all the schools in the area including private - it was a joint decision children and parents,have to say that their school reports were really good and they both are doing as well, again it is personal choice. Go and have a look go back a second time if you are unsure. Does your daughter do any out of school activities? if so just look at where they take place this could also have an impact on where to live. glad to hear that everything else is going well. let me know if i can help anymore.:thumbup:

godfrey family-lets go! Mar 12th 2008 8:46 am

Originally Posted by egghead4 (Post 6049965)

bec

Hi Bec

When we first arrived we booked a furnished holiday unit for 2 weeks, one of which was school holiday here so cost us double!

When it was time to move out we were looking for a suitable house to rent but a unit in the block we were staying in came up so we took it! Even though it is starting to feel a bit small we are so glad we took it, it is in a great location, my husband can walk to work and we have met a few other British families who booked here for a few weeks before moving to long term rentals.

There is plenty of units available for rent as long as it is not school holidays!

All the best!

Sara x

BecciJ Mar 13th 2008 10:09 am

Another one here moving out to SC in June with OH and grateful of any help/advise with rentals!

If there's a few of us in the same area perhaps we should arrange a meet up??

Bec :)

betsyboob Mar 13th 2008 10:22 am

Originally Posted by BecciJ (Post 6056969)
Another one here moving out to SC in June with OH and grateful of any help/advise with rentals!

If there's a few of us in the same area perhaps we should arrange a meet up??

Bec :)

Hi, would you believe....another Bec!:rofl:
We are due to arrive SC in a couple of months, we are starting to really worry now that we are doing the right thing. We have not been before so it's a bit risky and we have two little ones in tow, any advice from anyone would be great.
Thanks Bex

Baby75 Mar 13th 2008 11:31 am

Hi

We are moving to Maroochydore in June, July fingers crossed luckily for us we have a house sorted thanks to very good friends living there already. we are going with 3 kids and one on the way and im really looking forward to it My hubby was there this time last year for a month and loved it lots to see and do for the kids.

I looked on line at house rentals in the Sunshine coast and their seems to be plenty of them and they start from $150 for a small unit up wards probably around the $250 for a house though. another option is the camping sites they are nothing compared to ours my hubby said that our friends family stayed in one when he was over and he couldn't get over it. ill see if i can find the link to the one in sunshine coast they might be a bit cheaper that a holiday let plus way better than a hostel esp with children:thumbsup:

Baby75 Mar 13th 2008 11:46 am

I found some

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/link.asp?fid=609444 right beside Maroochydore river

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/link.asp?fid=606897 seems a little cheaper

just an idea for you all:thumbsup:

laudami Mar 13th 2008 8:21 pm

Hi Were arriving in 3 weeks on 7th April on the sunny Coast and looking also for a hol. accomodaion for 2 weeks whilst we look around Buderim, Sunshine Beach, Noosa & Coolum to settle-either rent or buy???
There are 3 of us incl. Louis who is 11, 12 in May-still dont know what school he will go to yet?
Any advice would be very welcome and im up for meeting other newbies too!:thumbsup:

jad n rich Mar 13th 2008 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Baby75 (Post 6057261)
Hi

We are moving to Maroochydore in June, July fingers crossed luckily for us we have a house sorted thanks to very good friends living there already. we are going with 3 kids and one on the way and im really looking forward to it My hubby was there this time last year for a month and loved it lots to see and do for the kids.

I looked on line at house rentals in the Sunshine coast and their seems to be plenty of them and they start from $150 for a small unit up wards probably around the $250 for a house though. another option is the camping sites they are nothing compared to ours my hubby said that our friends family stayed in one when he was over and he couldn't get over it. ill see if i can find the link to the one in sunshine coast they might be a bit cheaper that a holiday let plus way better than a hostel esp with children:thumbsup:

Please allow a little bit more than that for rent, not sure what you were looking at , but around maroochydore, mt creek, caloundra etc you would be looking more at $450 for a new house, around $350 you might get a older style 3 bedroom house, rental market is pretty tight with lots of people applying for each house, bring sound proof of your financial history and references to help smooth the process.

helena39 Mar 13th 2008 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Devon (Post 6045684)
hi

Hi,

Caloundra is where I have my heart set on. OH is a baker and I would be looking for P/T work as sales assistant in clothes store. What would our chances be of getting decent work? We have 2 kids, 7 & 4. Thanks in advance.

Helena