Reload this Page >

Suburb Advice Pleasssseee

Suburb Advice Pleasssseee

Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

CLW11978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suburb Advice Pleasssseee

Hello,

Myself, hubby and 4 year old daughter are moving to Melbourne in 10 weeks time, and we think my husbands job is likely to be in Mount Waverley. We are planning on renting for a while before we buy but are trying to ensure we rent in the area we will buy as our daughter will start school in jan/feb. We have narrowed down a few suburbs where we think we would like, being Edithvale, Chelsea Heights, bon beach and maybe Mount Eliza, and we will likely be able to buy something up to $900k, can anyone please give me their opinion on where we should choose with regards to primary schooling, transport links, family facilities etc, and are very open to new options, but definately planning on being near the coast.

Sooo excited

Thank you
Old Jun 29th 2011, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future
Default Re: Suburb Advice Pleasssseee

Mt Eliza is the prettiest - but furthest away. Bonbeach is sometimes talked about as being a little downmarket for a coastal location but it looks alright to me. Never really understood that one.

For 900k you could probably scrape into Sandringham, Black Rock, Beaumaris, etc.
All much further in, on the train line and offering a better range of schools, lifestyle, city access, etc.

A round million is a nicer working figure for those areas, but there are still properties for under 900.

Last edited by Phlanger; Jun 29th 2011 at 4:28 am.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 7:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Suburb Advice Pleasssseee

Originally Posted by CLW11978
Hello,

Myself, hubby and 4 year old daughter are moving to Melbourne in 10 weeks time, and we think my husbands job is likely to be in Mount Waverley. We are planning on renting for a while before we buy but are trying to ensure we rent in the area we will buy as our daughter will start school in jan/feb. We have narrowed down a few suburbs where we think we would like, being Edithvale, Chelsea Heights, bon beach and maybe Mount Eliza, and we will likely be able to buy something up to $900k, can anyone please give me their opinion on where we should choose with regards to primary schooling, transport links, family facilities etc, and are very open to new options, but definately planning on being near the coast.

Sooo excited

Thank you
Hi, we live in Mordialloc, which is two suburbs over from Edithvale. There's some very good schools round here - our girls are in prep at Parkdale Primary which is an excellent school. 900k round here should get you a good 4 bed house on a 700m2 block within walking distance of the sea.

Mordialloc is an area packed full of young families. Its an older area so in the main the blocks are bigger with older houses on them, although many are being demolished and replaced with either one big or two small houses on the same block.

Other suburbs to consider if you want to be by the beach are Aspendale, Chelsea, Carrum, Patterson Lakes and the other way Parkdale and Mentone.

All of those are great for the train line except Patterson Lakes.

Chelsea Heights is not such a flash area and is further from the beach and it has no train line, it would be a 10 min drive to the beach, you couldnt walk it.

By the way, in order to start school in Feb 2012, your daughter will need to be five before April 30th 2012. But if her birthday is after Christmas, I personally would hold her back a year, most people do here and if she was the youngest in the class she might struggle.

Any more help needed about the area - please ask.

BB
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:51 am
Just Joined

CLW11978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suburb Advice Pleasssseee

Hi, thank you so much for that info, and I will certainly look at Mordialloc as that sounds as though its a good choice, and thanks for the info on the other areas.

My daughter is 5 in December, but she has been to a very good private daycare centre here since she was very young so can recognise most numbers and all letters, can write a few words (mummy, daddy, her name etc) and is just starting to learn to read, she can also do some basic adding and taking away, I really dont want her to struggle at school, and was hoping to put her into school in feb so that she is able to make friends, she is also very excited about going to "big school" do you think she will be OK to go into school there with her current abilities, or do you think she would struggle? really dont want to get it wrong, would hate for her to struggle at school after such a big move. I also didnt realise you could hold them back a year which could prove very useful.

Thanks again for your advice, its really appreciated.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:02 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Suburb Advice Pleasssseee

Originally Posted by CLW11978
Hi, thank you so much for that info, and I will certainly look at Mordialloc as that sounds as though its a good choice, and thanks for the info on the other areas.

My daughter is 5 in December, but she has been to a very good private daycare centre here since she was very young so can recognise most numbers and all letters, can write a few words (mummy, daddy, her name etc) and is just starting to learn to read, she can also do some basic adding and taking away, I really dont want her to struggle at school, and was hoping to put her into school in feb so that she is able to make friends, she is also very excited about going to "big school" do you think she will be OK to go into school there with her current abilities, or do you think she would struggle? really dont want to get it wrong, would hate for her to struggle at school after such a big move. I also didnt realise you could hold them back a year which could prove very useful.

Thanks again for your advice, its really appreciated.
If she is 5 in December she would be one of the younger, but not the youngest in her class. From the abilities you describe it sounds like she's ahead for her age so you may well be OK.

btw, I emailed you some other info, check your junk folder perhaps as emails from this site sometimes end up in there.

BB