Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Suburbs between Wollongong and Sydney??

Suburbs between Wollongong and Sydney??

Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ryem78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suburbs between Wollongong and Sydney??

Hi all!

We're moving to Sydney in August and I'm researching where we should live. Initially our plan was to head to Manly, but since seeing photos of a friend's house in Wollongong we've decided that maybe South would be a better (and cheaper!) option for us. Can anyone recommend nice suburbs between Wollongong and central Sydney?

We don't have jobs yet but I imagine we'll land up working in central Sydney somewhere. I'm sure the commute will be a b*tch but we're used to travelling 45 mins into work and we'll sacrifice a shorter commute for the lifestyle.

Our dream place would be a 2/3 bed house, nearish to the beach, with a golf course nearby (5/10kms would be great), and after living in London for 7 years we don't want to feel as though we're living in a city! Our budget would be max AUS$600 per week. Is that realistic or are we dreaming?

Thanks!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:39 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suburbs between Wollongong and Sydney??

Hiya,

Have a look at the train route between Wollongong and Sydney, quite a few places along the route seem quite nice. From memory there's Corrimal, Bulli, Stanwell Park. In fact, as I'm bored at work, here's a link!

http://www.cityrail.info/timetable/t...&day=wd&dir=up

We're heading probably that direction too, my brother lives in Corrimal (until tomorrow!) then moves to Figtree on the southern side of Wollongong.

good luck!

Therese
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There is not a lot of suburbs south of Cronulla (until you get to the fringes of Wollongong) as the Royal National Park lies between Sydney and Wollongong.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Check out Sutherland Shire, between 40 and 60 minutes to the CBD by train, near the beach & royal national park, plenty of golf courses and a $600k budget should get a 3/4 bed house
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Thirroul, Austinmer, Bulli all sound like ur cup of tea to me!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!! I had a look at Sutherland Shires - any thoughts on Bundeena? It sounds amazing!! Are there any other areas in Sutherland Shires that are on the beach, don't have the big city feel, and are still affordable (compared to the Northern Beaches!)?

At the moment we've got Bundeena, Thirroul, Austinmer and Bulli on our list...
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ryem78 View Post
Thank you!! I had a look at Sutherland Shires - any thoughts on Bundeena? It sounds amazing!! Are there any other areas in Sutherland Shires that are on the beach, don't have the big city feel, and are still affordable (compared to the Northern Beaches!)?

At the moment we've got Bundeena, Thirroul, Austinmer and Bulli on our list...
Bundeena is very pretty but quite isolated. By road it is a long drive from everywhere as it takes a good 15 minutes just to get out of the royal national park. There is a private ferry service that runs between Bundeena and Cronulla from where you can then get a train to Sydney but this would definitely be a long commute which is something Aussies really don't do.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Ah that's a pity - I was hoping I'd stumbled across a little piece of paradise! Thanks for the advise!