Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a kid-friendly break in Sydney

Suggestions for a kid-friendly break in Sydney

Old Apr 13th 2006, 1:57 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Question Suggestions for a kid-friendly break in Sydney

Hi all,

Just wondered if you could help me out with any suggestions of cool stuff to do with kids in Sydney whilst on a flying visit.

I've checked out the websites for the obvious, just wondered if you'd had any experience of one particular place that your kids REALLY loved, be it a restaurant, attraction - anything really.

All ideas gratefully received.

Jules
Old Apr 13th 2006, 2:02 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions for a kid-friendly break in Sydney

Originally Posted by julesandco
Hi all,

Just wondered if you could help me out with any suggestions of cool stuff to do with kids in Sydney whilst on a flying visit.

I've checked out the websites for the obvious, just wondered if you'd had any experience of one particular place that your kids REALLY loved, be it a restaurant, attraction - anything really.

Jules
My 10 year old enjoyed Taronga Zoo. It was a good day out as you've got the ferry trip across the harbour so plenty of great photo opportunities. Then you take a cable car to the top of the zoo and walk back down. There are more good views from the zoo looking back towards the bridge so I thought it was well worth doing
Old Apr 13th 2006, 2:15 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The A Team
My 10 year old enjoyed Taronga Zoo. It was a good day out as you've got the ferry trip across the harbour so plenty of great photo opportunities. Then you take a cable car to the top of the zoo and walk back down. There are more good views from the zoo looking back towards the bridge so I thought it was well worth doing
Thanks for that - must admit, the zoo was on the list for me (never mind the kids )

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm also trying to book lunch in the Sydney Tower - does food have as many calories at high altitude?
Old Apr 13th 2006, 2:17 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - must admit, the zoo was on the list for me (never mind the kids )

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm also trying to book lunch in the Sydney Tower - does food have as many calories at high altitude?
No I'm sure it doesn't
Old Apr 13th 2006, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - must admit, the zoo was on the list for me (never mind the kids ) Zoo is good

No don't worry you will lose it coming down in the lift anyway !!!! (actually the food is pretty good up there)
Old Apr 13th 2006, 3:04 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

We visited the tower during the middle of the Aussie summer hols and the restaurant was practically empty, so I don't think you'd have trouble getting a table. Seemed more like a coffee and a cake sort of place than a sit-down meal, but I only popped my head round the corner. It's well worth visiting the tower though - and also, do the little interactive show thing as well - our son loved it.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

jakimber is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Jules
We have taken our son (3 years old), niece (7) and nephew (4) to the Australian Museum and they loved it. Place is full of stuffed animals and they have a great kids room where kids can touch stuffed animals make bugs on the computers. Look at live stick insects. There is also a play room for really little kids.

There is also the Baby Proms at the Opera House (obviously child age dependent). Check Opera house web-site for dates. Little kids love it.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Jules
My two boys loved the ferries - to anywhere! also a harbour cruise -that's good
Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Off the top of my head...

If you can't be bothered with all the sand at the beach, but fancy a swim how about North Sydney Olympic pool - http://www.northsydney.nsw.gov.au/ww...ympic-pool.asp - just a boat ride from Circular Quay, it's under the bridge, right next to Luna Park ( http://www.lunaparksydney.com/ ) - and it does the best fish and chips right beside the kids pool.

Ferry to Manly, walk to the beach, maybe OceanWorld - http://www.oceanworld.com.au/generalinfo.htm

Darling Harbour and it's aquarium - if the weather is a bit on the wet side.

or. pick up a copy of Sydney's Child and check the what's on. http://www.sydneyschild.com.au/

Wiggle's World at Seven Hills(?) http://www.wigglyplaycentre.com.au/
:scared: :scared:

Last edited by galloping gaijin; Apr 14th 2006 at 12:45 am.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

You could also do a jet-boat ride on the harbour - all kids (but particularly boys) love that one. They go from Darling Harbour or round by the Opera House.

IMAX at Darling Harbour is also another indoor thing that kids love.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by nickyc
You could also do a jet-boat ride on the harbour - all kids (but particularly boys) love that one. They go from Darling Harbour or round by the Opera House.

IMAX at Darling Harbour is also another indoor thing that kids love.
Thanks for all these ideas - will need another five days, I think!!
Old Apr 14th 2006, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all these ideas - will need another five days, I think!!
We wish we had done the maritime museum (Darling Harbour I think), loads of boats to look around as well as a submarine.

Anyone done this? if so is it any good?
Old Apr 17th 2006, 7:41 am
Just Joined

PJMB is a jewel in the roughPJMB is a jewel in the roughPJMB is a jewel in the roughPJMB is a jewel in the roughPJMB is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Suggestions for a kid-friendly break in Sydney

Hi all,

Jules
Hi Jules

Although we didn't have young children with us(my daughter was 16 at the time), we chanced on a great B&B in Cremorne. The name was Cremorne Point Manor. Rooms were a bit on the small side but had everything you could ask for. It even had a guest kitchen and dining area and a catalogue from which you could order virtually any type of cuisine. A young family were there at the same time that we were, and the kids loved the fact that the wild rainbow lorakeets would come to the veranda to be hand fed and given drinks of apple juice.But the best part about the place was its location - walk to the end of the street and the Opera House is straight across the harbour. The ferry also departed from the end of the street to Circular Quay(next to the Opera House), from which you can get a ferry to anywhere in the harbour. We went, on the ferry, shopping, to the Zoo, to the beach, to the aquarium - my husband was in his second childhood! Luna Park is close too - you can see it from circular quay, so I assume the ferry goes there too. We bought a three day Sydney Pass, which made the ferry travel very inexpensive.I would definitely recommend this place - and no I am not on commission! http://www.cremornepointmanor.com.au/main.asp
Old Apr 17th 2006, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

While watching a holiday programme over here it featured a bar in Sydney called the ice bar where every thing is made from ice. You are only allowed in for 30 minutes and are given appropriate clothes to wear. Kids are allowed in and to me it offers something different without being like a real bar.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to the zoo I highly recommend camping out in the zoo grounds all the gear is provided and they feed you too, you get to hold and feed the animals when the zoo is closed, animals behave differant at night its a real eyeopener walking around the zoo at midnight