Suitcases?

Old Aug 24th 2006, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suitcases?

I've got to get some new suitcases but not sure how many i will need. I know there is a 40kg allowance, but am i right that i have seen some where a suitcase can weigh no heavier than 32kg due to health and safety. So does that mean that i can have 10 suitcases as long as they weigh no more than 200kg. We are a family of 5, 2 adults 3 children not sure what sizes to buy or how many. Can anyone help. Hoping to get a good bargain now the holiday season nearly over.

Many Thanks

Stacey xx
Old Aug 24th 2006, 12:46 pm
Here at last

Crazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Suitcases?

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
I've got to get some new suitcases but not sure how many i will need. I know there is a 40kg allowance, but am i right that i have seen some where a suitcase can weigh no heavier than 32kg due to health and safety. So does that mean that i can have 10 suitcases as long as they weigh no more than 200kg. We are a family of 5, 2 adults 3 children not sure what sizes to buy or how many. Can anyone help. Hoping to get a good bargain now the holiday season nearly over.

Many Thanks

Stacey xx
Hi, I'd certainly be interested in any replies on this one. We are planning to take 2 cases of 20kg each, the trouble is all our luggage is heavy and rubbish, only good for short hauls. If you know where to get any good quality lightweight cases that don't cost a fortune, let me know.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 12:51 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks

Stacey xx
Firstly - do you have it confirmed, in writing, that you're allowed the 40Kg. Very few airlines will entertain the migrant's allowance these days - notable exceptions being if you choose to fly west via the US instead of east via asia. Some people have managed to prise a 40Kg allowance out of some airlines, but cases are few and far between and lots of people who think they're entitled end up having to use the Excess Baggage stand at Heathrow. Secondly yes, there is 32Kg maximum limit on individual bags. When we emigrated we had three large bags each of 32Kg (weighed before-hand), plus way more 'hand' luggage than we should have been allowed. Remember to tag your luggage with a bright coloured ribbon or similar to make picking them out on the carousel that little bit easier.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Many Thanks

Stacey xx
Hi Stacey,you are right. as many cases as you need as long as not over 32kg and upto you max weight....

Steve
Old Aug 24th 2006, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

November11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the rough

Hi
On a recent flight back from Vietnam I noticed that several people had wrapped their suitcases in 'clingfilm'.
This seems a good idea to me as it will protect the case and stop the case breaking open....but is it allowed?
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Firstly - do you have it confirmed, in writing, that you're allowed the 40Kg. Very few airlines will entertain the migrant's allowance these days - notable exceptions being if you choose to fly west via the US instead of east via asia. Some people have managed to prise a 40Kg allowance out of some airlines, but cases are few and far between and lots of people who think they're entitled end up having to use the Excess Baggage stand at Heathrow. Secondly yes, there is 32Kg maximum limit on individual bags. When we emigrated we had three large bags each of 32Kg (weighed before-hand), plus way more 'hand' luggage than we should have been allowed. Remember to tag your luggage with a bright coloured ribbon or similar to make picking them out on the carousel that little bit easier.

We haven't booked our tickets yet as still waiting for Visa. Was going to phone Singapore airlines direct, so i will ask when booking tickets about allowance. Does hand luggage count as your allowance, and my husband has to take his spray guns and tools (paint sprayer) will i have to pay extra for this? So many questions sorry

Stacey xx
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:25 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't booked our tickets yet as still waiting for Visa. Was going to phone Singapore airlines direct, so i will ask when booking tickets about allowance. Does hand luggage count as your allowance, and my husband has to take his spray guns and tools (paint sprayer) will i have to pay extra for this? So many questions sorry

Stacey xx
As Hutch suggested, I recommend flying west through the US. This is the baggage policy of United Airlines:

Their standard luggage allowances are as follows:

2 items, not exceeding 23kg each = 46kg

1 item of hand luggage - Unspecified mass, but dimensionally resticted (quite large though)

1 personal item - Usually a laptop in a case. again, unspecified mass.

BUT.... here's the good bit....

They will allow you up to 32kg in each of your two checked bags for the bargain basement cost of just US$50! (£26 today) per item. Mustn't exceed 32kg though as that is the loading limit at heathrow. So, for an extra £52 your luggage allowance with United Airlines can actually be as much as 64kg + hand and laptop.

This is what I did a couple of weeks back, brandished my £52, only when I mentioned that I was emigrating to the check in clerk, he even waived the fee, though I suspect this was down to personal choice as opposed to company policy.

I hope that helps you out. It's all documented on their website at www.unitedairlines.co.uk under travel support. It's not very well written, so you may have to re read it but it is there in black and white.

S
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Thats really useful. I will have to remember that when we'll be going next year. It sounds as though it could well be worth flying via the US to get the increased baggage allowance.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:38 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by November11
Hi
On a recent flight back from Vietnam I noticed that several people had wrapped their suitcases in 'clingfilm'.
This seems a good idea to me as it will protect the case and stop the case breaking open....but is it allowed?
The clingfilm is becoming more prevelant in asia after the scams of drugs running using other people luggage. Chapelle Corby was supposedly a victim of baggage handlers bunging drugs in her bags after check in so that their ring-mates at the other end can get the drugs out before it goes through baggage reclaim... You can use it - people at the airpot charge a few quid for it. If your bag gets x-rayed they'll be ok. And if they are gonna open the bag up to examine it in detail the clingfilm wont stop them. Its no worse than combination locks in that respect ( and they cut those off if they want tolook in toyur bag)

Only small nugget of a hole in her story was that her bro got jail time just afterwards for er... drugs possession. She is doing 25yrs in a bali jail.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 1:51 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeresaG
Thats really useful. I will have to remember that when we'll be going next year. It sounds as though it could well be worth flying via the US to get the increased baggage allowance.
Yeah, I found it really good. Was able to stuff just about everyhting I owned into 2 cases and the job was a good one.

They seem to be a pretty good airline to fly with too. Nice comfortable planes.

Hope that's useful.

S
Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Suitcases?

Many Thanks

Stacey xx
Somebody posted a thread on here recently about a sale in Asda on luggage - large lilac suitcase around £8 if i remember rightly.

Paula
Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

don't forget that they are a lot stricter on hand luggage now. If you fly from the UK you can only have one piece of hand luggage - no laptop or hand bag in addition
Old Aug 24th 2006, 4:31 pm
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

[Is the allowance per person or family as I was under the impression it was for a full paying fare could some one put me strait Thanks
Old Aug 24th 2006, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pike
[Is the allowance per person or family as I was under the impression it was for a full paying fare could some one put me strait Thanks
the allowance is per person so if you get 40kg and have four people, you have a total of 160kg
Old Aug 24th 2006, 4:53 pm
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ohippy
the allowance is per person so if you get 40kg and have four people, you have a total of 160kg

Thanks for that ,I really dont want to be hauling lots of luggage around with Me as my wife and two daughters would enjoy watching me struggle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.