British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Suburbs between Wollongong and Sydney?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/suburbs-between-wollongong-sydney-583983/)

Ryem78 Jan 13th 2009 3:30 pm

Suburbs between Wollongong and Sydney??

Hi all!

We're moving to Sydney in August and I'm researching where we should live. Initially our plan was to head to Manly, but since seeing photos of a friend's house in Wollongong we've decided that maybe South would be a better (and cheaper!) option for us. Can anyone recommend nice suburbs between Wollongong and central Sydney?

We don't have jobs yet but I imagine we'll land up working in central Sydney somewhere. I'm sure the commute will be a b*tch but we're used to travelling 45 mins into work and we'll sacrifice a shorter commute for the lifestyle.

Our dream place would be a 2/3 bed house, nearish to the beach, with a golf course nearby (5/10kms would be great), and after living in London for 7 years we don't want to feel as though we're living in a city! Our budget would be max AUS$600 per week. Is that realistic or are we dreaming?

Thanks!

RedT Jan 13th 2009 3:39 pm

Re: Suburbs between Wollongong and Sydney??

Hiya,

Have a look at the train route between Wollongong and Sydney, quite a few places along the route seem quite nice. From memory there's Corrimal, Bulli, Stanwell Park. In fact, as I'm bored at work, here's a link!

http://www.cityrail.info/timetable/t...&day=wd&dir=up

We're heading probably that direction too, my brother lives in Corrimal (until tomorrow!) then moves to Figtree on the southern side of Wollongong.

good luck!

Therese

JAJ Jan 14th 2009 3:28 am

There is not a lot of suburbs south of Cronulla (until you get to the fringes of Wollongong) as the Royal National Park lies between Sydney and Wollongong.

spottydog Jan 14th 2009 6:32 am

Check out Sutherland Shire, between 40 and 60 minutes to the CBD by train, near the beach & royal national park, plenty of golf courses and a $600k budget should get a 3/4 bed house

homewardbound Jan 14th 2009 8:09 am

Thirroul, Austinmer, Bulli all sound like ur cup of tea to me!

Ryem78 Jan 15th 2009 12:44 pm

Thank you!! I had a look at Sutherland Shires - any thoughts on Bundeena? It sounds amazing!! Are there any other areas in Sutherland Shires that are on the beach, don't have the big city feel, and are still affordable (compared to the Northern Beaches!)?

At the moment we've got Bundeena, Thirroul, Austinmer and Bulli on our list... :thumbsup:

spottydog Jan 16th 2009 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Ryem78 (Post 7171748)
Thank you!! I had a look at Sutherland Shires - any thoughts on Bundeena? It sounds amazing!! Are there any other areas in Sutherland Shires that are on the beach, don't have the big city feel, and are still affordable (compared to the Northern Beaches!)?

At the moment we've got Bundeena, Thirroul, Austinmer and Bulli on our list... :thumbsup:

Bundeena is very pretty but quite isolated. By road it is a long drive from everywhere as it takes a good 15 minutes just to get out of the royal national park. There is a private ferry service that runs between Bundeena and Cronulla from where you can then get a train to Sydney but this would definitely be a long commute which is something Aussies really don't do.

Ryem78 Jan 16th 2009 7:41 am

Ah that's a pity - I was hoping I'd stumbled across a little piece of paradise! Thanks for the advise!