Sugar Ants

Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:34 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sugar Ants

At least that's what I think they are. We have zillions of them. Mostly large, 2 cm incl. legs and boy do they give nasty bite and they are so aggresssive too.
I have used tons of ant powder which seems to do nothjing except make them move a few inches further down the lawn. I would say we have at least 30 active nests.
I am sure I saw a thread on here not long ago (tried searching but can't find) that mentioned a DIY ant killer involving Boric Acid and other pleasant chemicals.

Any one offer some advise? We have small kids and dog so don't want them hurt by the ants.

Andrew
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:43 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sugar Ants

Andrew,

This was the thread.

Used the talc on the buggers successfully last weekend.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=talc
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:46 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andrew63
At least that's what I think they are. We have zillions of them. Mostly large, 2 cm incl. legs and boy do they give nasty bite and they are so aggresssive too.
I have used tons of ant powder which seems to do nothjing except make them move a few inches further down the lawn. I would say we have at least 30 active nests.
I am sure I saw a thread on here not long ago (tried searching but can't find) that mentioned a DIY ant killer involving Boric Acid and other pleasant chemicals.

Any one offer some advise? We have small kids and dog so don't want them hurt by the ants.

Andrew
Hi, Andrew
These sound more like meat ants than sugar ants, which are the tiny brown ones which appear every time rain is imminent.
Best way to deal with them (meat ants) is to mix borax with honey. Make a thick paste, place dollops of it near their nests. They're attracted to the honey, but it's the borax that gets 'em!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:47 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrew63

Andrew
aparently a mixture of half water half vinegar does the trick...kills the, instantly