Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

suburbs to avoid: SEQ

suburbs to avoid: SEQ

Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:47 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default suburbs to avoid: SEQ

ok, I thought I'd start a thread on suburbs to avoid, as the question pops up quite frequently. Feel free to add to the thread but make sure you include some "evidence" to support your position.

Narangba

Located approx 1hr / 35km north of Brisbane. Frequently crops up in the local news headlines, stories typically involve drunk women assaulting police officers with fists, bottles and fingernails. The Narangba Industrial Estate provides some employment opportunities, for those who don't mind a little exposure to toxic waste. In terms of entertainment, there are weekly burnout events.

http://northern-times.whereilive.com...-with-bottles/

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...2-3102,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...0-3102,00.html
Old Sep 21st 2009, 4:00 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: suburbs to avoid: SEQ

Originally Posted by asprilla
ok, I thought I'd start a thread on suburbs to avoid, as the question pops up quite frequently. Feel free to add to the thread but make sure you include some "evidence" to support your position.

Narangba

Located approx 1hr / 35km north of Brisbane. Frequently crops up in the local news headlines, stories typically involve drunk women assaulting police officers with fists, bottles and fingernails. The Narangba Industrial Estate provides some employment opportunities, for those who don't mind a little exposure to toxic waste. In terms of entertainment, there are weekly burnout events.

http://northern-times.whereilive.com...-with-bottles/

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...2-3102,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...0-3102,00.html

.... and what makes Narangba different to many other suburbs? Yes I will agree that there are problems but I' sure that there are other suburbs with the same or worse problems, like Inala for instance. Also I don't need news clippings to prove that there are drunks, domestic disputes, crime, burnnouts etc in Aspley for example. I work with several people that quite like living in Narangba, and find it quite comfortable.

Last edited by The Bloke; Sep 21st 2009 at 4:03 am.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Yes I agree, only list the suburbs if you actually know its a bad apple from experience.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 4:36 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Yes I agree, only list the suburbs if you actually know its a bad apple from experience.
Never lived in Inala, and never will. Went there once to see someone and had to go to the shopping centre. Was glad to get out with car in one piece.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
OK . . . just to refine it a little further, only list a suburb if you know its a bad apple because you live / have lived there.

Just to summarise . . . if you live / have lived in a shithole, name names.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:06 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
.... and what makes Narangba different to many other suburbs? Yes I will agree that there are problems but I' sure that there are other suburbs with the same or worse problems, like Inala for instance. Also I don't need news clippings to prove that there are drunks, domestic disputes, crime, burnnouts etc in Aspley for example. I work with several people that quite like living in Narangba, and find it quite comfortable.
nothing makes it different. whether a subject is "good" or "bad" will always be subjective... and I reckon it is generally a dodgy area to live. But people who live there might beg to differ.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

SEQ is one of the biggest 'Burbs' in the world....avoid it.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:18 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by spartacus
OK . . . just to refine it a little further, only list a suburb if you know its a bad apple because you live / have lived there.

Just to summarise . . . if you live / have lived in a shithole, name names.
I don't need to live in Cairns to know that it is hot, and I don't need to live in Inala to know that it is dodgy...

Having said that - if a person has direct experience of a dodgy suburb, their subjective views carry much more weight than someone like me who has never lived in e.g. Narangba or Inala. Most expats don't move to dodgy areas, so we might not get too many firsthand accounts.

So... post away whether or not you've lived there before....but the firsthand experiences will obviously be the most interesting..
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by asprilla
Most expats don't move to dodgy areas, so we might not get too many firsthand accounts.
I was thinking that myself ...

Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My issue would be with what's 'dodgy' If you come from say Toxteth and lived there in the 70s/80s anywhere else could be heaven on earth. If however, you lived in Bourton on the Water and moved to the same suburbs you'd possibly think them dodgy.

As for SEQLD, it's a huge area, can you narrow it down a bit? The tiddly bit I live in has been called rough by one BE member (who doesn't live here and obviously doesn't know it) but it's fab for us. Not crime/violence free but no where is. It's about the same as where I came from in the UK.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My issue would be with what's 'dodgy' If you come from say Toxteth and lived there in the 70s/80s anywhere else could be heaven on earth. If however, you lived in Bourton on the Water and moved to the same suburbs you'd possibly think them dodgy.

As for SEQLD, it's a huge area, can you narrow it down a bit? The tiddly bit I live in has been called rough by one BE member (who doesn't live here and obviously doesn't know it) but it's fab for us. Not crime/violence free but no where is. It's about the same as where I came from in the UK.
Bourton on the Water has its dodgy bits I'll have you know - there were 3 thefts from cars in one year ............3!!!!!

Ok, that was about 8 years ago, so it may have increased to about 6 by now
Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikiL
Bourton on the Water has its dodgy bits I'll have you know - there were 3 thefts from cars in one year ............3!!!!!

Ok, that was about 8 years ago, so it may have increased to about 6 by now
I blame the tourists
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:14 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

ok how about gold coast/brisbane/sunshine coast?! Still very big with 100's of suburbs. But I don't reckon there are too many dodgy ones

I know what you're saying, one man's "good" is another man's "bad". But I still reckon we can all mostly agree on some of the dodgiest, there probably aren't too many.

here's another couple.

Woodridge

Very high unemployment, and the parks are a little bit dodgy after dark.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...26/2430692.htm
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...9-3102,00.html

Inala

Former housing commission estate, 20km southwest of Brisbane CBD. Poor rates of school attendance, high rates of unemployment. Brisbane correctional centre & wolston park mental institution are 4km west of Inala. There is a lot of heavy industry in the immediate vicinity of Inala, and plenty of truck traffic.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...09/2414383.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...24/1987175.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...10/2114868.htm
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

If you stay within 5-10km of the city, you're usually pretty okay, but like anything, there are exceptions to the rule. Some inner city suburbs like Woolloongabba, West End and Annerley have their dodgy parts.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67
If you stay within 5-10km of the city, you're usually pretty okay, but like anything, there are exceptions to the rule. Some inner city suburbs like Woolloongabba, West End and Annerley have their dodgy parts.
Fortitude Valley, New Farm, Bowen Hills......