Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the Sun really Rain ????

Is the Sun really Rain ????

Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Is the Sun really Rain ????

Sorry about the heading, but I needed to get your attention. I was talking to another Irish couple today, who have returned from Australia, stating their reason was the Children could not go out in the sun as it was too hot so it was as bad as not been able to get out because of rain all the time. I was wondering if anybody living over there could help me on this one.
We are heading to Perth.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:38 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the Sun really Rain ????

Originally Posted by Chef69
Sorry about the heading, but I needed to get your attention. I was talking to another Irish couple today, who have returned from Australia, stating their reason was the Children could not go out in the sun as it was too hot so it was as bad as not been able to get out because of rain all the time. I was wondering if anybody living over there could help me on this one.
We are heading to Perth.
Slip Slop Slap
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:38 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

We are heading to Perth.

never stopped us or the kiddies.....loads of sun screen.....big floppy hat and shades.....SORTED!!! oh aye and a bottle ov water

enjoy
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:39 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

We are heading to Perth.
The answer is SLip Slap Slop and stay in the shade, there are the odd day when it can be too hot to go out, the over 40 degree days are killers but they are few and far between maybe a couple of weeks in Perth, they generally come with a easterly wind (straight of the desert) so you cant hide from it other than go indoors to the aircon. however having lived in Ireland for most weekends of my teen years and knowing what the rain is like there even me a cold winter loving gal can not see that there kids would have been kept inside more due to the heat than the Irish rain.

Kala
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:43 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

We are heading to Perth.
It's true everyone in their right mind follows the slip,slop,slap rule and keeps in the shade.

Doesn't stop anyone enjoying the sun though

Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:46 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

We are heading to Perth.

Can't help you on Australia specifically (but we are also headed to Perth so I'd be interested others' views) but when we lived in SE Asia, we tended to go out swimming, walking etc at about 4pm and also early in the morning (about 7, 8 am.). More shade then and also slightly cooler.
We did sometimes go out at the height of the day but the kids would be well covered up. You also get into the habit of pushing water down them constantly and teaching them to check the colour of their pee.

Don't forget the main risks:

Heatstroke - so keep them cool (swimming is obviously ideal)

Sunburn/sunstroke - so keep them covered

Dehydration - so keep them watered.

I suppose some people never adapt but we and our kids loved it. We had the humidity also and we just got used to being constantly sweaty!!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:54 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

S.E Asia I'd love to live there

Where did you live?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
S.E Asia I'd love to live there

Where did you live?

Brunei
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:01 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
Brunei

Never been, although we did stay in the same hotel in KL as the prince last year

Does that count
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Never been, although we did stay in the same hotel in KL as the prince last year

Does that count
Bloody show off

JTL
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Bloody show off

JTL
Not really it was only £50 a night and I think his room was a tad bigger than ours
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:07 pm

Does that count

It's not a place I'd recommend for a holiday.

When we were there hardly anybody apart from immediate family wanted to visit. Couldn't get them there for love nor money. Now we're off to Australia, they're bloody queueing up!

Living there was great - but you do have to really change your mindset to survive. Even then, you get to the point when you realise that there's probably more to life than gold palaces.

If you're heading to that region, Sabah (esp Kota Kinabalu) as much more to offer. (and you can buy a beer!)
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Not really it was only £50 a night and I think his room was a tad bigger than ours

It was a joke....

But which hotel was it anyway?

(Just so I can meet some rich and famous cheap skates! )

JTL
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
It was a joke....

But which hotel was it anyway?

(Just so I can meet some rich and famous cheap skates! )

JTL
I know

It was the JW.Marriot very nice place and the prince was there for the grand prix.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by NKSK
It's not a place I'd recommend for a holiday.

When we were there hardly anybody apart from immediate family wanted to visit. Couldn't get them there for love nor money. Now we're off to Australia, they're bloody queueing up!

Living there was great - but you do have to really change your mindset to survive. Even then, you get to the point when you realise that there's probably more to life than gold palaces.

If you're heading to that region, Sabah (esp Kota Kinabalu) as much more to offer. (and you can buy a beer!)

I'd love to go there a bit much with the small kids.

I've been to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, singapore and Malaysia and love that part of the world, my favourite being Vietnam I first went there eight years ago and fell in love with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.