Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

suburbs in perth - advice please!

suburbs in perth - advice please!

Old Jan 29th 2011, 6:57 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: suburbs in perth - advice please!

I`ve been a member on BE for 6 years now and some things never change. There are always those whose who like to sneer and look down on others to make themselves feel better. I personally do not "aspire" to live in any of the suburbs mentioned by Weebie, believe it or not people have individual needs and preferences and most are adult enough to go their own way without being swayed by the sneering and bile of others. I was always under the impression that everybody was "somebody". Many are happy living in the "slums" and do not consider them as such (personally my idea of a slum is very different to my experience of the suburbs so described). I love Freo, it has a great vibe to it and if I`d moved here when in my 20`s it would be ideal - now however, Im happy just to visit and enjoy the cafe`s and pub and restaurants - had plenty of really enjoyable meals there. We all choose where welive for different reasons - no point working in Rockingham and living in Hillarys really is there.
I do wonder how some people can tell us so much about all these different places - personally I`d have thought it would be rather hard to see anything when your head is shoved so far up your own arse.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

That reply does what it says on the tin for me, thanks
Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
I`ve been a member on BE for 6 years now and some things never change. There are always those whose who like to sneer and look down on others to make themselves feel better. I personally do not "aspire" to live in any of the suburbs mentioned by Weebie, believe it or not people have individual needs and preferences and most are adult enough to go their own way without being swayed by the sneering and bile of others. I was always under the impression that everybody was "somebody". Many are happy living in the "slums" and do not consider them as such (personally my idea of a slum is very different to my experience of the suburbs so described). I love Freo, it has a great vibe to it and if I`d moved here when in my 20`s it would be ideal - now however, Im happy just to visit and enjoy the cafe`s and pub and restaurants - had plenty of really enjoyable meals there. We all choose where welive for different reasons - no point working in Rockingham and living in Hillarys really is there.
I do wonder how some people can tell us so much about all these different places - personally I`d have thought it would be rather hard to see anything when your head is shoved so far up your own arse.
I rarely come on here nowdays for the reasons in the first part of what you said-but mate, you have summed it up, I may be pissed but I nearly rocked myself to sleep laughing with this post
Old Jan 29th 2011, 9:16 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Funny how perceptions change, isn't it? 12 years ago people though we were 'slumming it' moving from Nedlands to Wembley. Hillarys was about as far north as it got and, apparently no one in their right mind would live in Mullaloo, Scarborough, Karrinyup or Carine. Oh, and I 'wouldn't want to mix with anyone who lived in Joondalup'.
One woman even told me she was so glad she'd married her rather wealthy husband so she was saved from living in Jolimont or Shenton Park!

Last edited by CEM; Jan 29th 2011 at 10:26 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:34 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
You exaggerate - the only facility we lack in my area is bulk-billing GPs.

Some areas are more expensive than others, that's just how it is. Some people would consider that we live a long way out. I remember soon after I came to Perth, a woman at work asked me where I lived. When I told her, she replied that she couldn't live that far out. It's only 12 km from GPO!. I asked her where she lived and it was in South Perth - an example of the Perth suburb snobbery that is common in certain circles here, and referred to by Weebie. I never brag about where I live, in fact, I have never said on BE where I live. However, when people from other areas have a bit of a dig about where I live, there are subtle ways to get your point across without being unpleasant .
I like your suburb, I have never said I didn't. I was at a party there over Christmas and the house I visited was a prime of example of why we didn't move there. Nice large block but the owners have just spent a small fortune renovating. We had the finances to buy a house which was 1970s chic but couldn't have afforded to have changed a thing and anyway Mr NB isn't the most inclined DIY'er!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Where does it end, though?

If people in Perth are as snobby as some are saying then even if you DID live in a $5m mansion in Peppermint Grove then the people in the $10m mansion would look down on you.

Affluenza, anyone?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Peeps in perf aint snobby... Theres a few bad apples in the barrel.. Nothing that can t be ignored
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I like your suburb, I have never said I didn't. I was at a party there over Christmas and the house I visited was a prime of example of why we didn't move there. Nice large block but the owners have just spent a small fortune renovating. We had the finances to buy a house which was 1970s chic but couldn't have afforded to have changed a thing and anyway Mr NB isn't the most inclined DIY'er!
The sub-divisions that opened up in the 1970s have houses with very dubious decor and architecture, although I hesitate to use those 2 words when talking about 1970s Perth houses. The decor and layout are hideous by today's standards and would easily send those 2 Scottish designers on "How not to decorate" into hissy fits . The amount of renovation needed is huge, and in Perth it is stupidly expensive to renovate rather than detonate. So that is what a lot of people do, and you just pay for block value, rather than the 1970s house on that block. Some live in the hideous pile for a few years, then knock it down and build a new place and that is what we did, too. In the UK and older parts of Perth, you just wouldn't knock down a 30-80 year old house. It is very wasteful of the resources that went into building. However, this is what happens in our area because it is such a good area to live in, but people just can't live in a 170s horror. I think the designers at the time were taking illegal substances.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3

If people in Perth are as snobby as some are saying then even if you DID live in a $5m mansion in Peppermint Grove then the people in the $10m mansion would look down on you.

Affluenza, anyone?
No, I don't think they would, because you had the good taste and judgement to move into their suburb. I have found that even if you rent in one of those "good" suburbs, that is more acceptable than deciding to live somewhere else, deemed "unacceptable" by these type of people.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CEM
Funny how perceptions change, isn't it? 12 years ago people though we were 'slumming it' moving from Nedlands to Wembley. Hillarys was about as far north as it got and, apparently no one in their right mind would live in Mullaloo, Scarborough, Karrinyup or Carine. Oh, and I 'wouldn't want to mix with anyone who lived in Joondalup'.
One woman even told me she was so glad she'd married her rather wealthy husband so she was saved from living in Jolimont or Shenton Park!
Originally Posted by eddie007
Peeps in perf aint snobby... Theres a few bad apples in the barrel.. Nothing that can t be ignored
There are these people around, but you would probably not have any contact with them unless you were involved in The Western Suburbs way of life, as CEM was.

One mum at our school told me that she didn't want her child to go a school 2 suburbs away, as it was too far (Nedlands to Shenton Park was acceptable, Nedlands to Subiaco was not). Another mum at school told me that she was prepared to drive for a maximum of 10 minutes to take her children to school, so that although she considered that Hale and St Mary's were better schools, she wasn't prepared to drive to them. These people might be the in the minority in Perth, but they are out there. Fortunately most plebs don't come into contact with them.

Just remembered, a dad in our son's football team (a Western Suburbs team) commented at an away match, "I've never been to Carine before", as if it was the end of the earth!

Last edited by HelenTD; Jan 30th 2011 at 3:23 am.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:22 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3

Affluenza, anyone?
I haven't experienced snobbery from Australians in the 6 years I have lived here. One of my best friends here has never commented on where I live (and she lives in a very affluent suburb) and neither have any of her friends. To be honest the worst snobbery I have witnessed have been from the British who were fortunate enough to come over a long time ago or from women who have fallen on their feet and snagged an Australian with money. They are the ones to avoid.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=HelenTD;9138555]There are these people around, but you would probably not have any contact with them unless you were involved in The Western Suburbs way of life, as CEM was.

th![/QUOTE

Was a sloane in the eighties... people like this are about... But They are an anachronism today... Sooo passe... Not worth the stretch... And YES I have come across them in perf on occassion, but honestly, they're not the kind of people that WE bother with.

The new black is more colourful
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
I haven't experienced snobbery from Australians in the 6 years I have lived here. One of my best friends here has never commented on where I live (and she lives in a very affluent suburb) and neither have any of her friends. To be honest the worst snobbery I have witnessed have been from the British who were fortunate enough to come over a long time ago or from women who have fallen on their feet and snagged an Australian with money. They are the ones to avoid.
I don't know any British like that, it's local Western Australians who are the snobs here, in certain circles. Even ones who don't necessarily live in "acceptable" suburbs themselves look down on some others, if not on their suburb, then on their house or how they dress. I do live in an area with a high local population, and that's the same where we go to school.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

I don't know any British like that, it's local Western Australians who are the snobs here, in certain circles. Even ones who don't necessarily live in "acceptable" suburbs themselves look down on some others, if not on their suburb, then on their house or how they dress. I do live in an area with a high local population, and that's the same where we go to school.
I haven't had such experiences with the locals even when my kids went to school in Marmion. We mix at lot with people down your way and at no time has our location or nationality been mentioned.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you obviously don't get out much do you?

there is NOTHING worse than nOuveaux riche in any society, Take a small colonial setting where money replaces breeding and culture as a foundation for 'society' and heaven help you!!! they have neither the breeding, nor class nor manners to behave properly...

WA isnt old enough or cultured enough to have a 'society set' based on anything other than wealth... And the nouveauxally riche pommes are just as bad as the "locals"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.