Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suburbs of Sydney

Suburbs of Sydney

Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:20 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suburbs of Sydney

Not sure how big a house you get in Balmain these days for $700pw but when we looked back in 2008 they were very small and mostly in a shocking state for around that.

Another vote for Erskineville and Newtown, maybe parts of Darlington too. Lots of little patches of green.

Over the other side - Lane Cove, Crows Nest, Artarmon, maybe St Leonards? Not sure what you'd get in Waverton. We rented for under $700 in McMahons Point but it was a tiny house and quite rare round there I think. Kirribilli probably out of budget.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:26 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Not sure how big a house you get in Balmain these days for $700pw but when we looked back in 2008 they were very small and mostly in a shocking state for around that.

Another vote for Erskineville and Newtown, maybe parts of Darlington too. Lots of little patches of green.

Over the other side - Lane Cove, Crows Nest, Artarmon, maybe St Leonards? Not sure what you'd get in Waverton. We rented for under $700 in McMahons Point but it was a tiny house and quite rare round there I think. Kirribilli probably out of budget.

Hey, I live in Darlington! It's getting smaller and smaller as the University grows and grows. Lovely leafy streets though, and plenty of parks about, particularly on and around campus.

S
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
you can get plenty of appartments in the area that would be big enough,for that amount, which also solve the security parking problem, but you are right decent rennovated houses may be a little bit above that.

Potentially neighbouring suburbs Drummoyne, Five Dock, Lilyfield, Haberfield or Abbottsford would offer more in the way of actual houses (possibly detatched too) to rent in that price band.

However the 'cafe culture' would be a little less full on than the likes of Balmain or Newtown.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
you can get plenty of appartments in the area that would be big enough,for that amount, which also solve the security parking problem, but you are right decent rennovated houses may be a little bit above that.

Potentially neighbouring suburbs Drummoyne, Five Dock, Lilyfield, Haberfield or Abbottsford would offer more in the way of actual houses (possibly detatched too) to rent in that price band.

However the 'cafe culture' would be a little less full on than the likes of Balmain or Newtown.
The dog factor may rule out a lot of apartments though, maybe some houses too. Some landlords are fearful of tenants with pets, its the smell you see...gets everywhere but dog owners just do not smell it!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:47 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hey, I live in Darlington! It's getting smaller and smaller as the University grows and grows. Lovely leafy streets though, and plenty of parks about, particularly on and around campus.
S
I was there on Saturday! My GBF lives in Calder Rd - lovely terraced house, quite big, deck and garden too. I think it would be in budget but not sure they come up for rent very often. (He walks his dog round the campus and Victoria Park.)

As one not currently working, if Mrs Moriarty is not going to work initially I can confirm she really will appreciate somewhere with a bit of life, cafe culture, etc. And as one half of a childless couple, I would say it's nice to be able to wander out to eat on an evening, too
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
The dog factor may rule out a lot of apartments though, maybe some houses too. Some landlords are fearful of tenants with pets, its the smell you see...gets everywhere but dog owners just do not smell it!
valid point. I hadnt thought about that.

our buidling is a no pets....but that hasnt stopped the two old indian ladies on the floot below from having an irritating pet yappy dog/rat thing.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

moriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to all

Thanks for all the replies, most helpful!
we are staying in McMahons Point at the moment and it took me 35mins to drive to Blacktown this morning. I have to start at 07:00 so no real traffic.

We'll have a good look at all the areas mentioned but Lane Cove looks good with a short drive to the cafes, but we'll have to find a good dog walk.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:26 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
valid point. I hadnt thought about that.

our buidling is a no pets....but that hasnt stopped the two old indian ladies on the floot below from having an irritating pet yappy dog/rat thing.
Shoot them....the ladies or the dogs, your choice!!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

go-oz has a brilliant futurego-oz has a brilliant futurego-oz has a brilliant futurego-oz has a brilliant futurego-oz has a brilliant futurego-oz has a brilliant futurego-oz has a brilliant futurego-oz has a brilliant future

Have a look at www.cityhobo.com. Gives an impression. I'm not sure how accurate, but entertaining anyway.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:34 pm
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by go-oz
Have a look at www.cityhobo.com. Gives an impression. I'm not sure how accurate, but entertaining anyway.
I think it's pretty accurate, certainly for the suburbs I know. Often recommend it Not sure about the prices it gives though, never checked them out.