Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Such a daunting and long process....

Such a daunting and long process....

Old Nov 6th 2005, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

wannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the rough
Default Such a daunting and long process....

Im so amazed how hard it has been to get to the application stage. My husband and I decided about 2 years ago that we were gonna apply to migrate..... with that comes the financial issues, and are you gonna use an agent. At the time we had no money and I did not want to pay for a migrataion agent. So after lots of research... I put together the skills assesment my self. It took a good 10 months and lots of sucking up to get all the references from clients, business contacts and ex employers to write good references. I finally completed the skills assesemnt the best that I could, and posted it praying I had done it right!!!!! ........................ thankfully I did and my husbands skills(self employed)came back as accepted.

Then came the visa application. Another 1.5months of checking and rechecking my documents.. and I FINALLY POSTED THE APPLICATION 2 DAYS AGO!!

Its such a time consuming, money consuming, and nerve wracking experience. I cant wait for the visa to be in my hand!!

needed to get that off my chest!!! NOW RELAX
Old Nov 6th 2005, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Such a daunting and long process....

Originally Posted by wannabetherenow
Im so amazed how hard it has been to get to the application stage. My husband and I decided about 2 years ago that we were gonna apply to migrate..... with that comes the financial issues, and are you gonna use an agent. At the time we had no money and I did not want to pay for a migrataion agent. So after lots of research... I put together the skills assesment my self. It took a good 10 months and lots of sucking up to get all the references from clients, business contacts and ex employers to write good references. I finally completed the skills assesemnt the best that I could, and posted it praying I had done it right!!!!! ........................ thankfully I did and my husbands skills(self employed)came back as accepted.

Then came the visa application. Another 1.5months of checking and rechecking my documents.. and I FINALLY POSTED THE APPLICATION 2 DAYS AGO!!

Its such a time consuming, money consuming, and nerve wracking experience. I cant wait for the visa to be in my hand!!

I know what you mean, and we are using an agent! There is always something else holding you up though. Our application hasn't quite gone in yet, but I'm doing everything I can to pull the rest of it together today.

Good luck with your application
Old Nov 6th 2005, 10:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Aye - they certainly make you jump through some hoops. All we had to do was a spouse/dependent visa which is a walk in the park compared to some of these assessed ones. Ah well - concentrate on the end result
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:04 am

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

i wholeheartendly sympathise!!!

we sent our application off 3 weeks ago, and i am still so stressed, i thought before it went that i would get a sense of relief!!! but this has not happened.

now i am worrying about selling house, actually getting the visa!! if they say no, i dont know what we will do!!

i am not sleeping at night either - and i am so tired, i think this maybe what they call anxiety!!!

mand
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:43 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

All your hardwork will pay off, good luck.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

Hang on in there . We started the whole process about three years ago ( a few hold ups Dimia with change of points april 05) Got our visa in June and just sold the house. Off to Brisbane Jan 06 (hopefully) still loads to sort out but on the home stretch . My advice is be patient (easier said than done i know) and you will get there in the end.

Good luck

Steve
Old Nov 6th 2005, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Pauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nice

Know exactly what you mean. :scared:

We also did it all ourselves and started about two years ago. First skill assessment went off in Feb 04, failed. Its a long story but we finally passed the skills and we were granted our visa's last Friday, so keep going and you will get there in the end.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

milliemoo will become famous soon enoughmilliemoo will become famous soon enough

Hi there
no worries - we did it ourselves, TRA took the longest, application sent in march 05- granted in september 05- validation visit feb 06, now i'm scared
caron x
Old Nov 6th 2005, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you chose australia not Canada, the Q to get in there is so long aussie mates going for it have been told there is up to a 72 month processing time.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

wannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the rough

Its so nice to see others know exactly the torment thats involved! My babies nurse/midwife said yesterday...'I THOUGHT YOU WERE MEANT TO BE IN AUSTRALIA BY NOW'!! People think its a straight forward process and we can go when we like! Its like taking a Degree...But much more scary and in the end more rewarding!!! (I hope)

Oh well Im just biting my nails waiting to hear wether they have received my application or not!!! my life in in that envelope!

Good luck everyone x thanks for your replies
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:02 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Wannabe !! great post..

Youve hit the nail on the head, it is so hard, and we are all deserving of a fair chance and crack ofthe whip.

It is extortionately long, but when you have it, it soon becomes apparent how quick it was.

The irony is that most aussies would let any poms in. They are absolutely unaware of how difficult it is for us to get a visa.

I find and found, it most disheartening, that as a brit, and as i thought we had such close ties with our antipodean friends , how we seem penalised for being so close.

Perhaps VISAS are given and judged on the keep mates close but enemies closer, it certainly felt that way when we migrated.

Steve good luck
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Welcome Wannabe !! great post..

Youve hit the nail on the head, it is so hard, and we are all deserving of a fair chance and crack ofthe whip.

It is extortionately long, but when you have it, it soon becomes apparent how quick it was.

The irony is that most aussies would let any poms in. They are absolutely unaware of how difficult it is for us to get a visa.

I find and found, it most disheartening, that as a brit, and as i thought we had such close ties with our antipodean friends , how we seem penalised for being so close.

Perhaps VISAS are given and judged on the keep mates close but enemies closer, it certainly felt that way when we migrated.

Steve good luck

thank you steve x
Old Nov 9th 2005, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

if its any consolation hunny the skills assesment is the worst part and you ve done that so iwouldnt be so worried about the visa as long as you are healthy and not a criminalyou ll be fine start thinking about what your going to take and what not to take,for me that took the most time and effort,i really didnt realise we had so much stuff,thank god its behind me now