Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sun in Pommyland, it is really bad

Sun in Pommyland, it is really bad

Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sun in Pommyland, it is really bad

This recent discussion on kids and weather got me thinking.

Is it really bad, in Summer, in the UK? Most people want to get a new house and a new car and to 'chill out' and so decide to move to Aus. They tell themselves its for the kids to have a better outdoor life. (I'm taking the piss, personally, I think Australia can offer a great deal for kids- cancer or no cancer). Anyhow, people always talk about how it pisses down in the UK and how there is no summer. And pictures of dirty beaches don't help.

Perception is the key.

I can only remember summers from my childhood as I have not consistently been in the UK long enough the last 10 years to really know. I recall hot summers. But whenever I've rang home from Central Europe (30c) I was always told it was raining- yet 'Spring was gorgeous'. I'm beginning to feel that high summer in the UK is genuinely a wet season and as winters are long -(although mild by Continental standards) that people do feel generally shortchanged.

What I do remember from my year in Australia followed by 9 months in the UK was the lack of consistency. On arrival at Heathrow at midday in February on a mild day, the first thing I noticed was no sky - it literally looked dark and purple. I thought, 'who turned out the lights"? April brought an immediate change and it was uphill all the way. In Melbourne, my brother and my Dad (on seperate visits) have noticed how beautiful the sky is, and how bright it is, even with clouds - they say that pollution changes it over there. They notice different types of cloud, often in the UK its low-lying.

Summer 2003 was the best UK summer I've experienced as an adult. Heatwaves and consistent sun. To be honest, every day, really. But I'm told this was a one-off.

It seems that UK climate is changing, the summers are improving marginally, but the winters are getting colder, especially if the last 2 are a trend.

Me- I still prefer Victoria where you get the best of both worlds. A decent summer, long autumns and springs, long evenings, equivalent to a UK summer(+) and a short winter which the woodburner makes fun.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 6:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sun in Pommyland, it is really bad

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright

Is it really bad, in Summer, in the UK? Most people want to get a new house and a new car and to 'chill out' and so decide to move to Aus. They tell themselves its for the kids to have a better outdoor life. (I'm taking the piss, personally, I think Australia can offer a great deal for kids- cancer or no cancer). Anyhow, people always talk about how it pisses down in the UK and how there is no summer. And pictures of dirty beaches don't help.

Perception is the key.

I can only remember summers from my childhood as I have not consistently been in the UK long enough the last 10 years to really know. I recall hot summers. But whenever I've rang home from Central Europe (30c) I was always told it was raining- yet 'Spring was gorgeous'. I'm beginning to feel that high summer in the UK is genuinely a wet season and as winters are long -(although mild by Continental standards) that people do feel generally shortchanged.

What I do remember from my year in Australia followed by 9 months in the UK was the lack of consistency. On arrival at Heathrow at midday in February on a mild day, the first thing I noticed was no sky - it literally looked dark and purple. I thought, 'who turned out the lights"? April brought an immediate change and it was uphill all the way. In Melbourne, my brother and my Dad (on seperate visits) have noticed how beautiful the sky is, and how bright it is, even with clouds - they say that pollution changes it over there. They notice different types of cloud, often in the UK its low-lying.

Summer 2003 was the best UK summer I've experienced as an adult. Heatwaves and consistent sun. To be honest, every day, really. But I'm told this was a one-off.

It seems that UK climate is changing, the summers are improving marginally, but the winters are getting colder, especially if the last 2 are a trend.

Me- I still prefer Victoria where you get the best of both worlds. A decent summer, long autumns and springs, long evenings, equivalent to a UK summer(+) and a short winter which the woodburner makes fun.
I lived in the UK for 10 years & don't think it actually rains that much or it's that cold. Damp & grey maybe but not cold & wet. Light 'quality' is an issue in the UK, you don't get the bright, vivid colours that you do in a hot country like Australia, Greece, Spain etc. Colours in UK seem 'washed' out or 'toned down'. It's not caused by pollution, Sydney or Melbourne are as polluted as London, rather by stronger sunshine. Weather seems to be changing worldwide, UK is getting hotter & colder but less wet. Australia seems to be getting hotter (apart from Perth this year!) & less wet too. Weather is not an issue for me. I prefer the heat but it's not the reason I moved here.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Perception is the key.

Agree w/ all us say. And as for summer 2003, well I love the heat....but not when I have to walk out of a shop cos it's so hot & humid that sweat is running down my legs!!!!! Ewwww yuk!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 6:52 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

This recent discussion on kids and weather got me thinking..
2003 was a superb summer, but it was definitely a freak event. It began in June with some mad thunderstorms and extended right through July, August (traditionally very wet, but glorious and sunny that year) and September. Our Easy-Up pool didn't come down until the end of September. It was in 2003 that the highest ever recorded temperature of 38.5°C occured in Brogdale.

As great as 2003 was, subsequent years have been worse than 'usual', the met-office themselves refer to 2004 as a 'summer-soaker' - an enormous disappointment given the previous year. 2005 was all over the place - up to 30 degrees in mid-June, but with mad wind events in July (a tornado struck Birmingham) and unseasonably cold weather (down to 14 degrees at points). 2005 was also the year that the Glastonbury festival wasn't so much as washed out, as washed away. So to summarise, the summers aren't getting warmer, they're getting more extreme.

I would argue that UK winters are getting colder too. When I was a kid, we had snow most years, but it's been 10 years since England saw any significant snow-fall. Winter tends to just be an extended period of cool, drab weather that lasts from November through to April.

Old Feb 20th 2006, 6:58 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sun in Pommyland, it is really bad

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I lived in the UK for 10 years & don't think it actually rains that much or it's that cold. Damp & grey maybe but not cold & wet. Light 'quality' is an issue in the UK, you don't get the bright, vivid colours that you do in a hot country like Australia, Greece, Spain etc. Colours in UK seem 'washed' out or 'toned down'. It's not caused by pollution, Sydney or Melbourne are as polluted as London, rather by stronger sunshine. Weather seems to be changing worldwide, UK is getting hotter & colder but less wet.
Agree completely with all the above.

The UK weather is not what it is made out to be. London is drier than any city in Oz or NZ, but it does get less sunshine hours. This means there are more days when it is cloudy but it doesn't actually rain.

For some reason everyone from overseas seems to think that London has continual torrential rain, and in winter we are all 6 feet deep in show for months on end.

I have even heard this opinion expressed by a Professor at a foreign University who had travelled quite extensively, and therefore IMO should have known better.

I love the summers in London, and the spring and the autumn. I also love it in winter when it snows. I DONT love the damp and grey days Amazulu alludes to above.

One of the positives I put down on my list of reasons to want to move to Oz was "More Dramatic Weather". In other words - England gets gentle sunshine with fluffy white clouds, Oz gets hot fierce intense sunshine, England gets all day drizzle, Oz gets brief torrential showers, England gets a light breeze, Oz gets High winds. All these are generalizations, but I think you would agree that the weather is more dramatic in Oz, particularly the further north you go into Queensland etc, and personally I like that!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:00 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

As great as 2003 was, subsequent years have been worse than 'usual', the met-office themselves refer to 2004 as a 'summer-soaker' - an enormous disappointment given the previous year. 2005 was all over the place - up to 30 degrees in mid-June, but with mad wind events in July (a tornado struck Birmingham) and unseasonably cold weather (down to 14 degrees at points). 2005 was also the year that the Glastonbury festival wasn't so much as washed out, as washed away. So to summarise, the summers aren't getting warmer, they're getting more extreme.
Lol, that's brought back some memories - that was a fab Glasto for me but lots of people got their tents completely washed away. It was really bizarre weather - it was mad thundering and lightning on the Thursday night, the mud was literally knee high on the Friday, it was over the top of my wellies - but it was hilarious. Can't beat a good bit of mud at Glasto, brings out the festival spirit. Although for the people swimming in it they seriously needed their heads looking at! That was a really bizarre weather weekend because despite the mud I also got sunburn, in between the rain the sun was really hot.

I don't think the weather's too horrific in the UK, the sumers do get quite hot although they are short usually and I think the thing is the weather is so unpredictable you couldn't really plan things - I always find myself saying "if the weather's nice tomorrow we'll go to the park" - You could have a fantastically sunny day, but the next day it will be rainy and cold. I've never been to Oz so I don't know about the weather, is it more predictable than here?
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:08 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Sun in Pommyland, it is really bad

I love the British summers; they are so gentle and mild, with none of the cloying humidity and laser-like UV rays that we get back home.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:26 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I just love those comments about the "Oz weather"!

It's like a Martian asking, when he gets off the saucer, what the weather's like on Earth!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I love the British summers; they are so gentle and mild, with none of the cloying humidity and laser-like UV rays that we get back home.

My visit last year, from the end of May through to the 3rd week of July, was the best period of weather combined with light hours, I've enjoyed since coming to Aussie. It was bloody fantastic. Most of all was the Lushness and vibrancy of everything... Especially sitting out in a beer garden, gentle warm sun beaming down, watching swans glide by on a canal. No flies, no need for sunscreen, white fluffy clouds, birds singing, total laid back hedonism. All at 8.30 pm !!!!!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:05 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Sun in Pommyland, it is really bad

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
My visit last year, from the end of May through to the 3rd week of July, was the best period of weather combined with light hours, I've enjoyed since coming to Aussie. It was bloody fantastic. Most of all was the Lushness and vibrancy of everything... Especially sitting out in a beer garden, gentle warm sun beaming down, watching swans glide by on a canal. No flies, no need for sunscreen, white fluffy clouds, birds singing, total laid back hedonism. All at 8.30 pm !!!!!
Well, that's May to July - which is after summer. So you're actually describing an Aussie autumn - no wonder it was so nice!

Aussie autumns were a highlight of my year, back home.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I just love those comments about the "Oz weather"!

It's like a Martian asking, when he gets off the saucer, what the weather's like on Earth!
lol aye. Where we're moving to, there's a good 5-10 degree temperature difference from the coast to just 10Km inland.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
If British summers were longer, eg from April - October, they would be like Melbourne's. Only you can add consistently 5-15(!) degrees on the warmer days.