Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sucessfully (I think) Emigrated on £5,000

Sucessfully (I think) Emigrated on £5,000

Old May 18th 2005, 2:09 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sucessfully (I think) Emigrated on £5,000

OK, people asked me to update. We migrated on roughly $11,000 and people asked to update our progress (as I think most have a good deal more to play with!) When we arrived $6,000 went right away on a 4x4 2nd hand Jackaroo car. Got a bargin but the owner swore he's never sell to another Scotsman as long as he lived! (We'll ....we felt he should fix the faults rather than patch them up - the joy of having a mate here who knows a bit about cars!) We made sure we got a print out of our bank statement before we paid for car..that way we could show a larger balance in account to prospective Landlord - got a comfy 4 bed house in a month. Had to kip on floor of a mate for a month...but survived (even with 2 kids). Been here 2.5 months - realised that our skills were so very speciallised that it was very hard to find work - not qualifed for most jobs as was a lecturer and youth worker but all in a film and TV genre...but hubby got a job that he is very fullfilled with at the eleventh hour...literally.....1 week away from having to come back....$1.39 left in bank....but all is well! I knew it would be! Not quite in his line of work, but he's happy 9-5 (who'd a thought!) and It means I can persue my line of work - which is very much a who you know industry and he can provide for us - (I had 7 jobs in UK, so feel this is now a justified move on hubby's part!) getting settled finally - not the kind of gal that easily gels with women - so that cool....just enjoying time with my best pals - my two sons! They are loving it here. Eldest loves the new challenges that school brings - he's 6 - much more advanced here he's finding - constant quizzes, rewards, projects, parties...he loves the challenges. My 3 year old - well...he just enjoys anything life throws at him, smiley wee chappy. Finally making it on the Gold Coast - loved it at first - then missed Edinburgh SOOOOO much...now feeling better to miss there, than to be there and not have any options to go anywhere else! At least if all else failled here I could return to UK...what choice would I have there! I get messages daily from friends telling me that I made the best choice. But I miss my best matey Tim oh so very much and my Maw and Paw...but settling in here ok....I really like it now...it seems like the best of Uk and Florida all in one.....I'm so far gettin on just fine! Now to find me a job too! Doing my homework....but long slogg ahead! Good luck to one and all migrating with little funds. Don't let those with money let you believe it can't be done....early days yet...but with belief and determination.....it can be what ever you want it to be...DO IT! xxx
Old May 18th 2005, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sucessfully (I think) Emigrated on £5,000

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
OK, people asked me to update. We migrated on roughly $11,000 and people asked to update our progress (as I think most have a good deal more to play with!) When we arrived $6,000 went right away on a 4x4 2nd hand Jackaroo car. Got a bargin but the owner swore he's never sell to another Scotsman as long as he lived! (We'll ....we felt he should fix the faults rather than patch them up - the joy of having a mate here who knows a bit about cars!) We made sure we got a print out of our bank statement before we paid for car..that way we could show a larger balance in account to prospective Landlord - got a comfy 4 bed house in a month. Had to kip on floor of a mate for a month...but survived (even with 2 kids). Been here 2.5 months - realised that our skills were so very speciallised that it was very hard to find work - not qualifed for most jobs as was a lecturer and youth worker but all in a film and TV genre...but hubby got a job that he is very fullfilled with at the eleventh hour...literally.....1 week away from having to come back....$1.39 left in bank....but all is well! I knew it would be! Not quite in his line of work, but he's happy 9-5 (who'd a thought!) and It means I can persue my line of work - which is very much a who you know industry and he can provide for us - (I had 7 jobs in UK, so feel this is now a justified move on hubby's part!) getting settled finally - not the kind of gal that easily gels with women - so that cool....just enjoying time with my best pals - my two sons! They are loving it here. Eldest loves the new challenges that school brings - he's 6 - much more advanced here he's finding - constant quizzes, rewards, projects, parties...he loves the challenges. My 3 year old - well...he just enjoys anything life throws at him, smiley wee chappy. Finally making it on the Gold Coast - loved it at first - then missed Edinburgh SOOOOO much...now feeling better to miss there, than to be there and not have any options to go anywhere else! At least if all else failled here I could return to UK...what choice would I have there! I get messages daily from friends telling me that I made the best choice. But I miss my best matey Tim oh so very much and my Maw and Paw...but settling in here ok....I really like it now...it seems like the best of Uk and Florida all in one.....I'm so far gettin on just fine! Now to find me a job too! Doing my homework....but long slogg ahead! Good luck to one and all migrating with little funds. Don't let those with money let you believe it can't be done....early days yet...but with belief and determination.....it can be what ever you want it to be...DO IT! xxx
Wow! Brave lass. Sounds like you've got guts and the drive to make it.
Missing auld reekie to.
Good luck to you.
Ali
Old May 18th 2005, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

well done, it must have taken balls of brass to uproot from home with two young kids and no safety net.

I'm impressed, this will be a real inspiration to the rest of us that are worrying about not having enough cash.
Old May 18th 2005, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Thanx for the update, Glad it's all working out for you...just goes to show how little money you need to have to make a go of it!! Just take one day at a time

Best Wishes
Claire & family
Old May 18th 2005, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, What an amazing story. Well done to all of you for sticking at it. Do you know what your very last dollar would have gone on? Maybe a lottery ticket!!?

We are hoping to arrive Brissie in 2006 and most of our money will be tied up in the $100,000 dollar bond, so we are also looking at a tight budget to start with and the hope that a job will come quickly, otherwise it will be a hard slog to get to the year mark when we get our bond money back.

Good luck with the rest of your adventure.
Old May 18th 2005, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
Well Impressed ... you are an inspiration. What work did your husband manage to get in the end?
Old May 18th 2005, 3:14 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I would be that brave but am very impressed. Whereabouts on GC are you? Should meet up when we get there. You can always be best mates with hubby if not me
Old May 18th 2005, 3:31 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Well wholeworldwindow, it certainly takes some, and from one mad person to another. congratulations.
we arrived in sydney with less than you :scared: and we still made it. i think that having the pressure of no real money in the bank makes you settle a lot faster than when you have funds to spare.
Although not at the moment, the memories that you have created for yourselves when you look back, are priceless .

Good luck for the future and congrats.

louise
Old May 18th 2005, 3:40 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

your update has just given me a great big smile and with balls like yours you will be running the place by the time we get there next year,keep the updates coming .
best wishes jonni
Old May 18th 2005, 3:52 pm
Merlot

Damned well done, than you for sharing.

M

Old May 18th 2005, 5:40 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you wholeworldwindow for sharing your experience. We are heading to the Gold Coast with less than what you went with but I believe we have the determination to make it work. You've just told me what I needed to hear being that you can go with nothing and make it work.
Marie
Old May 19th 2005, 3:32 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all well wishers. I really worried before we left UK, as I was an avid reader of this site and money seemed to be such a sticky issue to many people. But the position I was in in Scotland was I was working 7 p/t jobs but still not able to afford to buy our own house or better our situation. We needed to get out the area we lived in as it was very oppressive, I was working with disadvantaged youths and living in a similarly challenged area. So we decided we had nothing to loose really, other than all our stuff, which we E-bayed and car bootied to come here. Very cleansing it was too! Just so wanted my kids to be able to have an outdoor life. I miss my parents very much, but they are very supportive. I really has been hard but when your over the worst of it you appreciate it all the more. (although I must admit - I had one night when I just needed sanity as I was so down - so my fabulous hubby put me in a posh B&B for 1 night with jacussi and bottle of fizzy wine with strawberrys, while he looked continued to sleep on the floor with the 2 kids at his mates house- it was AMAZING and re-charged me for the rest of the month! But I felt pretty selfish and it instantly humbled me - but at least I had a smile on my face!) Don't think i could have done this move at all if it were not for my old man - he's one in a billion and I feel I could climb Everest with the support he gives me and I thank him so much. Family is the very thing that has held us together and I am just gratefull we made the move and now have more leisure time together to enjoy our new life here. I still have down moments - as I think all migrants get that. Hubby is working in a printing/advertising place, and he seems to like it. Someone asked me about the last $1 - I'd have needed it to make that call to get our bond back for the plane fayre back to UK!
Moneypen - we're in Upper Coomera (the local school is great and it's in between so much stuff - hills, sea, work possibilities for me and Brissie close too) I would gladly meet up with you when you arrive. I like having women friends - just for some strange reason not many "get" me! Don't know why...perhaps when you meet me you can tell me why! LOL!
Best of luck to all those moving with little money and enjoy the challenge - you'll appreciate things so much more when you finally settle. (If any one needs a tour of the local charity shops or a garage sale companion - I'm the woman for the job! LOL!)
Old May 19th 2005, 5:29 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Your family sound brilliant. well done again.

louise
Old May 19th 2005, 11:58 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Originally Posted by louise4

Your family sound brilliant. well done again.

louise
Thanks for that Louise. Well done yourself and to all who give it a shot with no safety net. There must be others that, through no choice, have to come back to UK, as it's harder than we had thought to get work here. But then again I guess that depends on what you do. I have no work experience in those areas where jobs are abundant, but I'm also underqualified for some of the jobs I did in UK as here things seem to be more qualification based.
Old May 19th 2005, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

fantastic thread, we are just going through the nervous stage, we are luckily going with a little equity. I have a flipant attitude that we will find work but my husband is finding this difficult to match! Employment seems to be the biggest barrier when thinking about moving.
It was really nice to hear your experience
Take care and thanks
Tara

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.