Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Road Trip

Suggestions for Road Trip

Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:14 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Question Suggestions for Road Trip

Hi Folks,

D-Day is looming and once we get ourselves sorted with the basics (rent, bank accounts, etc) we're planning on doing a mini road trip from Brisbane to Sydney.

Has anyone got suggestions for places to go/see enroute. We're into most stuff - adventure (Sand tobogganing is a must!), walking, sight seeing, etc.

Got no kids, just me and the missus - any thoughts or suggestions from anyone?

Also can anyone suggest motels to stop off at on the way down?

Cheers everyone

Rob
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:20 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Default Re: Suggestions for Road Trip

Can't suggest a particular route as such, but I can recommend you buying yourself a Lonely Planet guide book, which is good for information on different locations, B&b's, pubs, clubs, shopping, events etc etc.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:34 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Hi Folks,

D-Day is looming and once we get ourselves sorted with the basics (rent, bank accounts, etc) we're planning on doing a mini road trip from Brisbane to Sydney.

Has anyone got suggestions for places to go/see enroute. We're into most stuff - adventure (Sand tobogganing is a must!), walking, sight seeing, etc.

Cheers everyone

Rob
Kingscliff is lovely, as is a detour in land to the Dorrigo Rainforest; I did Sydney to Brisbane a couple of years ago. If you look at my website (link in my signature - 2003, Sydney Trip) you can see where I stopped and piccies of it too! Have fun!
Basically though we took 7 days I think for the trip and stopped at;
Hunter Valley
Port Maquarie
Coffs Harbour
Cape Byron
Kingscliff
Surfers Paradise

Last edited by mlbonner; Mar 17th 2005 at 9:36 am.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:38 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Smile Re: Suggestions for Road Trip

Hi Folks,

Cheers everyone

Rob
G'day Sam 'n' Rob

I've driven the Syd-Bne/Bne-Syd route a number of times - you might call me a veteran of many roads here!!

My preference is for the inland route via the New England Highway. I find it quite enchanting and a great insight into a more rural aspect of NSW (and a bit of Qld!)

There are two major routes between the two capitals: the Pacific Highway or coastal route, and the New England Highway or inland route. The difference between the two, mileage-wise is negligible (tho the inland route is a tad longer, distance-wise - not necessarily time-wise).

It really depends on what you want to see/do en route and how long you want to take seeing/doing it!

Give us some clues, and I'll try to help further!

Cheers,
Chris

Old Mar 17th 2005, 9:58 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks,

Cheers everyone

Rob
We did just that trip during the Christmas break. Have a look at the thread.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...road+trip+2005
Seems it's been corrupted a little since the upgrade to the new server sorry about that. An excellent trip if your a tree hugging geologist though
Old Mar 17th 2005, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks,

Rob
Stop off at Byron Bay. The Blues and Roots Festival is on soon, so the place'll be buzzing with activity. My Dad's favourite pub in the world is in Byron Bay. I know it's not exactly an adrenelin junkie's stop over, but it's a great place to see.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:16 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies everyone - a great insight and will definately look to visit the places you have all mentioned.

We have loads of these 'travellers' guides - probably too many, but I just wanted to see if there were any different views from brits who have been and done it.

We're up for anything and in essence have as much time as it takes. We've allocated about three months out to explore. In that time, if we can take in the Blue Mountains, adrenaline stuff and of course the bridge walk when we get to Sydney then that would be great. Intersperce that with a few recommended watering holes and beaches, then I'll be pretty happy!

Good god - it's not long now!! Just been out for the first of a couple of leaving lunches with work colleagues. Even the guy who I was having a moan about a few weeks back on this forum was cool and paid for food / drinks, etc.

I think he has actually appreciated the work I've done for him but has only just shown it! Typical!

Still - roll on Sunday! Yippeee
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:34 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Broken Head, Nimbin, Coffs Harbour... just pootle along the coast, it's great..
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

don't know your days.... but if you are in kingscliff on a friday night we are always in the bowls club, come early 17.30 - quiz starts, then the meat raffle etc... ask for karen and alan.
can recommend the hinterland round here, rather than the gold coast highway on your way up, the scenery is breathtaking, particularly springbrook area.
karen
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:59 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by karenvirginia
don't know your days.... but if you are in kingscliff on a friday night we are always in the bowls club, come early 17.30 - quiz starts, then the meat raffle etc... ask for karen and alan.
can recommend the hinterland round here, rather than the gold coast highway on your way up, the scenery is breathtaking, particularly springbrook area.
karen
Thanks for the invite Karen - don't know our days yet either! But rest assured that if we are in the area we'll call in.

This is what I'm looking forward to tho'. A bit of a career break and do what we want, when we want - I'm weeing myself with excitement!!
Old Mar 17th 2005, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

you must go to byron bay. and maybe nimbin just inland.very strange town!
Old Mar 17th 2005, 4:21 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by island.girl
These are all great replies thanks. Places are being suggested here (Nimbin for one) which I've never read about in any of the travel books or seen posted on this site.

Thanks everyone - keep um' coming!
Old Mar 17th 2005, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

They sell them large ciggies in Nimbin and some nice chocolate cakes
Old Mar 17th 2005, 6:46 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

These are all great replies thanks. Places are being suggested here (Nimbin for one) which I've never read about in any of the travel books or seen posted on this site.

Thanks everyone - keep um' coming!

Ha ha, no its kinda 'off the map' in more ways than one! We only stopped for an hour, but it was a real experience!!
Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:59 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by island.girl
Your right it is a strange town, everywhere you go the locals keep trying to sell you cigartettes with green tabacco and some sort of white flour in little plastic bags.

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 17th 2005 at 9:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.