Wikiposts

sunshine coast

Old Oct 4th 2003, 2:00 am
Just Joined

amanda w is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: schools

Originally posted by tinaj
Thanks for all of the advice.
I have looked up Mountain Creek on the internet and it does sound pretty good. The only thing that concerns me is the size of it over 2000 pupils! Apparently they are split into 4 sub untis which should make it more managable.
Dotty also recommended this school so I will definitely be paying it a visit when it re-opens in Jan.

I am still getting conflicting advice on the years the kids will go into though. Son is in yr 8 now birthday in Sept will he go into year 8, 9 or 10 in January? He is bright and has been in the gifted and talented programme over here. I don't want him to stagnate if the work is too easy, rather move him to a year above.

I have found lots of info on Queensland Ed site but no structure of birthdates and year enteries.

Also youngest is 4 (July birthday) is in Reception here and has spent a year in full time Nursery Prep school. Any ideas if he will be able to start full time in Jan.

Mrs Dagboy, I already knew about the catchment areas so don't

worry.
Hi Tina

Mountain Creek is a large school but because of the different start times full use of the resources can be made.

As to your "little one" I also have a four year old birthday May, in Queensland they don't start full time school until the year they turn 6 so Daisy will be going to pre-school 2.5 days end of Jan 2004 she starts full time end of Jan 2005.

How old is your other child?, from Yorkshire so our year 8 might have different age range, if you can tell me age and birthday will try and help you with years (I know I was confused also with my children!)

Unfortunately haven't been to Caloundra so can't help with schools etc there, but if any of you want any help and advise or to meet when you arrive would be more than happy to help.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Jeztechs has a spectacular aura aboutJeztechs has a spectacular aura aboutJeztechs has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by amanda w
When we visited Buderim for the day we called in at an 'open house viewing' and got talking to the Real Estate Agent, she had moved up from Sydney where all her children had attended private schools. The waiting lists at all the private schools up here were full for her kids years so she sent her children under recommendation to Mountain Creek 'primary' and high, she told us not to waste our money on the private schools and that Mountain Creek was one of the top schools in qld, and oz. Well with 4 kids and one 16yr old who had just got his gcse results and knows what subjects he needs to do in yr 12 to go onto uni etc we thoroughly researched the schools, went to Mountain Creek had meetings with the deputy heads and couldn't be happier. The older 2 have places for all their subject choices and Scott has exemptions in year 12 due to his gcse's (by the way in the uk children went to private and grammar schools) yrs 10,11,12 start at 7.30 - 1pm, yrs 8,9 - 10.30 - 4pm. Kids start school on Monday, very excited so will let you know how they get on.

11 year old going to Buderim school for 1 term, then on to High School, as the house we are renting is not in the catchment area for Mountain Creek Primary, Buderim also an excellent school. Beware catchment areas for the schools here are set in stone. We have just bought a low set house in the catchment areas for both schools (4 yr old will start pre-school end of Jan for 2.5 days and full time 2005) she is at "Aussie Kids" Nursery in Mountain Creek for 3 days a week at the moment, loved it from day one.

Asked the kids today if they had "any regrets" or ever felt like they wished they were still in the UK - a resounding NO!!!!
Hi,

We live in the Mountain Creek School catchment area, but there are many we met who rented outside the area. All they done was to give a fake address (no questions asked) and eventually bought property within the area.

Jerry
Old Oct 4th 2003, 10:47 am
Just Joined

amanda w is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jeztechs
Hi,

We live in the Mountain Creek School catchment area, but there are many we met who rented outside the area. All they done was to give a fake address (no questions asked) and eventually bought property within the area.

Jerry
Hi,

I don't know if the situation has changed due to the popularity of the school, but before our children were considered for places at both the primary and high school at Mountain Creek we were required to provide documented evidence of our address. As we were living outside the zone for the primary school no flexibility was shown regarding a place for our daughter and she is having to complete one term at Buderim school before taking a place at Mountain Creek High School, as the boundary of the zones are different for both schools.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Jeztechs has a spectacular aura aboutJeztechs has a spectacular aura aboutJeztechs has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by amanda w
Hi,

I don't know if the situation has changed due to the popularity of the school, but before our children were considered for places at both the primary and high school at Mountain Creek we were required to provide documented evidence of our address. As we were living outside the zone for the primary school no flexibility was shown regarding a place for our daughter and she is having to complete one term at Buderim school before taking a place at Mountain Creek High School, as the boundary of the zones are different for both schools.
Hi Amanda,

Yep I think you are right, just done a little cheaking and things seemed to have changed a little.

Regards
Jerry
Old Oct 4th 2003, 10:17 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

For the kids starting school - They have to turn 5 by 1st Jan to start school that year (school year starts end of Jan).

Our boys birthday is 2nd Feb, 1998, turned 5 in Feb this year - they are doing preschool this year, turn 6 in Feb next year - start year 1 next year. So as amanda said they turn 6 in year 1. From that you should be able to work out what grade/year they will go into.

Hope I havent made it even more confusing LOL.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 11:19 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
For the kids starting school - They have to turn 5 by 1st Jan to start school that year (school year starts end of Jan).

Our boys birthday is 2nd Feb, 1998, turned 5 in Feb this year - they are doing preschool this year, turn 6 in Feb next year - start year 1 next year. So as amanda said they turn 6 in year 1. From that you should be able to work out what grade/year they will go into.

Hope I havent made it even more confusing LOL.
Mrs DB,

Is this correct?

My daughter is 5 in November 2005, so she will start Pre-school in the january 2006. Will this be full school days, the same as the reception year in the UK?
Old Oct 5th 2003, 12:14 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cinderella
Mrs DB,

Is this correct?

My daughter is 5 in November 2005, so she will start Pre-school in the january 2006. Will this be full school days, the same as the reception year in the UK?
Cinderella no, she will start school - year 1 - in Jan 2006. She will be able to go to preschool Jan 2005. I think my post is too confusing . They will turn 6 in year 1. So her b/day is Nov, she turns 5 in 2005, so she starts year 1 in 2006.

As for the question about prechool, yes most schools do a full school day ie 9am-3pm or close to it, ours finishes at 2.45 to allow parents to get up to the school to pick up other kids in time. But they usually do a 5 day fortnight eg Mon, Tues, Wed one week & Mon, Tuesday the next week.

Some schools are different but most do the above format.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Oct 5th 2003 at 12:17 am.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 3:59 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Cinderella no, she will start school - year 1 - in Jan 2006. She will be able to go to preschool Jan 2005. I think my post is too confusing . They will turn 6 in year 1. So her b/day is Nov, she turns 5 in 2005, so she starts year 1 in 2006.

As for the question about prechool, yes most schools do a full school day ie 9am-3pm or close to it, ours finishes at 2.45 to allow parents to get up to the school to pick up other kids in time. But they usually do a 5 day fortnight eg Mon, Tues, Wed one week & Mon, Tuesday the next week.

Some schools are different but most do the above format.
So effectively she will start school a full year later than she would if we stayed in England.