Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suburbs within a 10k radius of Chandler, Brisbane

Suburbs within a 10k radius of Chandler, Brisbane

Old May 3rd 2007, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suburbs within a 10k radius of Chandler, Brisbane

Hi Brisbanites

Does anyone have advice on nice suburbs within a 10k radius of Chandler.

Looking for a property that could be rented out, but could also be suitable as a family home.

Thanks

Rudi
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suburbs within a 10k radius of Chandler, Brisbane

Originally Posted by Rudi
Does anyone have advice on nice suburbs within a 10k radius of Chandler.
Define "nice suburbs". Don't we all want nice suburbs? To me, most suburbs east of Chandler are "nice" as I like being near the water; but then to others, suburbs north-west of Chandler are "nice" because they're closer to the city; and then there are others who think suburbs south of Chandler are "nice" because you get more land for your money.

Looking for a property that could be rented out, but could also be suitable as a family home.
I assume you're after a 3 or 4 bedroom house then?! I can't think of any 3 or 4 bedroom property that couldn't be rented out or couldn't be suitable as a family home.

What are your budget and requirements? You've gotta be more specific. You can get a lovely water-front house for a few million dollars in say Raby Bay, or you can get an older 3-bedroom house on a small block for $300k in a more modest area, all within 10km radius of Chandler. They can both be very rentable and are perfectly okay as family home, though for very different families.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Define "nice suburbs". Don't we all want nice suburbs? To me, most suburbs east of Chandler are "nice" as I like being near the water; but then to others, suburbs north-west of Chandler are "nice" because they're closer to the city; and then there are others who think suburbs south of Chandler are "nice" because you get more land for your money.

I assume you're after a 3 or 4 bedroom house then?! I can't think of any 3 or 4 bedroom property that couldn't be rented out or couldn't be suitable as a family home.

What are your budget and requirements? You've gotta be more specific. You can get a lovely water-front house for a few million dollars in say Raby Bay, or you can get an older 3-bedroom house on a small block for $300k in a more modest area, all within 10km radius of Chandler. They can both be very rentable and are perfectly okay as family home, though for very different families.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Hi Mrs JTL

Hmm - yes, I was a bit vague!!!

OK, more specifics. I guess when I say "nice" I mean decent family suburbs. For example, I love where we live now. We are close to the countryside, but also only 10 mins from a major shopping centre. I guess most people would be considered to be "professional" people.

Budget - no idea!!! I guess up to $500K, but it depends what return I can get on the rent. 4 bedrooms. I would go for modern rather than an older property. I'm not bothered about being near the sea - I don't want to pay the premium for it. The 10K (ish) radius to Chandler is the main criteria - north, south, east or west!!!

What is the rental market up there like? Are there lots of empty properties or are people "fighting" over them?

Also, what is the property market doing in Brissy right now?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Rudi
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mrs JTL

Hmm - yes, I was a bit vague!!!

OK, more specifics. I guess when I say "nice" I mean decent family suburbs. For example, I love where we live now. We are close to the countryside, but also only 10 mins from a major shopping centre. I guess most people would be considered to be "professional" people.

Budget - no idea!!! I guess up to $500K, but it depends what return I can get on the rent. 4 bedrooms. I would go for modern rather than an older property. I'm not bothered about being near the sea - I don't want to pay the premium for it. The 10K (ish) radius to Chandler is the main criteria - north, south, east or west!!!

What is the rental market up there like? Are there lots of empty properties or are people "fighting" over them?

Also, what is the property market doing in Brissy right now?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Rudi
Most suburbs near Chandler are close to major shopping centres. The main ones are Westfield in Carindale for all the high street type of shops, and Capalaba Central for everything else. And if you go in the opposite direction of the city you're in semi-rural suburbs, e.g. Sheldon, Burbank, etc.

Where we live, i.e. Birkdale, we're close to everything too, but then there are many on BE who say the bayside suburbs are full of poms. There're lots of parks near us and a creek where you can fish from the shore easily. Birkdale is one of the slightly cheaper suburbs on the bayside but again price can very a lot too depending on the exact location and quality of the property.

Rental return in the bayside area varies very much, just like everywhere else. We have rented out our old house in Ormiston and the return is rubbish comparing to what you'd get from a savings' account. Next time the tenants renew the lease, we'll probably be increasing the rent a bit - it'll still be terrible return though. However I do know of properties that give as much as 5% annual return.

The rental market near us is very tight. Many properties get rented out without even being put on the papers or realestate.com.au. I can't comment on Brisbane in general though. You'll need to see it for yourself.

Mrs JTL
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:03 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I know plenty of people who will be looking for good family rentals in this area, me included.

I dont think you would go far wrong if you want to buy rental properties in this area although most people I know what to be in or around Cleveland, Thornlands etc, which isn't to far from Chandler
Old May 11th 2007, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

OK, so I have been researching this some more.

I've been looking at Thorneside, Wellington Point and Birkdale.

Thorneside seems to be the cheapest of these suburbs and Wellington Point the most expensive, however, they are all affordable.

People say you get what you pay for......

So what is it that makes Thorneside cheaper......what is better about the other two suburbs? Are they all areas where I could buy a property and rent it out without too many problems? Are they family areas with decent schools?

Sorry for all the questions, it's hard researching when I can't actually be there.

Thanks everyone

Rudi
x
Old May 11th 2007, 12:14 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rudi

If i had my choice would pick Wellington Point near the water, direct train line into the City, nice little shopping centre, and good state schools.

Birkdale is next door but further from water but nice all the same, if I remember rightly quite a large housing estate (thats not a negative) again close to schools the state high school lies between Birkdale and Wellington Point

Dont know Thorneside so cant comment sorry most of the bayside area is lovely its just some places are further from train line.

Hope this helps

kaye
Old May 15th 2007, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So what is it that makes Thorneside cheaper......what is better about the other two suburbs? Are they all areas where I could buy a property and rent it out without too many problems? Are they family areas with decent schools?
Perhaps it's because Thorneside is a very small suburb and the properties there tend to be a bit older than those in Birkdale and Wellington Pt. There are only a handful of small shops and no schools in Thorneside, but there are a few nice parks and one day care centre.

Also because it's a very small suburb you can hear the trains from almost any house - you get used to it, it's not that bad. Another thing is depending on what direction the wind's blowing and where you live relative to the sewerage plant, you may sometimes notice an unpleasant smell. It's worse in the hotter months than in the cooler months though.

Birkdale and Wellington Point are bigger suburbs so you will see more properties listed. The waterfront properties can be very expensive. There are state primary schools in both suburbs and a private school in Wello Pt. There are some good restaurants and bars in Wello Pt, and a big supermarket in Birkdale.

You can look up suburb profiles on the REIQ site for more details:
http://www.reiq.com.au/BuySellRent/c...yID=1&show=all

http://www.reiq.com.au/BuySellRent/c...ID=38&show=all

Mrs JTL
Old May 15th 2007, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that info - really useful to know about the school thing. Where do kids from Thorneside go to school then?

I have seen things (not such nice things) written about Alexandra Hills.....maybe it was you that wrote them!!! What is the real issue there? I am just trying to determine a cost of property vs potential rental income thing.

Thanks again

Rudi
Old May 15th 2007, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Most suburbs near Chandler are close to major shopping centres. The main ones are Westfield in Carindale for all the high street type of shops, and Capalaba Central for everything else. And if you go in the opposite direction of the city you're in semi-rural suburbs, e.g. Sheldon, Burbank, etc.

Where we live, i.e. Birkdale, we're close to everything too, but then there are many on BE who say the bayside suburbs are full of poms. There're lots of parks near us and a creek where you can fish from the shore easily. Birkdale is one of the slightly cheaper suburbs on the bayside but again price can very a lot too depending on the exact location and quality of the property.

Rental return in the bayside area varies very much, just like everywhere else. We have rented out our old house in Ormiston and the return is rubbish comparing to what you'd get from a savings' account. Next time the tenants renew the lease, we'll probably be increasing the rent a bit - it'll still be terrible return though. However I do know of properties that give as much as 5% annual return.

The rental market near us is very tight. Many properties get rented out without even being put on the papers or realestate.com.au. I can't comment on Brisbane in general though. You'll need to see it for yourself.

Mrs JTL
Surly in the long run you will make more for your money on renting than you will puting that cash into a saving account due to the rate of rise in price in the bayside area.
Old May 15th 2007, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that info - really useful to know about the school thing. Where do kids from Thorneside go to school then?
Birkdale, Birkdale South or Wellington Pt State, or other private schools in nearby suburbs, as they're all within 10 minute drive from Thorneside.

I have seen things (not such nice things) written about Alexandra Hills.....maybe it was you that wrote them!!! What is the real issue there? I am just trying to determine a cost of property vs potential rental income thing.
It was someone else as I can't recall saying anything really negative about Alexandra Hills, apart from not being on the train line and not on the coast. You must have been thinking of someone else?

Oh BTW, before anyone accuses me of saying "not such nice things" about Thorneside - it's a nice and quiet suburb, and I live not too far from the Thorneside station.

Mrs JTL
Old May 15th 2007, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tabby
Surly in the long run you will make more for your money on renting than you will puting that cash into a saving account due to the rate of rise in price in the bayside area.
Perhaps, only time will tell. For the past 2 years the return from our other investments has been much better than that from the rental.

Mrs JTL