Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The success story you have all waited to hear.

The success story you have all waited to hear.

Old Oct 24th 2003, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default The success story you have all waited to hear.

Its often struck me nobody has ever come back on here and told some really great how wonderful it turned out story so to be fair I should post this. ( I dont mean the Oh weve been here two weeks and love it but a really longer term thing).

Dinner tonight to celebrate with friends one year in OZ. They know I am posting this so panic not. Right, couple 34 and 36, 3 kids 10, 7, 2. Three weeks after arriving (they had visited first but many years ago) he found a job digging out drains and laying pipes through a guy who lived up the road. Purpose, get contacts, get any OZ experience he could. 5 months later he and one of the OZ guys he worked with set up a building related business (asked not to say exactly) using the aussie guys qualifications for the license and our friends money. Already have more work than they can handle, only drawback seems to the 7 days a week he now works! Bought house after sussing out schools and renting (and a little help from moi), house in good area that cant help but keep going up in value, bought for mid $300,000's put in a pool and could easily now sell for $430,000.

She totally loves the climate, although admits every person she meets tells her last summer was the mildest ever. Hes a bit concerned as he works outside and says its a bit of a slog in summer. Kids, two totally love it, although one of them admits to bit too sweaty in her words. Middle one still not sure, but all have made heaps of friends at school and not one has been teased. Mum is still using english books at home tho as she feels school is a long way behind what the kids did in UK, but is not worried as they have no plans to go back.

Complaints, usual stuff, no shops, no nightlife, and find the daylight thing a complete mystery, but all in all they absolutely love it, and guess what the mum does, drops all the kids at childcare/school and lies on the beach most days.

So for some there really is a dream life waiting.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 6:39 am
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light

Success story? Maybe? One thing for sure,
I would not have accepted working 7 days a weeks while my wife
lies all day on the beach.

Maybe if she had found a part time job he could have gotten the weekend off.

This is not ment as critisism. It is just not my idea of a success story.

/Per Erik
Old Oct 24th 2003, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by The Norwegian
Success story? Maybe? One thing for sure,
I would not have accepted working 7 days a weeks while my wife
lies all day on the beach.

Maybe if she had found a part time job he could have gotten the weekend off.

This is not ment as critisism. It is just not my idea of a success story.

/Per Erik
I guess with 3 kids and no relatives here, she would have big problems with childcare in school hols and when kids get sick. Employers here do ask what your solution is for childcare if they get ill. Anyway they are very happy with it. I do think long hours in your own business is generally the accepted thing, many people think own business is much less stressful than a job, for me tho a job would have been a peice of cake compared to the risks and hours we did in the early stages. But yes I can see your point.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it's a bit different when you're here as the spouse of an Aussie rather than a whole British family migrating. But I'd consider my story to be successful so far.

I moved out here 3 years ago, so it's not all that recent.

I've got a good job, considering my qualifications and experience. My bf and I have bought the flat we were renting, and we got a great deal in a sought-after area. We should have no difficulty paying off the mortgage even if there is a big interest rate rise. I can walk to work, but when I occasionally get the bus I notice that it's a much more pleasant experience than when I lived in London.

I love Adelaide, the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.

I've made a lot of friends, many of which are my partner's established friends, but I've also developed friendships independently.

All in all I'm happy with my move.

Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:23 am
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe a was a bit harsh.

It is also my dream to start up my own company when I move to Oz. I know I have to work hard in the beginning to get everything up and running, BUT I rather work long hours during the weekdays than work the weekend. I also expect my wife to get a job. Two incomes are after all better than one. Especially in the start up phase of a company when you won't make much money.

But people are different. If your friends are happy with their arrangement then that is what counts.

/Per Erik
Old Oct 24th 2003, 8:13 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nara
I know it's a bit different when you're here as the spouse of an Aussie rather than a whole British family migrating. But I'd consider my story to be successful so far.

I moved out here 3 years ago, so it's not all that recent.

I've got a good job, considering my qualifications and experience. My bf and I have bought the flat we were renting, and we got a great deal in a sought-after area. We should have no difficulty paying off the mortgage even if there is a big interest rate rise. I can walk to work, but when I occasionally get the bus I notice that it's a much more pleasant experience than when I lived in London.

I love Adelaide, the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.

I've made a lot of friends, many of which are my partner's established friends, but I've also developed friendships independently.

All in all I'm happy with my move.

Sounds like you have done very well Nara & glad that you're happy with things. I, too, was wondering about all the people on here who have been here longer term (ie 12 months or more) & who are happy, settled & have done well for themselves. Plenty of success stories I thought. Maybe the ones who truly are happy stories get drowned out in all the other stuff? Some have aussie spouses, some have uprooted families & have come over blind, so to speak.

Surely a persons story counts whether or not they have an aussie spouse?

Dotty, glad that your friends are enjoying it here. Good luck to them!
Old Oct 24th 2003, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by The Norwegian
Maybe a was a bit harsh.

It is also my dream to start up my own company when I move to Oz. I know I have to work hard in the beginning to get everything up and running, BUT I rather work long hours during the weekdays than work the weekend. I also expect my wife to get a job. Two incomes are after all better than one. Especially in the start up phase of a company when you won't make much money.

But people are different. If your friends are happy with their arrangement then that is what counts.

/Per Erik

I suggest you do a bit more research before working for yourself.
I have been self employed and have worked 0600 until 2100 for seven days a week for the last seven years.
Haven't had a day off sick either, The money is great but you do not get time to enjoy it!
Cannot wait to get to Oz to get some time to myself
Just think on you will go from working for 1 boss to working for everyone who thinks they're your boss and the first time you say no to them could be the last time you are asked !
Oh, and do not forget that after you finish at 9pm then eat you will have to go back to work doing accounts, typing quotes and pricing up jobs.
Yes, being self employed is a great way to an early grave
Old Oct 24th 2003, 2:18 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: The success story you have all waited to hear.

Originally posted by dotty
Its often struck me nobody has ever come back on here and told some really great how wonderful it turned out story so to be fair I should post this. ( I dont mean the Oh weve been here two weeks and love it but a really longer term thing).

Dinner tonight to celebrate with friends one year in OZ. So for some there really is a dream life waiting.
Nice to know people are doing well, but have heard many good success stories. Still, I think 1 year is still a little early to be saying it is a success especialy with the business.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 3:36 pm
BuggerMan

Originally posted by Rossi
I suggest you do a bit more research before working for yourself.
I have been self employed and have worked 0600 until 2100 for seven days a week for the last seven years.
Haven't had a day off sick either, The money is great but you do not get time to enjoy it!
Cannot wait to get to Oz to get some time to myself
Just think on you will go from working for 1 boss to working for everyone who thinks they're your boss and the first time you say no to them could be the last time you are asked !
Oh, and do not forget that after you finish at 9pm then eat you will have to go back to work doing accounts, typing quotes and pricing up jobs.
Yes, being self employed is a great way to an early grave

Rossi, I have the deepest respect for you. How can you go on year after year working this kind of hours? Don't you get tired of it all? What about your familiy, if you have any that is?
I guess some people enjoy being self employed and work long hours.
I guess it also depends on the kind of business you have.
Some businesses are not profittable no matter how many hours you work.
Others are generating money immediately.

It probably depends on many factors

/Per Erik
Old Oct 24th 2003, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to hear all success stories however recent. Hope we can post one in a years time!!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Sounds like you have done very well Nara & glad that you're happy with things. I, too, was wondering about all the people on here who have been here longer term (ie 12 months or more) & who are happy, settled & have done well for themselves. Plenty of success stories I thought. Maybe the ones who truly are happy stories get drowned out in all the other stuff? Some have aussie spouses, some have uprooted families & have come over blind, so to speak.

Surely a persons story counts whether or not they have an aussie spouse?

Dotty, glad that your friends are enjoying it here. Good luck to them!
Hi MrsDB,

Yes you're right, of course my story counts I've left my family and friends behind in the UK/Ireland and have made a life for myself here.

I suppose it's just a lot harder to come over with a family - persuade everyone it's a good idea, get visa, sell house, find new jobs etc. I was much easier for me to make the move - meet aussie, go to Oz on WHV, apply for spouse visa.

It is a shame not to hear more from the long-termers. Russell Driver was always on here posting about Adelaide, but he hasn't posted for ages now. (I wonder is it was around the time that this forum was separated from Usenet?)
Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:27 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nara
Hi MrsDB,

Yes you're right, of course my story counts I've left my family and friends behind in the UK/Ireland and have made a life for myself here.

I suppose it's just a lot harder to come over with a family - persuade everyone it's a good idea, get visa, sell house, find new jobs etc. I was much easier for me to make the move - meet aussie, go to Oz on WHV, apply for spouse visa.

It is a shame not to hear more from the long-termers. Russell Driver was always on here posting about Adelaide, but he hasn't posted for ages now. (I wonder is it was around the time that this forum was separated from Usenet?)
Nara, I was just being smart , your story definitely counts . Same as ours does ... Dagboy has been here two & a half years now, absolutely loves it & has no plans to return to the UK. Yes probably easier with an aussie wife, but still had to get a visa, sell house in UK etc. Did some hard work & negotiations, applied while he was in the UK & got a job lined up for when he got here. Own a great house etc etc. I will spare everyone the details

It would be interesting to hear from people who have been here longterm & were posting on here before the move as well. Yes harder moving a whole family, but everyones stories & circumstances are different, just because someone has a spouse doesnt make it easy or their story less of a success .
Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: The success story you have all waited to hear.

I think just getting here with family & marriage still intact and being happy & healthy is a success story in itself. Afterall, that's what everyone wants regardless of anything else.

Di
Old Oct 27th 2003, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

lynn kennedy is an unknown quantity at this point

well said Di.