Sunshine Coast

Old Mar 12th 2003, 11:50 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sunshine Coast

For those considering the Sunshine Coast (north of Brisbane).
Old Mar 12th 2003, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Yes
Old Mar 12th 2003, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

lenaro_w is an unknown quantity at this point

As soon as house is sold we will be there.
Old Mar 12th 2003, 11:59 am
will be there soon!!!!!

debs&tim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sunshine coast

Originally posted by Carrianne
Yes
Hi
We are thinking about the sunshine coast. Went there last xmas and fell in love with the place.
Is that where you intend going?
Debs
Old Mar 12th 2003, 12:09 pm
will be there soon!!!!!

Default sunshine coast

Originally posted by Florida_03
Born and bred Aussie happy to give whatever info I can on areas North of Brisbane up to the Sunshine Coast.

Depending on what field of work you're in you may wish to consider the Northern areas of Brisbane. The sunshine coast has had a rally on housing prices and the opportunities for work are limited.

Consider this, I live in a regional town called Caboolture. 30 mins to the SC, 45 mins to Brisbane, 90 mins to the Gold Coast and 25 mins to Bribie Island. Also on the electric train to Brisbane. I work at Brisbane Airport and leave at 7:08 am to get to work at 8:30 am, that is door to desk. Weekly tickets to the city from Caboolture are A$38.

What would you like to know?
Hi
Sorry didn't realise you lived there!!
Hubbie is a self employed chippy and was wondering about work and pay (of course). Earns good money in UK.
Any advise on this matter would be useful.
Cheers
Debs
Old Mar 12th 2003, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Born and bred Aussie happy to give whatever info I can on areas North of Brisbane up to the Sunshine Coast.

Depending on what field of work you're in you may wish to consider the Northern areas of Brisbane. The sunshine coast has had a rally on housing prices and the opportunities for work are limited.

Consider this, I live in a regional town called Caboolture. 30 mins to the SC, 45 mins to Brisbane, 90 mins to the Gold Coast and 25 mins to Bribie Island. Also on the electric train to Brisbane. I work at Brisbane Airport and leave at 7:08 am to get to work at 8:30 am, that is door to desk. Weekly tickets to the city from Caboolture are A$38.

What would you like to know?
Hi

What do you do at the airport? My husband is an aircraft maintenance engineer so would be interested to hear about the job situation there.

Thanks
Nicola
Old Mar 12th 2003, 12:15 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

we are thinking about the sunshine coast but are not sure if there will be any work there for my husband as he is a carpet and vinyl fitter.

Can anyone tell me if houses in QLD tend to have carpets or laminate flooring (which he does not fit)?

cheers

Mel
Old Mar 12th 2003, 12:30 pm
will be there soon!!!!!

Default Re: sunshine coast

Chippy...there is plenty of buiding work on the whole northern corridor from Strathpine to Noosa. The industry is being de-unionised at the moment. The main players are what we call the spec-builders (on speculation of a sale after building a house without a buyer).

These are companies that standardise on their home plans, and get their economies from the common elements of their houses. Trying to go out on your own at first would be hard. Suggest getting a feel for the market from the spec'ies. Have a search on the web they are always looking for framers. Gardner's, AV Jennings, Dixons, DJ Builders, etc...Pay from these these guys is meager (A$40-60k).
Hi
Thanks for that.
Was hoping wages would be higher though.
Do you really think it would be hard to go it alone?
Don't mind working for someone to start with.
I'll look up on the web at the builders.
Cheers
Tim
Old Mar 12th 2003, 12:30 pm
Not here

Originally posted by Nicstids
Hi

What do you do at the airport? My husband is an aircraft maintenance engineer so would be interested to hear about the job situation there.

Thanks
Nicola
The Queensland Government is aggressively marketing Brisbane as an aerospace centre of excellence. It is not quite there yet but their heart is in the right place. One of the new players is recruiting aggressively.

http://www.aviationaustralia.net.au/home/default.asp

Amberly (south-west Brisbane, long way from any beach) is the major Air Force base. Plenty of LAME jobs with the likes of Boeing etc there.

The main QANTAS jet-base is in Sydney. They have threatened their staff as a union bashing move to go to Brisbane but that has never happened. Virgin Blue are certainly growing their maintenance arm but again they are major union bashers and have started using their pilots to do pre and post flight inspections.

Their are plenty of small operators at the regionals have a look at Moroochydore and Coloundra Airfields.
Old Mar 12th 2003, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

The Queensland Government is aggressively marketing Brisbane as an aerospace centre of excellence. It is not quite there yet but their heart is in the right place. One of the new players is recruiting aggressively.

http://www.aviationaustralia.net.au/home/default.asp

Amberly (south-west Brisbane, long way from any beach) is the major Air Force base. Plenty of LAME jobs with the likes of Boeing etc there.

The main QANTAS jet-base is in Sydney. They have threatened their staff as a union bashing move to go to Brisbane but that has never happened. Virgin Blue are certainly growing their maintenance arm but again they are major union bashers and have started using their pilots to do pre and post flight inspections.

Their are plenty of small operators at the regionals have a look at Moroochydore and Coloundra Airfields.

Thanks very much for that.
Old Mar 12th 2003, 12:38 pm
Not here

Originally posted by mika24me
Hi

we are thinking about the sunshine coast but are not sure if there will be any work there for my husband as he is a carpet and vinyl fitter.

Can anyone tell me if houses in QLD tend to have carpets or laminate flooring (which he does not fit)?

cheers

Mel
Most houses in this area have a mix of carpet and ceramic tiles. The average house would have 3-4 beds (all carpeted), ensuite (tiled), bath (tiled), combined lounge-dining (carpeted), combined family-meals (tiled). Vinyl and laminate is not popular.

Most florring stores have contarctors do the laying work. For main players have a search on

www.yellowpages.com.au

Business: carpet, tiles
Old Mar 12th 2003, 12:42 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

That is a relief, thanks

we were worried that where we settled would be limited as someone told me that most places in Australia do not have carpets due to the heat. I shall ignore that particular source in future!

cheers

Mel

Most houses in this area have a mix of carpet and ceramic tiles. The average house would have 3-4 beds (all carpeted), ensuite (tiled), bath (tiled), combined lounge-dining (carpeted), combined family-meals (tiled). Vinyl and laminate is not popular.

Most florring stores have contarctors do the laying work. For main players have a search on

www.yellowpages.com.au

Business: carpet, tiles
Old Mar 12th 2003, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Do you know Caloundra at all and can you give me any good places to live there, hubby is a chippy I am a Business Analyst.

I don't think there will be th industry on the Sunshine coast for my kind of work but I am hoping ?

I have checked out and e mailed most of the builders you mentioned and do know a guy in Noosa also. But it's a bit too sun for us.

If the de unionise the industry does that deplete the minimum award for Carpenters ?

Where would the best place for me on the Sunshine Coast to look for work ?

Thanks in advance

Carrianne
Old Mar 12th 2003, 1:01 pm
Not here

Originally posted by Carrianne
Do you know Caloundra at all and can you give me any good places to live there, hubby is a chippy I am a Business Analyst.

I don't think there will be th industry on the Sunshine coast for my kind of work but I am hoping ?

I have checked out and e mailed most of the builders you mentioned and do know a guy in Noosa also. But it's a bit too sun for us.

If the de unionise the industry does that deplete the minimum award for Carpenters ?

Where would the best place for me on the Sunshine Coast to look for work ?

Thanks in advance

Carrianne
Sorry Carrianne I'm not sure what a business analyst does.

I would say however that Brisbane is the Buisness and Financial centre. The Sunshine Coast has a lot of service industries, but that does not preclude a lot of the business support, accountants (arghhh...sorry) etc...there's always plenty of accountants, lawyers...

Don't preclude living in Brisbane or the Northern areas, the SC is just a short drive away and is a great diversion from everyday work.

I lived on Bribie Island for many years, what a great place...

Keep looking at the map and visit all these places you can't go wrong...oh yeah other than Perth.

As for companies trying to push wages down...you bet...but we fight on.
Old Mar 12th 2003, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Florida 3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.