Reload this Page >

Summer of Discontent

Summer of Discontent

Old Oct 21st 2004, 10:58 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Summer of Discontent

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...0/s1225399.htm

Customs strike hits air, sea ports

Customs officers around Australia are on a 24-hour strike, disrupting traffic at international air and sea ports.

International air travellers have been advised to allow extra time for checking in.

The 24-hour strike began at midnight and is affecting international air travel, shipping and international mail.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...0/s1225300.htm

Howard considers 'essential services' strike ban

Prime Minister John Howard has outlined some of his fourth-term industrial relations agenda, which may include new rules to outlaw strikes in all utilities.

Mr Howard says he regards Australia's airlines as an "essential service".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...0/s1225021.htm

Qantas ready for union stoush: Dixon

Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon has told shareholders the airline is ready for a stoush with unions.

Mr Dixon has addressed the company's annual general meeting in Brisbane, outside which a small group of airline employees has been protesting.

Mr Dixon has expressed dismay at union talk of strike action over the busy Christmas-New Year period.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:02 pm

Default Re: Summer of Discontent

Interesting to see how this plays out but with Howard having control of the senate I would not be suprised to see some Thatcher style union bashing. I wonder what the response will be from the unions?
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...0/s1225399.htm

Customs strike hits air, sea ports

Customs officers around Australia are on a 24-hour strike, disrupting traffic at international air and sea ports.

International air travellers have been advised to allow extra time for checking in.

The 24-hour strike began at midnight and is affecting international air travel, shipping and international mail.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...0/s1225300.htm

Howard considers 'essential services' strike ban

Prime Minister John Howard has outlined some of his fourth-term industrial relations agenda, which may include new rules to outlaw strikes in all utilities.

Mr Howard says he regards Australia's airlines as an "essential service".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...0/s1225021.htm

Qantas ready for union stoush: Dixon

Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon has told shareholders the airline is ready for a stoush with unions.

Mr Dixon has addressed the company's annual general meeting in Brisbane, outside which a small group of airline employees has been protesting.

Mr Dixon has expressed dismay at union talk of strike action over the busy Christmas-New Year period.
Heard on the news as well and was thinking "Phew, that was close..." :scared: Our shipment from the UK went through customs on Wednesday and is being delivered in an hour's time. We can't even remember what was shipped... Will find out soooooooooooon.

Mrs JTL
Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Interesting to see how this plays out but with Howard having control of the senate I would not be suprised to see some Thatcher style union bashing. I wonder what the response will be from the unions?
That response would be interesting. I heard that after the union bashing by Thatcher, most of the Union leaders migrated to Australia

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That response would be interesting. I heard that after the union bashing by Thatcher, most of the Union leaders migrated to Australia
There are a few gruff scottish accents when they come on the news. Some of the unions such as the wharfies and the CFMEU seem almost mafia like in their operations. Physical violence should not be a method of coercing a company in a modern economy.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few gruff scottish accents when they come on the news. Some of the unions such as the wharfies and the CFMEU seem almost mafia like in their operations. Physical violence should not be a method of coercing a company in a modern economy.

Many unions here have been found to have links to Mafia type groups, notorious the building industry and the so called melbourne mafia.

The 30 odd melbourne gangland slayings appear to be more drug related tho.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Many unions here have been found to have links to Mafia type groups, notorious the building industry and the so called melbourne mafia.

The 30 odd melbourne gangland slayings appear to be more drug related tho.
Not forgetting the links to the police. Don't you love it that the police are ripping off the dealers and then selling the drugs on the side.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:49 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Not forgetting the links to the police. Don't you love it that the police are ripping off the dealers and then selling the drugs on the side.
I won't have *one word* said against the good ladies & gents of the Mount Thomas Police....

Anya.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 10:29 am
Go Banana's !!

With me arriving next Thursday, alledgedly one of the strike days, I thought Jill was winding me up when she sent me a text last night !!

I hope it doesn't cock mine and anyone elses journey up too much, although Jill told me this morning that the disruption was minimal.

Keep me posted as I leave on Weds next week and arrive on Thurs 28th.

Thanks

Warren

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:07 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
With me arriving next Thursday, alledgedly one of the strike days, I thought Jill was winding me up when she sent me a text last night !!

I hope it doesn't cock mine and anyone elses journey up too much, although Jill told me this morning that the disruption was minimal.

Keep me posted as I leave on Weds next week and arrive on Thurs 28th.

Thanks

Warren
And I'm a couple of days behind you ....
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 11:08 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hope so