Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suitcase weighing at check in

Suitcase weighing at check in

Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice
Default Suitcase weighing at check in

Hi guys and gals

We are in the process of packing for our flight out on Tuesday.
As we are on a 457 we are only allowed 20 kgs each.
We have 8 cases (8 people travelling) and so max baggage of 160kgs in total.

My question is: do they weigh each case separately or will they allow us the 160kgs in total for all 8 cases together? I was thinking that if one case was 15kgs will they let another case be 25kgs?

The same question for hand luggage......do they do the same thing?
We will have 8 hand baggage and we are allowed 7kgs for each bag.
We are also allowed a second item but they are specific as to what it can be.....slim laptop case, handbag etc

I know that excess baggage is £30 per kg over......ouch! and for health and safety no case can be over 32kgs (not that we would ever go that much over).

Difficult to accurately weigh the cases as well on normal scales as well...grrrr

Thanks for your help

Jackie and Steve
xx
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suitcase weighing at check in

Hi
They weighed each of our bags separately, but were very understanding, and tried to make everything as smooth as possible. We had scales that we used to make sure everything was good, 1 would get on the scales and then take the suitcase, kept everything just under the 20kgs per bag. We had 6 people at 20kg, so it worked out ok. But it might be worth booking help at the airport, it is a major pain the butt trying to maneuver all those bags! The airport did try and help and make sure things were as stress free as possible, but still it is an ordeal.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Hi guys!

Can't help on the consolidation of weight question but you can buy hanging suitcase weigher thingies http://www.goplanetgo.co.uk/index.ph...on=show_detail for example.

We've got one similar and it is a godsend!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:19 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tabbiespice
Hi guys and gals

My question is: do they weigh each case separately or will they allow us the 160kgs in total for all 8 cases together? I was thinking that if one case was 15kgs will they let another case be 25kgs?

We are also allowed a second item but they are specific as to what it can be.....slim laptop case, handbag etc

I know that excess baggage is £30 per kg over......ouch! and for health and safety no case can be over 32kgs (not that we would ever go that much over).

Difficult to accurately weigh the cases as well on normal scales as well...grrrr

Thanks for your help

Jackie and Steve
xx
Hi Jackie & Steve,
It doesn't matter how much you take in your luggage as long as it weighs no more that the 160kg in total, so basically you can all pool your luggage. BUT as you rightly say, a suitcase cannot be more than 32kg in weight for safety reasons.
When we went to Brisbane one of our cases was 37kg and they made us empty it out and send the extra as excess. Different airlines charge different amounts for excess. We went with Singapore Air and they tried charging £31 per kilo excess So we sent the extra using The Excess Baggage Company and they were way cheaper and great service too.
As far as your hand luggage is concerned, you can take a laptop as extra, but I had to put my camcorder and handbag into my hand luggage. Check with the airline before you go just to make sure.
Good luck and I hope all goes well.
Julie. x
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

famousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nice

hi there, allthough they will weigh the bags individually if you all check in as one group together then they should take a combined weight for all bags
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice

Thanks everyone

xxx
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice

Does anyone know if they weigh all cases?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

When my daughter flew recently they were weighing the hand luggage also. A gentlemen (well actually quite clearly wasn't one) had a right to do at the security as they sent him back as his hand luggage was way to heavy. It was quite a scene!

Asked my daughter to take her coat out of cabin case as its weight pushed her over the limit, said to her to carry it on then put back. Very understanding, but really this is as I believe being pushed as a safety issue.

They do weight all luggage (or should) and as previously stated nothing over 32Kg's will get through as that is more than a one man lift. Also anything over 24/25Kg's will get a heavy sticker.

Also my daughters check in luggage was 5Kg's over each way and she got away with it - although I know this is not always the case. Seems as though if under 25Kg's they often turn a blind eye.

Hope this helps.

Tracey
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:02 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys and gals

Thanks for your help

Jackie and Steve
xx
My OH and I had an allowance of 20 kg each on Qantas but the lovely lady at check-in allowed us to get away with 24 kilos and 30 kilos. We were cringing as they weighed in so far over but she didn't say a word, just smiled & wished us good luck in our new lives I've heard of other similar experiences..

oh, re hand luggage I had a regular size holdall & a large handbag jammed full of stuff & no-one objected at any stage. OH had bulging rucksack filled with camera gear and thick laptop bag

Last edited by JoolsB; Mar 1st 2008 at 2:06 am.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bradburns
Does anyone know if they weigh all cases?
Yes - as you load your baggage on the belt at check in each bag is weighed before being tagged. Obviously some people are more flexible than others about the whole weight thing, and you can try and negotiate, but don't expect your bags not to get weighed.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys and gals

Thanks for your help

Jackie and Steve
xx
You will find that they will weigh each case separately, but will allow a combined weight for all 8 pieces of 160kg, so long as no one piece weighs more than 32kg for safety resasons. As for hand luggage, again for safety reasons and space within the cabin, the 7kg weight is usually the maximum allowed for one individual piece.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:24 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

We were lucky managed to get increased baggage allowance, and even then we were slightly over but it was all fine!

But they are VERY strict on the weight of each case not being over the 32 mark, we had someone in front of us that had to redistribute weight around the 4 cases they had in front of everyone in the queue! Good thing it was outbound and everything was nice and clean and folded etc!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:46 am
Just Joined

LIAM123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys and gals

Thanks for your help

Jackie and Steve
xx
TRY THIS SITE IT MAY HELP
RGDS
LIAM
WWW.ECOSUITCASES.CO.UK
Old Apr 6th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

When we emigrated last year we were allowed a maximum of 70kg but in actual fact we had 90kgs in three suitcases. Arrived at check-in and my first question was @ How busy is the flight to day?' The answer was 'Not very busy'. This was a good sign and we then explained that we were emigrating and they allowed us through with the 90kgs with no extra charges. This was Singapore Airlines.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Some airlines seem to be more flexible than others, but you have to spare a thought for the baggage handlers who're going to have to lift your luggage on/off conveyor belts and/or trolleys to get it on/off the plane.

The 32Kg upper limit is basically a health & safety precaution to save them from a nasty injury

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.