Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suddenly I find 120pts are not enough!

Wikiposts

Suddenly I find 120pts are not enough!

Old Sep 12th 2002, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

koala is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suddenly I find 120pts are not enough!

I recieved a possitive assessment from ACS two days ago, and my total points for DIMIA should be 120 as I have more than three years experience as a network administrator in the past four years. Unfortunately I found a big bug in my application yesterday, I may not eligible for skills migration because i can't meet the basic requirement!!
it is mentioned in the Booklet that "if you nominated occupation is worth 60 pts, you must have been in paid employment in a skilled occupation(any occupation listed in SOL) for at least 12 of the 18 months before applying."
My experience is: 4 years network administrator+7 months IT lecture(teach computing fundamentals). So, in the past 18 months, i have worked in network adm for 11 months(2231-11), and IT lecture for 7month(2231-79). Although both of the occupations are listed in SOL, the "Basic Requirement" seems it only accepts you experience in a(but not two or more) skilled occupation. What a nightmare!
I have drunk a lot after I found this bug, and very very grateful for any suggestion or opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:
Old Sep 13th 2002, 10:51 am
Spinach88

Default Re: Suddenly I find 120pts are not enough!

Hey,

my input is only my opinion, as I am not an expert, but I would say that anyone
assessing your application should accept that, as both of your recent jobs are
skilled and on the SOL list, you pass that criteria.

spinach/

"koala" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I recieved a possitive assessment from ACS two days ago, and my total points for
    > DIMIA should be 120 as I have more than three years experience as a network
    > administrator in the past four years. Unfortunately I found a big bug in my
    > application yesterday, I may not eligible for skills migration because i can't meet
    > the basic requirement!! it is mentioned in the Booklet that "if you nominated
    > occupation is worth 60 pts, you must have been in paid employment in a skilled
    > occupation(any occupation listed in SOL) for at least 12 of the 18 months before
    > applying." My experience is: 4 years network administrator+7 months IT
    > lecture(teach computing fundamentals). So, in the past 18 months, i have worked in
    > network adm for 11 months(2231-11), and IT lecture for 7month(2231-79). Although
    > both of the occupations are listed in SOL, the "Basic Requirement" seems it only
    > accepts you experience in a(but not two or more) skilled occupation. What a
    > nightmare! I have drunk a lot after I found this bug, and very very grateful for
    > any suggestion or opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > :
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 13th 2002, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Dear Spinach,

Thanks a lot for your response,! I really appreciate your answer, and I hope the visa officer will have the same opinion as yours!!!

I think the criteria on Basic Requriement is a base of whole application, on which different explanation may export contrary outcomes of the application. So, I am anxious to hear more opinions, inluding the negative answers.
here is my question again:
Does the following situation meet the Basic Reruirement for experience?
11 months experience on Occupation A + 7 months experience on Occupation B (A and B are both worth 60 pts on SOL, and suppose A and B are not closely related occupations)

Dear Alan, Dear George, give me couple of words please!!!:lecture: :lecture: :lecture: :lecture: :lecture: :lecture:
Old Sep 13th 2002, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mike & karen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by koala:
Dear Spinach,

Thanks a lot for your response,! I really appreciate your answer, and I hope the visa officer will have the same opinion as yours!!!

I think the criteria on Basic Requriement is a base of whole application, on which different explanation may export contrary outcomes of the application. So, I am anxious to hear more opinions, inluding the negative answers.
here is my question again:
Does the following situation meet the Basic Reruirement for experience?
11 months experience on Occupation A + 7 months experience on Occupation B (A and B are both worth 60 pts on SOL, and suppose A and B are not closely related occupations)

Dear Alan, Dear George, give me couple of words please!!!:lecture: :lecture: :lecture: :lecture: :lecture: :lecture:
Hi Koala

I also had the same problem, unfortuately I didn't know until I lodged my application.
My application was rejected on the basis that I did not meet the Basic Requirements.
I did not have 12 out of 18 month's work experience before I lodge my application.
Although I did have 3 out of 4 Yrs experience for my 60 points.
As it happens, I lodged my application in May 2001 and I waited 14 month's in limbo land before I found out my application was being rejected, but in that time I qualified for the Basic Requirements and I now have a new application in Adelaide.

Mike &Karen
Old Sep 13th 2002, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi,Mike&Karen

I think your information is of great value for me and many people in this forum,as in the course of the application we need both encouragement and warning !!!

Do you mind tell me about the detailed reason DIMIA rejected you application based on your work experience?
I mean in the 18 months before you lodged you application,
if the total length of your work experience didn't reach 12 month, or it did reach 12 months, but was not on a specified
occupation on SOL (for instance, you worked on two occupations of SOL, 7 months for each)?

Thanks again! and good luck in the rest of your procedure!

Best regards!
Old Sep 14th 2002, 6:20 am
Nuta

Hi, What job you applied with? What work did you do for this period? Koala wrote that
worked in pretty close one so should be no problem at all.

<Mike &amp>; "karen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by koala:
    > > Dear Spinach,
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot for your response,! I really appreciate your answer, and I hope the
    > > visa officer will have the same opinion as yours!!!
    > >
    > > I think the criteria on Basic Requriement is a base of whole application, on
    > > which different explanation may export contrary outcomes of the application. So,
    > > I am anxious to hear more opinions, inluding the negative answers. here is my
    > > question again: Does the following situation meet the Basic Reruirement for
    > > experience? 11 months experience on Occupation A + 7 months experience on
    > > Occupation B (A and B are both worth 60 pts on SOL, and suppose A and B are not
    > > closely related occupations)
    > >
    > > Dear Alan, Dear George, give me couple of words please!!!:lecture: :lecture:
    > > :lecture: :lecture: :lecture: :lecture:
    > Hi Koala
    > I also had the same problem, unfortuately I didn't know until I lodged my
    > application. My application was rejected on the basis that I did not meet the Basic
    > Requirements. I did not have 12 out of 18 month's work experience before I lodge my
    > application. Although I did have 3 out of 4 Yrs experience for my 60 points. As it
    > happens, I lodged my application in May 2001 and I waited 14 month's in limbo land
    > before I found out my application was being rejected, but in that time I qualified
    > for the Basic Requirements and I now have a new application in Adelaide.
    > Mike &Karen
    > --

Old Sep 14th 2002, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Mike & karen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nuta:
Hi, What job you applied with? What work did you do for this period? Koala wrote that
worked in pretty close one so should be no problem at all.

<Mike &amp>; "karen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Dear Spinach,
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot for your response,! I really appreciate your answer, and I hope the
    > > visa officer will have the same opinion as yours!!!
    > >
    > > I think the criteria on Basic Requriement is a base of whole application, on
    > > which different explanation may export contrary outcomes of the application. So,
    > > I am anxious to hear more opinions, inluding the negative answers. here is my
    > > question again: Does the following situation meet the Basic Reruirement for
    > > experience? 11 months experience on Occupation A + 7 months experience on
    > > Occupation B (A and B are both worth 60 pts on SOL, and suppose A and B are not
    > > closely related occupations)
    > >
    > > Dear Alan, Dear George, give me couple of words please!!!:lecture: :lecture:
    > > :lecture: :lecture: :lecture: :lecture:
    > Hi Koala
    > I also had the same problem, unfortuately I didn't know until I lodged my
    > application. My application was rejected on the basis that I did not meet the Basic
    > Requirements. I did not have 12 out of 18 month's work experience before I lodge my
    > application. Although I did have 3 out of 4 Yrs experience for my 60 points. As it
    > happens, I lodged my application in May 2001 and I waited 14 month's in limbo land
    > before I found out my application was being rejected, but in that time I qualified
    > for the Basic Requirements and I now have a new application in Adelaide.
    > Mike &Karen
    > --
Hi All

My application was rejected because of my work experience.

I must start by saying that I retrained in a specific trade for the sole purpose my migrating to Australia. I got a Deeming Date for my trade dated from March 2001.

I had been in my occupation for 3 out of 4 Yrs which entitled me to 60 points, that was OK.

I then needed another 12 out of 18 month's work experience from my Deeming Date or before I could lodge my application.

You can not include the work experience for 12 out of 18 month's with in the 3 out of 4 Yrs work experience.
They are totally different issues.

So once you have got your occupation assessed and have been given a Deeming Date, you must have 12 out of 18 month's work experience before you can lodge an application.

I logded my application two month's after my Deeming Date, so not having enough work experience, my application was rejected.

Also, AHC London would not include the time I had been waiting for my application to be assessed (14 month's), to be added. Everything is taken in to account from the date your application was lodged.

I hope this makes sense.

Mike &Karen
Old Sep 15th 2002, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi,Nuta, I have been working as an IT lecture for 7 months, before this job, I worked on network administration for 4 years. So my recent work experience is: "11 months system manager + 7 months IT lecture" . Obviously I haven't worked on either of these two occupation for 12 months in the past 18 months, althought they are both on SOL.
I don't meet the basic requirement for recent work experience!!! Any friends agree with my opinion?

For Mike & Karen, thanks again for your timely response.
I don't know much about deeming date. I just remember many people in this NG said the work experience before deeming date won't be taken into account for the 10 points of work experience. of course, if you don't really need that 10 points, just fotget it.
Old Sep 15th 2002, 3:06 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Work experience that is obtained before the deeming date cannot be counted towards your basic requirement, neither can it be counted towards the 10 or 5 bonus points for specific work experience.

Peter

I just remember many people in this NG said the work experience before deeming date won't be taken into account for the 10 points of work experience. of course, if you don't really need that 10 points, just fotget it.
Old Sep 15th 2002, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I recieved a possitive assessment from ACS two days ago, and my total points for DIMIA should be 120 as I have more than three years experience as a network administrator in the past four years. Unfortunately I found a big bug in my application yesterday, I may not eligible for skills migration because i can't meet the basic requirement!!
it is mentioned in the Booklet that "if you nominated occupation is worth 60 pts, you must have been in paid employment in a skilled occupation(any occupation listed in SOL) for at least 12 of the 18 months before applying."
My experience is: 4 years network administrator+7 months IT lecture(teach computing fundamentals). So, in the past 18 months, i have worked in network adm for 11 months(2231-11), and IT lecture for 7month(2231-79). Although both of the occupations are listed in SOL, the "Basic Requirement" seems it only accepts you experience in a(but not two or more) skilled occupation. What a nightmare!
I have drunk a lot after I found this bug, and very very grateful for any suggestion or opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:
Have you checked out whether your occupation is eligible for SA or Vic STNI nomination. The points rules and job experience requirements are much more relaxed. Check out their websites, it's worth a try.

adelaidegirl
Old Sep 15th 2002, 6:38 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello adelaidegirl.

Unfortunately for koala the basic work experience requirement for the STNI visa is the same as for the Skilled Independent visa.

It's the Skilled-Designated Area Sponsored visa that has a more relaxed work experience requirement - which requires a sponsoring relative who lives in a "Designated Area."

Best regards.

Originally posted by adelaidegirl:

Have you checked out whether your occupation is eligible for SA or Vic STNI nomination. The points rules and job experience requirements are much more relaxed. Check out their websites, it's worth a try.

adelaidegirl
Old Sep 15th 2002, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Suddenly I find 120pts are not enough!

Thanks,Alan!

So you agree with me? That means it is imposible to combine the time of work experience in two different ocuupations to meet the 12-months requirement?

Last edited by koala; Sep 15th 2002 at 7:38 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2002, 7:49 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again Koala.

I've had a look in the Procedures Manuals that are used by the immigration case officers and there is nothing that I have found that says you have to work in the same skilled occupation for 12 out of the 18 months pre-application.

Rather, (and here I quote from the Regulations directly):

136.213 (1) Subject to subclause (2), the applicant has been employed in a skilled occupation:
(a) if 60 points are specified by Gazette Notice as available for the skilled occupation nominated in the application — for a period of, or for periods totalling, at least 12 months in the period of 18 months immediately before the day on which the application was made; or
(b) if 40 or 50 points are specified by Gazette Notice as available for the skilled occupation nominated in the application — for a period of, or for periods totalling, at least 24 months in the period of 36 months immediately before the day on which the application was made.

You have said that you have been engaged in a skilled occupation for at least 12 months in the last 18. There is nothing to indicate that you must have worked in only 1 skilled occupation to satisfy the requirement - and as such I would say that you're OK submitting an application, so long as the 12 months is after your skills assessment deeming date.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,Alan!

So you agree with me? That means it is imposible to combine the time of work experience in two different ocuupations to meet the 12-months requirement?
Old Sep 15th 2002, 7:55 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Alan,

I think Koala is equating "a" to be "only one".

It would have been much clearer if the regulations spelt out "in one or more" in place of "a", then we wouldn't have to make such assumptions.

Peter

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
I've had a look in the Procedures Manuals that are used by the immigration case officers and there is nothing that I have found that says you have to work in the same skilled occupation for 12 out of the 18 months pre-application.

Rather, (and here I quote from the Regulations directly):

136.213 (1) Subject to subclause (2), the applicant has been employed in a skilled occupation:
Old Sep 15th 2002, 11:27 pm
Waitinggame

adelaidegirl <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I recieved a possitive assessment from ACS two days ago, and my total
    > > points for DIMIA should be 120 as I have more than three years
    > > experience as a network administrator in the past four years.
    > > Unfortunately I found a big bug in my application yesterday, I may not
    > > eligible for skills migration because i can't meet the basic
    > > requirement!!
    > > it is mentioned in the Booklet that "if you nominated occupation is
    > > worth 60 pts, you must have been in paid employment in a skilled
    > > occupation(any occupation listed in SOL) for at least 12 of the 18
    > > months before applying."
    > > My experience is: 4 years network administrator+7 months IT
    > > lecture(teach computing fundamentals). So, in the past 18 months, i
    > > have worked in network adm for 11 months(2231-11), and IT lecture for
    > > 7month(2231-79). Although both of the occupations are listed in SOL,
    > > the "Basic Requirement" seems it only accepts you experience in a(but
    > > not two or more) skilled occupation. What a nightmare!
    > > I have drunk a lot after I found this bug, and very very grateful for
    > > any suggestion or opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > > :
    > Have you checked out whether your occupation is eligible for SA or Vic
    > STNI nomination. The points rules and job experience requirements are
    > much more relaxed. Check out their websites, it's worth a try.
    > adelaidegirl

Hi,

This is on the DIMA web site

"If your nominated occupation is worth 60 points (see the points for
your nominated occupation on the SOL), you must have been in paid
employment in a skilled occupation (any on the SOL) for at least 12 of
the 18 months before applying."

http://www.immi.gov.au/allfor-
ms/skill-basic.htm

It says "In a skilled occupation (Any on the SOL)" so I presume you
are
OK.

Best of luck !!

Cheers,
Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.