Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunday trading in Perth

Sunday trading in Perth

Old May 14th 2007, 12:37 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Sunday trading in Perth

I read the other thread and would like to know how many of the people whinging about lack of shopping on sundays actually have said to their families back in the UK that they are doing the move for the kids or the slower life style?
What the hell!

I have a shop here and if my shopping centre ever said it was going to open on Sundays mine would be one of the first shops to be up for sale, I came here for the slower pace of life, more time with my family and yet people still want more, why on earth did some of you people come here for?

Sunday trading should stay out of WA, thats what is so different about this state, we do have more family life, Sundays are not meant to be about dragging the kids round ASDA and then dreaming of a better life elsewhere then arriving in your new eutopia and trying to make it the same bland uninteresting place that you just left. Australia is a beautiful interesting place, and yes some places are backward but isnt that just what Aus is supposed to be all about?

Jenny
Old May 14th 2007, 1:13 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunday trading in Perth

Totally agree
Even if my one day off was on a Sunday, I would not want to spend the day shopping, when I could be out for the day with my family. I would do my shopping in my lunch hour, after work or on a Thursday night if I had to.
Old May 14th 2007, 1:15 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jensteve

Sunday trading should stay out of WA, thats what is so different about this state, we do have more family life, Sundays are not meant to be about dragging the kids round ASDA and then dreaming of a better life elsewhere then arriving in your new eutopia and trying to make it the same bland uninteresting place that you just left.
Jenny
I agree..... I Do not miss Sunday trading one bit.

Coming from an area with one of the biggest Tesco stores in the UK (some of the staff were on roller skates) you just have to get organised over here. Supa IGA are open until 6.00pm on Saturday so you can 'pop' out for any last minute things and after that it's just great to go to the beach or out for the day on a Sunday and not feel you have to be doing something other than relaxing!
Old May 14th 2007, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

I agree we came out here for a better life not what we left behind.6 Days to shop which is plenty for anybody plus IGA and the City open which is plenty.
Keep the shops shut and do more outside things with your kids.
Old May 14th 2007, 1:40 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
I agree..... I Do not miss Sunday trading one bit.

Coming from an area with one of the biggest Tesco stores in the UK (some of the staff were on roller skates) you just have to get organised over here. Supa IGA are open until 6.00pm on Saturday so you can 'pop' out for any last minute things and after that it's just great to go to the beach or out for the day on a Sunday and not feel you have to be doing something other than relaxing!
Oh the joys of Hampton
Old May 14th 2007, 6:04 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
Oh the joys of Hampton
you cant shop on a Sunday in Perth, I never new that.

Thanks, that means more time for diving.

oh, and more family time too
Old May 14th 2007, 6:23 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

sundays are for chilling man.

whats the rush?

lifes for livin not shoppin...

kids grow up so fast before you know it there gone,,,

barbies on the beach are for me and mine thats one of the main reasons where going...

i am confused again !!!how come people moan there are no shops ,so if there are no shops,which ones open on sunday...

and is there no religion left in the world...
Old May 14th 2007, 8:11 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

It’s not that everyone is eager to spend their Sundays in shops, but Sunday shopping does make life easier and gives you more options of when you can/are able to shop.

Working Monday to Friday, Saturday’s become a real race for everyone to get all their shopping done if the shops aren’t open on the Sunday. Roads are busier, queues are longer, and you end up spending more time getting your shopping done.

Sunday shopping spreads the load and gives you more time to chill.
Old May 14th 2007, 10:26 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Sunday trading in Perth

Great comments, guys.

Just a quick point for the "Why doesn't Perth have Sunday shopping, it's 20 years behind the UK etc. etc." mob here...

It's got nothing to do with being 20 years behind the UK, and everything to do with consumer preference.

The WA state government allows smaller businesses (Farmer Jack's, etc.) to open on Sunday, but prohibits larger businesses (Coles, Harvey Norman, etc.) from opening, since they already have a huge market advantage. IMHO, anything which benefits small businesses without detriment to the average punter is a good thing. (And anyone who can't live without Sunday shopping needs to examine their priorities ).

How did this policy arise? The people of Perth voted for it:

In Western Australia, voters were asked in a referendum held in February 2005: "Do you believe that the Western Australian community would benefit if trading hours in the Perth Metropolitan Area were extended to allow general retail shops to trade for 6 hours on Sunday?" This proposal was rejected by 59.56 per cent to 37.46 per cent.
Wikipedia.

So please remember: shopping hours are restricted because that's how they like it!

Old May 14th 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jensteve
I read the other thread and would like to know how many of the people whinging about lack of shopping on sundays actually have said to their families back in the UK that they are doing the move for the kids or the slower life style?
What the hell!

I have a shop here and if my shopping centre ever said it was going to open on Sundays mine would be one of the first shops to be up for sale, I came here for the slower pace of life, more time with my family and yet people still want more, why on earth did some of you people come here for?

Sunday trading should stay out of WA, thats what is so different about this state, we do have more family life, Sundays are not meant to be about dragging the kids round ASDA and then dreaming of a better life elsewhere then arriving in your new eutopia and trying to make it the same bland uninteresting place that you just left. Australia is a beautiful interesting place, and yes some places are backward but isnt that just what Aus is supposed to be all about?

Jenny
No, we don't need shopping in general on Sunday in WA. However, I wouldn't like the idea if Bunnings did close it doors on Sundays.

For me the big difference to other states is that we don't have pokies on every corner and I hope it will never happen in this state.

If shops are open or not doesn't bother me, it is up to the individual what they want to do on a Sunday. It's the same with smoking, cigarettes are available to all of us, some smoke, some don't.

Vash made a valid point and somebody else who has a small business. They would not be able to survive and choices would be even less in WA. It is not about if we can go shopping, it is about the small business community. We are allready controlled by the big ones, so don't give them even more power.
Old May 14th 2007, 11:06 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I would prefer if the shops never opened, the wife on the other hand would prefer they didnt close.
Old May 14th 2007, 11:07 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shade8
I agree we came out here for a better life not what we left behind.6 Days to shop which is plenty for anybody plus IGA and the City open which is plenty.
Keep the shops shut and do more outside things with your kids.
Not in Perth yet, but already looking forward to the shops being shut on Sunday

Gina
Old May 14th 2007, 11:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I would prefer it if we had Sunday trading in Perth but it's not the end of the world that we don't. Businesses should be allowed to trade when they like. If they don't want to trade then that's their issue but people should have a choice. Government should keep their involvment to a minimum. Rather than Sunday trading I would like to see shops opening later in the week. One day of closing at 9pm is not enough. Shops closing at 5-6pm is ridiculous if you work. Closing at 7-8pm would be better.

Last edited by Amazulu; May 14th 2007 at 11:38 pm.
Old May 14th 2007, 11:25 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

If you feel that you must shop on a Sunday in Perth the city centre is open as is a couple of the larger Malls (Garden City) and Harbour Town. Also most burbs have a small selection of local shops which can incl a bakery and IGA or simaular which are also open til at least 7pm on a Sunday.

At the end of the day I can think of a hundred and one other thing I would rather be doing than walking round the shops on a Sunday
Old May 14th 2007, 11:53 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Our local IGA in Ellenbrook is open until 8 (and sometimes 9) pm every day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.