British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sugesstion on driving Brisbane to Port Douglas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sugesstion-driving-brisbane-port-douglas-402421/)

biggy Oct 17th 2006 3:00 am

Re: Sugesstion on driving Brisbane to Port Douglas

Originally Posted by steve99
Thanks to everyone who has replied, some very useful info to take into account when trying to allocate days/night to places etc.
Anyone have any specific recommendations on accomodation in any of the areas mentioned?
Also with the drive from around Hervey Bay it looks to be about 400KM to Rockhampton and another 350ish further to Mackay, given most people have indicated giving Rockhampton a miss would you try and cover getting to Mackay in one hit or spend the night in Rockhampton?

Steve :)

I wouldnt recommend that you do it all in one, the drive from Rocky to Mackay is the most boring drive ever, and would be crap when tired. If you dont fancy Rocky then come out to Yeppoon for the night I can give you some good places to stay if you can tell me your rough budget for a nights accom

DrWho Oct 17th 2006 3:10 am

Originally Posted by steve99
Thanks to everyone who has replied, some very useful info to take into account when trying to allocate days/night to places etc.
Anyone have any specific recommendations on accomodation in any of the areas mentioned?
Also with the drive from around Hervey Bay it looks to be about 400KM to Rockhampton and another 350ish further to Mackay, given most people have indicated giving Rockhampton a miss would you try and cover getting to Mackay in one hit or spend the night in Rockhampton?

Steve :)

We stayed in Big4 Caravan parks during our journey. We found them to be very good; particularly liked the ones in Cairns, Hervey Bay & Airlie Beach. If you join I think it costs $40 per year but you get 10% discount up to $30 per stay, so if you're moving about a bit you'll soon rack the discount up. Also each place you go to will do your forward bookings for you so takes a bit of hassle out of it... Be warned though, they are hugely popular and during any school holidays you'd have to book everything well in advance... Unfortunately I don't think there's one in Makay... :(

steve99 Oct 17th 2006 3:27 am

Originally Posted by biggy
I wouldnt recommend that you do it all in one, the drive from Rocky to Mackay is the most boring drive ever, and would be crap when tired. If you dont fancy Rocky then come out to Yeppoon for the night I can give you some good places to stay if you can tell me your rough budget for a nights accom

Budget wise, within reason we dont really have one...
Would expect for June time in one of the more non touristy places to be paying anything from $80 - $150 night, but really depends on what it is.
If its just somewhere to crash for the night then as long as its clean,tidy, has walking access to somewhere for dinner etc then cheaper the better I guess.
Havent ruled out Rockhampton totally, so if you know of anywhere there thats worth considering then let me know.
Thx
S

Bordy Oct 17th 2006 4:03 am

I spend everyday here and its fab.......:)

Yeppoon is on TV next week. Its on The real seachange on Monday night.

biggy Oct 17th 2006 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
Yeppoon is on TV next week. Its on The real seachange on Monday night.

Ohhh is it.......cool I will need to watch that....remind me will ye lol

Del Boy Oct 17th 2006 5:58 am

I've done that drive more times than I care to remember, usually Gold Coast or Brisbane to Mackay arriving late at night, in the small hours after a 10 or 11 hour drive. Always thought the straights of Sarina was a lonely stretch. The locals informed me later that there were a spate of murders along there, of motorists travelling along there in the 80s. Hopefully the perpetrators have moved away now.