Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suburbs to Live in Melbourne

Suburbs to Live in Melbourne

Old May 24th 2013, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suburbs to Live in Melbourne

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Agreed - in fact inner in, the culture and proximity of cafe's and various scenes creates that community - even if neighbours don't know all their neighbours...they create links between like-minded people..
(even in a rural setting people won't know everyone near them).

Again, yes, Berwick outperforms say Narre Warren, Hallem, Hampton Park, Berwick South etc due to the fact it is established, has a cafe culture (even if you can't compare to the inner burbs!) and is seen as the place to be. But move down towards Clyde or even Cranbourne N and increasingly it might be a bit isolated.

Narre Warren has loads of junk food places and Fountain Gate which is increasingly making the suburb a dormitory town. I know people who remember it when it was all trees....and cows!
Yep, when I was young we used to go for a family drive to the country town of Werribee! There was nothing much but paddocks from Altona to Werribee. Heinz and GM built factories in the country on the edge of Melbourne at Dandenong! Now it must be built up from Dandenong for what 15 miles? To the north LaTrobe University was built on the outskirts at Bundoora and now it's built up to Diamond Creek about 10 miles on.
Old May 24th 2013, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yep, when I was young we used to go for a family drive to the country town of Werribee! There was nothing much but paddocks from Altona to Werribee. Heinz and GM built factories in the country on the edge of Melbourne at Dandenong! Now it must be built up from Dandenong for what 15 miles? To the north LaTrobe University was built on the outskirts at Bundoora and now it's built up to Diamond Creek about 10 miles on.

I know people that remember Pascoe Vale as paddocks and very little beyond it. Thats back in the late 40's Early 50's though. Just shows how quickly Melbourne has grown. Bloke I lived next door to before we bought our house in Coburg, built his house as the first one in the subdivision that was Pascoe Vale between Cumberland Rd and Derby St. The Ex Service men got allocated plots there. Pascoe Vale is in the inner muncipality of Moreland now.

Old May 24th 2013, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I know people that remember Pascoe Vale as paddocks and very little beyond it. Thats back in the late 40's Early 50's though. Just shows how quickly Melbourne has grown. Bloke I lived next door to before we bought our house in Coburg, built his house as the first one in the subdivision that was Pascoe Vale between Cumberland Rd and Derby St. The Ex Service men got allocated plots there. Pascoe Vale is in the inner muncipality of Moreland now.

Yep, I can remember when there wasn't much but paddocks beyond the 'Bluestone College' (Pentridge). My parents built post war in West Newport and were on the edge of the built-up area! Then again we used to learn of Melbourne's 2 mill population at school - 4.5 mill now!
Old Feb 24th 2014, 11:59 am
Just Joined

shanaka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
I live in Berwick and its definitely one of the better outer suburbs with some nice cafes n restaurants...feel safe here and its fairly quiet away from the main drags.Having said that we adore popping into melb cbd for a nite out or a days look-see so the master plan is to sell up in a few yrs and rent close to the city somewhere near a tramline.... Well thats the plan anyway ;-)

Lee
Hi stuckinblighty,

I am moving to Berwick from London end of next month. What do you think about Berwick community and schools. British expats living in the area ?

Thanks
ST