Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunbury , Vic...any good?

Sunbury , Vic...any good?

Old Oct 7th 2006, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

mutang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sunbury , Vic...any good?

Hi all , i have been offered a job at Melbourne airport and me and my family are looking at nearby suburbs to live. We want to avoid the city completely and live nearer in the 'country' , looking at google earth we found Sunbury which doesn't look too far from MEL but is far enough away from the city and from aircraft noise.
We also looked at Gisbourne and melton but was told Sunbury was the place to be. Does anyone live there or nearby with some good advice?
General info needed , schools any good? Shopping , crime rate....etc
Thanks...

J
Old Oct 7th 2006, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunbury , Vic...any good?

Originally Posted by mutang
Hi all , i have been offered a job at Melbourne airport and me and my family are looking at nearby suburbs to live. We want to avoid the city completely and live nearer in the 'country' , looking at google earth we found Sunbury which doesn't look too far from MEL but is far enough away from the city and from aircraft noise.
We also looked at Gisbourne and melton but was told Sunbury was the place to be. Does anyone live there or nearby with some good advice?
Thanks...

J
I like Gisbourne.....but I cant remember why? Sunbury is filled with people who work at the airport. I've not lived in Melb for years. Melton really took off with new property about 15 years ago. All of these places are commuter towns.

Sorry, no help at all really.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Sunbury is a good option for country near the city - only really just taken off.

You can get some bargains I believe - my old boss bought 50 acres up there and built.

He stood on his new block and said to his girlfriend:

"Just listen to the quiet"

Suddenly a 747 came in over head!!!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Ann-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really nice

Hi
Myself, my husband and three teenagers, have lived in sunbury for the last year and we love it here. Hubby also works at the airport, only takes 20mins to get there. Like you say its not far from melbourne and lots of countryside around us. The properties here are very reasonably priced.
Hope this has been a help to you.

Ann-marie
Old Oct 12th 2006, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

AmandaJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks...

J
Hi

I also live in Sunbury, have been here for over 18 months now. Just coming up to 1 year in our own house and we are loving it - I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. House prices are very reasonable compare to inner city suburbs and you can get a lot more for your money.

We've made lots of friends here and rarely have a weekend where there isn't some kind of social activity going on. The kids love it, I have 2 girls aged 13 and 14. School is great, there are 3 secondary schools in Sunbury, 2 public and 1 private (Catholic) - My girls go to the private school but it is very reasonably priced. There are also good private schools in other close by suburbs with transport from Sunbury. For younger kids, there are some very good primary schools in Sunbury. Also plenty of sporting activities - my girls are in the local swimming club and little athletics club. There a plenty of other sporting clubs with lots of competitions and local fixtures, etc.

Sunbury is still close enough to the city for work, shopping etc, 35 minutes by train (about the same by car), but far enough away to have peace and quiet. Only 15 minutes from the airport, but no issues with flightpath noise. We see the odd plane going over, but don't hear anything.

You can get to the beaches around the bay in about 30-40 minutes, Torquay is only 1 1/4 hours (surf beach), Victorian Alps about 3 hours for skiing in the winter - something for everyone.

Hope this helps, let me know if you decide on Sunbury and if you need any more info just send me a PM or e-mail.

When are you planning to travel - we could meet up when you arrive and I'd be happy to help out with anything you need.

Good Luck
AJ
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

mutang is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi AmanadaJ (and other posters) , thanks for all your replys they have very helpful !
Sunbury certainly sounds like to place we wanted it to be.
We should be arriving soon and i would appreciate it if i could contact a few people for a 'sunbury' meet?
We'll be renting to begin with before deciding to settle down in Sunbury , apart from looking at realestate.com.au does anyone know of any local sites to look at for rental properties?

J
Old Oct 12th 2006, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

AmandaJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi AmanadaJ (and other posters) , thanks for all your replys they have very helpful !
Sunbury certainly sounds like to place we wanted it to be.
We should be arriving soon and i would appreciate it if i could contact a few people for a 'sunbury' meet?
We'll be renting to begin with before deciding to settle down in Sunbury , apart from looking at realestate.com.au does anyone know of any local sites to look at for rental properties?

J
Hi

realestate.com.au is the best site for all kinds of property. All real estate agents use this site.

Once you arrive, you'll need to contact all the local agents in the area that you want to rent. Good family houses usually get snapped up pretty quickly, also most agents state that you need to sign a minimum 12 month lease, but this isn't the case. You can negotiate a 6 month lease that roles monthly after that - this is useful if you're looking to buy something. We moved into our own house 8 months after arriving here.

I'll send a pm later with contact details so you can get in touch when you arrive.

Regards
Amanda