Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Coast- is 46k a year enough to live on?

Sunshine Coast- is 46k a year enough to live on?

Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Sunshine Coast- is 46k a year enough to live on?

Can anyone tell me if $46k is a fair salary to live on for a family with two teenagers, if I earnt this and my husband did casual (probably low paid work) would we survive? We would not have a mortgage as we will have 450k to buy a house.
Thanks Tara
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sunshine Coast- is 46k a year enough to live on?

Originally Posted by ali south
Can anyone tell me if $46k is a fair salary to live on for a family with two teenagers, if I earnt this and my husband did casual (probably low paid work) would we survive? We would not have a mortgage as we will have 450k to buy a house.
Thanks Tara
Depends what kind of life style you want I suppose. I could quite happily live on the above scenario without a mortgage (with two children).
Rachel
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

rob&kim is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Tara
Living in Noosa on Sunshine Coast which is expensive but so is most of the sunshine coast. However, 46k + a year would do you alright. You might need to watch what you spend for a while with two teenagers, plus they are expensive in themselves (I have one and a nine year old) so I know where your coming from.

As regards to 450k for a house, don't expect something too special, having said that, compared to UK you can get a lot more. Look online for houses in Sunshine Coast www.raywhite.com.au for example. There are a lot more which I can give you details on. Where are you thinking about living? Where are you based in UK?

RobandKim
Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:13 am
Just Joined

batsheva is an unknown quantity at this point

its actually plenty - dont worry too much about it - youll be just fine on that
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by batsheva
thanks everyone
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

hippychic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by batsheva
Hi, I've never posted on here before, I usually post on the New Zealand site.

My partner and our two children would love to emmigrate. A new life, a better life, as we feel that this country, the U.K, is going down the pan.

We set our hearts on N.Z, we've never been, but are planning to go out for a month in October. { nothing booked as of yet }.

We have been looking into New Zealand for 18 months now, we had an interview with the immigration agency last year, the house should have gone on the market in march, but after finding that we would really struggle with one wage of $52,000,{ I wouldn't be able to work straight away as we have pre school daughter }, we decided to visit first, but now I am having serious doubts. Maybe we should come to Australia instead to see if we like it.

My partner is an electrician, would there be work?

Also any ideas of what wage? we don't expect to be rich, we're not moving for that reason, but I would like to be able to afford food, pension and to save some money at the end of each month, trips home if need be etc etc.

If I could get some advise that would be great, I believe skills are needed in Southern Australia, if so any good places to bring up the kids.

Look forward to your replys.

Lesley.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:35 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

You won't starve but won't prosper either.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hippychic
Hi, I've never posted on here before, I usually post on the New Zealand site.

My partner and our two children would love to emmigrate. A new life, a better life, as we feel that this country, the U.K, is going down the pan.

We set our hearts on N.Z, we've never been, but are planning to go out for a month in October. { nothing booked as of yet }.

We have been looking into New Zealand for 18 months now, we had an interview with the immigration agency last year, the house should have gone on the market in march, but after finding that we would really struggle with one wage of $52,000,{ I wouldn't be able to work straight away as we have pre school daughter }, we decided to visit first, but now I am having serious doubts. Maybe we should come to Australia instead to see if we like it.

My partner is an electrician, would there be work?

Also any ideas of what wage? we don't expect to be rich, we're not moving for that reason, but I would like to be able to afford food, pension and to save some money at the end of each month, trips home if need be etc etc.

If I could get some advise that would be great, I believe skills are needed in Southern Australia, if so any good places to bring up the kids.

Look forward to your replys.

Lesley.
I believe, though I was half asleep when I heard it this morning that Amanda Vansotne is going to be looking for around 100,000 tradesmen to fill the huge skills shortage, specifically in SA/WA. This might be of interest to you.

On the cash front - we started in a small rented house in Sydney on about 50k. I have 2 young kids. I can tell you there wasn't much tread to spare. If you raise enough from a house sale to buy somewhere outright (not impossible in SA/WA) then obviously a large chunk of expense is gone.

I'd think of other things though - do you want a holiday each year. One week away in Qld or somewhere like that for 4 people will cost $5000 with flights, spends, food, drink, accom. do you need to return to the UK at all. $10,000 in flights alone. It all adds up.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:15 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Thanks Tara
It's not how much you earn that's important, it's how much you spend! AUD 46k gross is AUD 2.8k per month nett, which is just under GBP 1150 at today's rate. It all depends whether you think you need to run a new car, have two holidays per year, eat out a lot etc etc.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by RichS
I'd think of other things though - do you want a holiday each year. One week away in Qld or somewhere like that for 4 people will cost $5000 with flights, spends, food, drink, accom. do you need to return to the UK at all. $10,000 in flights alone. It all adds up.
Better off living up here then
Seaworld Nara Resort accommodation $150 per night for room suitable for 4 people, this weekend

Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:10 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Thanks Tara
I think it's too low. we own our own home outright , we have no mortgage and there's only two of us - And I can tell you that we spend more than 46K in a year. And no we don't particularly eat out a lot , or really frivolous spending.

sorry, to put a dampner on this but I think it's too low for family of two adults and two teenagers - fair enough if that wage is to support just two people, but four?. you'll be scraping by - it's enough to live on , but you'll be on the breadline.

Is anyone here on this forum living on this amount of money here with a family of four - with two teenages? Perhaps they would be the best to advise you - all I know is that there's only two of us , and we would not be able to live comfortably on that here

It's an average low paid salary, and many people do get by on it - get by are the key words . If your husband's going to be bringing some money in too - fair enough, but 46k before tax to support a family of four I think is too low.

good luck

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 15th 2005 at 6:17 am.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ceri
I think it's too low. we own our own home outright , we have no mortgage and there's only two of us - And I can tell you that we spend more than 46K in a year. And no we don't particularly eat out a lot , or really frivolous spending.

sorry, to put adampner on this but I think it's too low for family of two adults and two teenagers - fair enough if that wage is to support just two people, but four?. you'll be scraping by - it's enough to live on , but you'll be on the breadline.

Is anyone here on this forum living on this amount of money with a family of four - with two teenages?

It's an average low paid salary, and many people do get by on it - get by are the key words . If your husband's going to be bringing some money in too - fair enough, but 46k before tax to support a family of four I think is too low.

good luck
thanks, that salary is for a senior teacher at the university!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:18 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

thanks, that salary is for a senior teacher at the university!
geeze they get paid that low here do they, who'd want to be a teacher eh

good luck

P.s My mum in law used to be a teacher ( retired last year), although I don't know eactly what she earned in the UK, it certainly was a lot more than 18 and half thousand pounds ( which is what 46 thou $ is according to the commonwealth bank calculator - aus to Uk rate). sister in law is a teacher too in the Uk, haven't a clue what she earns, I never ask

If you can't support a family of four on 18,500 in the Uk comfortably you won't here either - if you can there in the UK, fair enough. you're a great "budgeter"

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 15th 2005 at 6:34 am.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ceri
geeze they get paid that low here do they, who'd want to be a teacher eh

good luck

P.s My mum in law used to be a teacher ( retired last year), although I don't know eactly what she earned in the UK, it certainly was a lot more than 18 and half thousand pounds ( which is what 46 thou $ is according to the commonwealth bank calculator - aus to Uk rate). sister in law is a teacher too in the Uk, haven't a clue what she earns, I never ask

If you can't support a family of four on 18,500 in the Uk comfortably you won't here either - if you can there in the UK, fair enough. you're a great "budgeter"
I currently earn double that at least! Plus my husband has a good job!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 7:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

I currently earn double that at least! Plus my husband has a good job!
well what you have been offered here is too low then

I haven't got a clue what most teachers are on here in Aus , but I was surprised by that low pay you've been quoted for a teaching job here.

you've answered your own question - you're taking a half cut in your wages with that job

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.