Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Suburb? Point Cook?Essendon?

Which Suburb? Point Cook?Essendon?

Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice
Default Which Suburb? Point Cook?Essendon?

Researching suburbs to move too, having 2 children i want to make sure we get it right! Ive been looking at Point Cook and Essendon so far, need to know as much as possible before making the leap as i couldnt bear to make the wrong decision and upset my children. They are aged 2 & 6.
Any advice would be welcome.xx
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

pinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Which Suburb? Point Cook?Essendon?

Hi Sonn, in exactly the same position as you. Moving over in July and been looking at Point Cook and Hoppers Crossing. Renting in Geelong when we arrive then taking it from there. Have 4 children 17, 16, 12 and 5 so I know exactly how youre feeling. Keep me informed if you have any info!!! jane
Old Apr 26th 2008, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

welovebonds is an unknown quantity at this point

We are also looking around similar areas and Geelong, with a move out date of middle of August this year. We also have a 2 year old (who will be 3 when we move out), so would be lovely to meet up. I don't know about you but we will not know anyone.

I am now slightly panicking, Sonn have you found something in Geelong to rent and if so who are you using???
Old Apr 26th 2008, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

pinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the rough

We are moving out there end of July a couple of weeks before you!!!!! How exciting!!!!!

Would love to meet up with you and with Sonn, it would be great to compare notes!!!
Old Apr 26th 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Originally Posted by pinkjane8
We are moving out there end of July a couple of weeks before you!!!!! How exciting!!!!!

Would love to meet up with you and with Sonn, it would be great to compare notes!!!
Thanks for getting back to me...we are only just starting the visa process but wanted to get ahead of the game by finding a suitable suburb so i can do as much research as possible. Good luck to you both.
Keep in touch.xx
Old Apr 26th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sonn
Thanks for getting back to me...we are only just starting the visa process but wanted to get ahead of the game by finding a suitable suburb so i can do as much research as possible. Good luck to you both.
Keep in touch.xx
What you really need is a shortlist to drive around and explore once you get here - list your criteria (such as budget, distance from city/job, distance from beach etc). We narrowed ours down to about 5 areas and then took a good look around once we arrived. It's almost impossible to get a feeling what will be right for you without being here and seeing for yourselves.

Good luck with it all.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thats what we did as soon as we decided to go. Its been quite a long process but we're nearly there - keep going!!!!!

Please keep us updated would love to know how you're progressing and when we get there i'll give you the lowdown on area etc.

Then when you're here we can all meet up!!!!
Old Apr 26th 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

I totally agree with you. The research you did from England - was it completely different when you got there or did it turn out pretty much as discribed?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with you. The research you did from England - was it completely different when you got there or did it turn out pretty much as discribed?
Yes! It's hard to get an overall picture of a suburb just with a photo from realestate.com.au of nice looking houses. I remember seeing these huge new/newish house in Cranbourne, Hoppers Crossing etc for a very good price, but once we drove around these estates, we couldn't believe how small the blocks were and how barren some of the new estates are. We even looked around some show homes on brand new estates and were amazed at the house you could get for your money (though apparently some of the build quality is questionable), but again just huge bulldozed, brown areas with hardly a tree or any infrastructure in sight. I'm sure after many years, they will look more pleasant!

We rented in a big estate (not from choice, but due to lack of rental choice) and it wasn't for us.

I also thought I wanted to be near the beach, but once we investigated the hills - we both fell in love with the area! I always liked the look of the houses in the hills, but was worried about creepy crawlies (we keep the house sprayed and it's no problem and in fact see very little eve in the garden).

Last edited by The Crow; Apr 26th 2008 at 1:39 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

welovebonds is an unknown quantity at this point

PinkJane8 who have you used to get your rental property in Geelong?

It would be lovely to meet up once we are out...will keep you posted.

Sonn, would be happy to do a write up on the areas that we end up visiting which might help.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

We are going to the Riverglen Holiday Park in a chalet for a month on arrival. Apparently its a nightmare and almost impossible to rent from England you need to be there.

We are going to use that first month to get car, rental etc. hopefully it works out ok or after the month dont know where we're going!!!! Well all adds to the adventure yes I keep having to smile or i'd CRY
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:11 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you will find this will always be the case
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

DO U MEAN RENTING FROM ENGLAND OR HAVING NOWHERE TO GO?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:24 pm
East Mids to Vic

Laura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really nice

Hi Jane

We are also from Leicester and also looking to go to Geelong, but not till next Feb...just wanted to say I hope it all goes well and would be lovely to meet up with everyone once we get there...we have girls of 7 & 3.
We are also looking at the holiday places to start for a couple weeks to a month so would be nice to hear how you get on with that too!!.

Thanks
Laura
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Laura,

Yes will definately keep you informed. How far in the process are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.