Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunday papers OZ style very different to the UK

Sunday papers OZ style very different to the UK

Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunday papers OZ style very different to the UK

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Interesting reaction, 345 views overnight (UK time) only comments are from those who live in OZ or have lived here.

Last week there were 6 threads starting I am leaving the UK because (insert crime/nuisance behaviour). I thought people would have been really interested to know what we read here
I had similar thoughts but did not reply as my views seem to upset a few people

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

G
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:20 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Probably the amount of under 20's that are killed cant remember 4 memorials to teenage youth within a walking distance to anywhere we lived in the UK. Thats just memorials theres been more than that we have a kid who did 2 years high school here hes been to 3 funerals. And its the same in other states.
Maybe this depends on where one came from and where one has gone.

I have not seen as many memorials here as I saw in the UK (over an equivalent time frame). I have also noticed that the memorials here seem to remain longer. (This again may be dependent upon the locality.) Southwark council only allowed the memorials to last a couple of weeks.

My personal experience is that there were a lot more joy-riders in the UK than there are hoons in Aus. As other people in Aus seem to have a problem with hoons, I am prepared to accept that hoonism and joy-riding are comparable problems in both countries.

A
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really comment on the situation in Oz but we did experience a so-called Hoon whilst over there last year but at that point didnt realise that it was common although it was quite shocking.

I can comment on this country though, well my area at least. There are plenty of joy-riders around here, well not in my area as such but just down the road where I used to live. As for kids with cars there are a fair few around here who have not long since left school but are now parading around in their (much better than mine) cars.

There has been a fair amount of kids killed in cars too. A few years ago 3 young girls were walking up the street together when a car (ridden by a joy-rider) ploughed into them on the pavement. 2 were killed and one lost both of her legs. They were only young, around 10 if I remember rightly. Admittedly it was some time ago and I'm not saying that it is worse here but just highlighting the fact that it is as bad.

I agree totally with what you are saying though re same crime etc. over there. I think it would be very unrealistic for anybody to think otherwise.

I also agree with people who say that it depends on the area you live in, with cases of joy-riding etc.

Drugs however is a different matter. You are as likely to find drugs in schools from the higher income bracket areas as from those who are less well off. This is becoming a huge problem in all areas the world over. As is violence.
I dont really want to get into any arguments as to which is the best because I think both countries will have the same problems.
I just find it really sad the way the world is becoming so unsafe for our kids
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a bit of news that may relate to the above:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...3-1243,00.html

G
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Here's a bit of news that may relate to the above:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...3-1243,00.html

G
There are some right tossers in this world .

The lad who ploughed into the 3 girls ran off too. He was caught soon after though. Can't remember how long he got but I know he was walking round town not much more than a year later. I saw him going into the same pub where the 2 girls who dieds mum was. Can't imagine how that must have felt for her
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Its good hoons and the resulting fatalities was discussed, but the links didnt actually mention that subject.

Articles were drinking binges by aussie women/teens.

Gangs in shopping Malls.

Teacher stabbed.

Homeless youth and junkies.

The reason I chose them was the amount of times the above problems have been mentioned in the UK and the number 'escaping' them and the amount of arguments that happen if someone dares mention it happens here too, I suppose backing it up with links and pictures leaves little doubt that it really happens in Aus as well. Interesting response anyway.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Its good hoons and the resulting fatalities was discussed, but the links didnt actually mention that subject.

Gangs in shopping Malls.

Teacher stabbed.

The reason I chose them was the amount of times the above problems have been mentioned in the UK and the number 'escaping' them and the amount of arguments that happen if someone dares mention it happens here too, I suppose backing it up with links and pictures leaves little doubt that it really happens in Aus as well. Interesting response anyway.
Yes, I know. Sorry got a bit side-tracked there.

I think you are right in highlighting it as it makes others aware of whats going on.

I sometimes think that on some threads which start off light-hearted are turned into witch hunts by people wanting to ram the point down peoples throats. Maybe this thread keeps it seperate

Tracey
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

It causes its own problems tho, within one klm of us in the last month 2 more teens have gone the way of so many, car fatality due to speeding Theres a petition going round by the neighbours (all aussies) to send to police and council about the hooning on weekends, police are out there on main roads booking people for 3klm over yet kids with a licence for a few weeks :scared: are going up and down residential streets at what some is 70 klm over the speed limit.
It's a lot easier to rai$e revenue when you can catch lots of people exceeding by a little rather than chasing the single doing excessive speed.

It's no excuse for the behaviour though.

It's not just a local problem. There is video footage from the Middle East of a range of vehicles in broad daylight on public roads doing REALLY dangerous stuff ie sliding, 4WD's balanced on 2 wheels. Now that is really scary considering the crowds.

The young bloke ascross the road has just bought a flash hotted up Lancer with all the go fast stuff. It doesnt go anywhere as fast as his mother's old beat up Camira did! LOL

WW
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 10:51 pm

Gangs in shopping Malls.

Teacher stabbed.

Sorry, but you mentioned hoons in post 3 of this thread.

As your initial post seemed to be getting at people who dis the UK because of crime (when in fact crime is comparable in both countries) I was highlighting, that surely dissing Aus for hoons (as if this sort of thing does not happen in the UK) is no better for providing balance.

A

Last edited by kirsty&al; Oct 23rd 2005 at 11:30 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Sorry, but you mentioned hoons in post 3 of this thread.

As your initial post seemed to be getting at people who dis the UK because of crime (when in fact crime is comparable in both countries) I was highlighting, that surely dissing Aus for hoons (as if this sort of thing does not happen in the UK) is no better for providing balance.

A

I think the real problem here is not that we have or havent discussed hoons, its that you dont like the thread, as indicated in your 'getting at' comment.

Its not getting at anyone its a thread in response to the numerous Escape the UK threads that reguarly appear on the OZ forum. You talk about providing balance, well I just did
Old Oct 24th 2005, 2:41 am

I think the real problem here is not that we have or havent discussed hoons, its that you dont like the thread, as indicated in your 'getting at' comment.

Its not getting at anyone its a thread in response to the numerous Escape the UK threads that reguarly appear on the OZ forum. You talk about providing balance, well I just did
Nope. I've got no beef with the thread.

A
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:42 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience of the NSW Central Coast is of crime, drugs and social problems, many come on here and sing the praises of this area saying how wonderful it is.

Neither of us are wrong, it is just what you have been exposed to but the fact remains both countries have huge problems to deal with.

MMum
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:09 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Teen gangs in gold coast malls
http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au...001187,00.html

Teacher stabbed

The front cover, picture of teenage girls on a drunken bender
http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/#

and http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au...55E902,00.html

Homeless youth to be placed with addicts

So are we packing up and emigrating, calling australia a dump, cursing the place and its people, saying its gone downhill, or tarring all aussie kids with the same brush?

NO, and I think people in the UK should do the same instead of keep posting how crap UK is realise it happens anywhere, and it should not stop you living your life. Yesterday we went to brisbane, no probs, today we did the usual, surfing and shopping, no probs, because like the UK these problems are the minority, most people like most in the UK are decent folk and so are their kids.

So next time someone writes same shit different bucket at least you can understand why. And if your emigrating to escape shite you might just have to go a bit further than OZ
Well said, and it did need to be said. But people are right it is not so bad here as they are called hoons which doesn't sound so bad as yobs.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:12 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the amount of under 20's that are killed cant remember 4 memorials to teenage youth within a walking distance to anywhere we lived in the UK. Thats just memorials theres been more than that we have a kid who did 2 years high school here hes been to 3 funerals. And its the same in other states.
Theres at least 5 memorials to kids killed in cars on the roads within about 10k of me too. The all drive huge overly powerfull cars and can actually afford to insure them, which is where I think the UK wins hands down. When I was 17 all I could afford to insure was a 1.1 peugot powered by what seemed like a lacky band.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:21 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
My experience of the NSW Central Coast is of crime, drugs and social problems, many come on here and sing the praises of this area saying how wonderful it is.

Neither of us are wrong, it is just what you have been exposed to but the fact remains both countries have huge problems to deal with.

MMum
When we first came to this part of NSW mid north coast I said to a local that I can't believe drugs arn't a massive problem here, as everyone could grow it in their gardens! (the climate seems perfect for it). His response was:- And you think they don't grow any? There is almost no mention of drugs as a problem here until you go and dig up the crime stats and see that its a massive problem. Somehow the media just don't mention most of the crimes that go on and only ever sing the praises of the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.